HELP! I play so bad and need help! Ask my friend.

JCW78

JCW78

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Five handed home cash game

Blinds 1-2

Raise of 4x the BB from the button

I'm in the small blind with 9/2 hearts
* I've played the guy who raised on several occasions and knew there was a good chance i could steal the pot from him. I made the call with my 9h2h.

BB calls

FLOP: 2,5,8 rainbow

I caught a piece and thinking this flop was low enough I fired out 30, an obvious overbet not wanting him to draw out if he had 2 overs. BB folds to my bet which I was positive he would. The initial raiser pushes all iin.

It would cost me 9 to win 88.

I started doubting my hand so I approached it this way: If he has an overpair I have 9,9,9,2,2- 5 outs. I really did think about throwing my hand away. But I had 5 outs so i figured I was just over 11% to hit if I was behind.

I looked right at my opponent before I called and asked, Any chance you played like AJ off and missed? He said no.

I made the call since it cost me just over 10% and I was over 11% to hit.
He flipped over AK off and my pair of 2's won. He was pissed and started yelling. How could you make that call with just 2's, that kind of bullshit. He goes on ranting that this game is all luck and blah blah blah. Part of me felt bad, but I thought I made the right call.

So please tell me how bad I play and help justify what my friend was saying. Or let me know I did the right thing or any other thoughts opinions you might have about this hand.

One last note, I frequently leave this home game with more money than I showed up with.

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well obviously you should never ever ever fold this for the last $9 as played on the flop. However, you played the hand so absolutely terrible up to that point.

First of all this is a preflop fold ABSOLUTELY EVERYTIME NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU THINK YOU OWN THE GUY. What are you expecting to do with a crap hand, with no pf initiative in the hand and having to play postflop oop? To make this even worse, btn only has 47BBs so you aren't ever getting him to fold any decent hand post flop.

The flop play is really bad as well. You don't know what the bb has here, and by making a huge bet with a crap hand you could find yourself in huge trouble if the bb has flopped something and you are both deeper stacked. Even if you want to get the money in vs the btn, you should be much more inclined to c/c than bet call. In the former case the btn's range is very wide as he might cbet most of his range on the flop, but by donking out on the flop you are polarizing btn's calling range to hands that typically beat you (obviously villain is an idiot so that isn't as much the case here). So in one case villain is putting money into the pot with a wide range which you probably have decent equity against, while in the other case villain is putting money into the pot with a much narrower range, which you don't have good equity against.

So basically you did play the hand completely wrong, but your friend shouldn't get cocky as he played absolutely terrible as well (shoving with no fold equity getting incorrect pot odds when he basically never has better than 24% equity in the pot).

RickH2005

RickH2005

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wulp, although you played this absolutly HORRABLY (you really shoulda folded PF) you DID get lucky AND I'd rather be lucky than good anyday!:p