Going too hard?

loopmeister

loopmeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read HoH this week.. and one of my leaks is betting too hard when I'm ahead for fear of someone catching.

So I've been standing a little closer to the fire, and my bankroll is already seeing the benefits.

Now in this hand, I was left with the feeling that I lost out on a few bob:

** Game ID 13129569 starting - 2006-10-18 11:54:37
** On Request [Hold 'em] (2.00|4.00 No Limit - Cash Game) real money

- Poker_Fairy sitting in seat 1 with R450.00 <- Tight, passive
- pietermengel sitting in seat 2 with R90.50 <-About as dangerous as a 18yr old Labrador
- loopy sitting in seat 4 with R471.85
- nutflop11 sitting in seat 5 with R307.75 [Dealer] New player. Seems solid
- FiT sitting in seat 6 with R127.50 No read
- TRACY sitting in seat 7 with R133.60 No read
- Karin sitting in seat 8 with R50.00 Here fishy fishy

FiT posted the small blind - R2.00
TRACY posted the big blind - R4.00

** Dealing card to loopy: 10 of Clubs, Ace of Clubs
Karin called - R4.00
Poker_Fairy folded
pietermengel raised - R8.00
loopy called - R8.00 raiser has no idea, so easy call
nutflop11 called - R8.00
FiT called - R8.00
TRACY called - R8.00
Karin called - R8.00

** Dealing the flop: 7 of Spades, Jack of Hearts, 9 of Hearts
FiT checked
TRACY checked
Karin checked
pietermengel checked
loopy checked I'll take a free card, thanks
nutflop11 bet - R4.00
FiT called - R4.00
TRACY called - R4.00
Karin called - R4.00
pietermengel raised - R8.00
loopy called - R8.00 Pot odds looking okay here. Lots of callers so far, and from the way the table was playing I expected another 2 or so
nutflop11 called - R8.00
FiT called - R8.00
TRACY called - R8.00
Karin called - R8.00

** Dealing the turn: 8 of Spades
FiT checked
TRACY checked
Karin checked
pietermengel checked

Ok, I hit my straight and am almost certainly ahead; but there are still 5 people in the pot! And flush draws on hearts and spades! This unnerved me a bit, so I think I may have gone in too hard here:

loopy bet - R35.00
nutflop11 folded
FiT folded
TRACY folded
Karin went all-in - R34.00
pietermengel folded
Karin shows: Jack of Clubs, Queen of Diamonds

** Dealing the river: 7 of Clubs
loopy wins R159.00 from the main pot

Thoughts?

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, just my thoughts. (probably get shot for this. ;))

I don't like the PF cold call of a raise (even from the CO) with A 10 suited. Either fold PF or raise to isolate. This isn't that strong of a hand (not seven handed IMO, six handed it gets much better), is very easily dominated, and needs PF aggression if you are going to play it. A limp in with this many loose/weak players is inviting trouble.

Since you're here, the check/call on the flop is fine by me (pot odds were there). Anything more aggressive with that many players is inviting trouble again. Especially on a board that is fairly well coordinated for straights/flushes. Although I guess there can be an argument made for raising here. Afterall, this is a no limit table and everyone is min-betting and min-raising.

Made your straight on the turn. Gotta be happy about that since you were most likely behind until this point. You are almost definitely ahead here (only Q10 beats you right now). But the board is (higher) straight and double flush coordinated. This is not the time to worry about letting people catch up.

There is a fundamental difference between letting people catch up some so they call you on the end vs letting them out draw you and bleed you on the end. You need to bet to protect your hand in this situation. It is damage prevention. There are so many outs that could hurt you here, now, that I say you need a 3/4 to pot sized bet. Sometimes you need to risk leaving a little money on the table to actually win the hand, because if you lose the hand you get no money.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You read the whole thing in 1 week?
Who reads. I just looked at the pictures when I went through it. I was just going to wait for the movie, but I couldn't wait. ;)

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you bet too much on the turn. Not enough if anything. Just because the rest of the table are a bunch of mini-bet-mini-raise donkeys doesn't mean you have to be!