Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OP:

It seems that you (and others on CC) just want to win every pot you enter. All you are doing is trying to justify this play. It's an easy setmine, fold to postflop aggression. The donk bet is bad. I don't care what happened, win/lose, whatever... it's fishy.

Money saved is money earned. Even if these jokers showed up with total BS this time, you will not be so lucky in the future. What you're doing is building a pot OOP, with no info, with a piece of shit hand.

Stop being results oriented. Poker is one never ending session. Thsee are bad habits to develop.

If I'm blunt, or come off rude, I'm sorry for that. I have a good heart, and I mean well. I just want to try and help.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
about a 3rd of his range is pocket pairs, and the rest of his range is overs. against his range, im dead even on the flop
UTG has the same range, im dead even.

On this flop, im at 33% equity against both ranges, with 33% pot odds.

Im not betting for value because all that would accomplish is an inflated pot with 50% equity in a side pot with 50% pot odds on that side pot.

by making MP fold, I improve to 50% equity while keeping the 33% pot odds.

I dont know about you guys, but if i miss the flop, the chances are really slim that I'm playing back at a donk bet with air, although i would say he probably has about 10% bluff raises in his range. 33% of the time, he has the better hand and plays back, and the last 57% of the time, he folds.

I think you guys are absolutely right about playing this hand better pre, but I think the bet was +EV

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OP:

It seems that you (and others on CC) just want to win every pot you enter. All you are doing is trying to justify this play. It's an easy setmine, fold to postflop aggression. The donk bet is bad. I don't care what happened, win/lose, whatever... it's fishy.

Money saved is money earned. Even if these jokers showed up with total BS this time, you will not be so lucky in the future. What you're doing is building a pot OOP, with no info, with a piece of shit hand.

Stop being results oriented. Poker is one never ending session. Thsee are bad habits to develop.

If I'm blunt, or come off rude, I'm sorry for that. I have a good heart, and I mean well. I just want to try and help.

I get it, i know yo mean well, and I hope I'm not sounding rude either. the last post is the logic that was going through my head when I made the bet. increasing my equity by going from 3 hands to 2 hands to get from even EV to positive EV. The logic i described in that post is before I saw the results, and I think the results only affirm that what i wanted to happen does happen at least once.

Just looked at my stats, and out of 14k hands, ive only seen the flop while out of position and without being preflop aggressor 460 times. out of those 460 times, ive donked 67 times. i wouldnt call 67 out of 14,000 a habit. I think there are times to donk, and I think this is one of them. although it could have been avoided with better preflop play as you guys said.

Last edited:
TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
about a 3rd of his range is pocket pairs, and the rest of his range is overs. against his range, im dead even on the flop
If UTG managed to show up with Q7s here, then there's going to be plenty of 5x and 6x hands in his range as well.

By having UTG call, your equity decreases since he must've called with something. You're not always going to stumble upon the bottom of their range.

And even if you're ahead, any card that falls could improve your opponent and you'll never be sure. So what's the plan then? Bet again? What if he calls again?
Check? What if he bets? Still like your underpair?

You're flying blind, and that comes with being OOP. You won't be winning these often enough for the play to be correct, imo.

Just looked at my stats, and out of 14k hands, ive only seen the flop while out of position and without being preflop aggressor 460 times. out of those 460 times, ive donked 67 times. i wouldnt call 67 out of 14,000 a habit.
No, but 67 out of 460 could be a habit.

This is exactly why I raise a lot of donks, even (and especially) if I miss. How do you like your hand facing a raise? Do you fold? If you do, thank you for the free donk bet. ;)

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
By having UTG call, your equity decreases since he must've called with something. You're not always going to stumble upon the bottom of their range.

And even if you're ahead, any card that falls could improve your opponent and you'll never be sure. So what's the plan then? Bet again? What if he calls again?
Check? What if he bets? Still like your underpair?
UTG was already all-in pre with 9.2bb. theres nothing for him to call. with, 0.47 he's shoving in desperation with such a wide range, i actually didnt think his range was even that wide though to show up with Q7, i thought he had more like a 17% shoving range here

No, but 67 out of 460 could be a habit.
maybe ill go through and see what some of these donk bets were.

This is exactly why I raise a lot of donks, even (and especially) if I miss. How do you like your hand facing a raise? Do you fold? If you do, thank you for the free donk bet. ;)

thats why I plan to flat some raises if he plays back but check/fold to continuing aggression on the turn.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

On this flop, im at 33% equity against both ranges, with 33% pot odds.

Im not betting for value because all that would accomplish is an inflated pot with 50% equity in a side pot with 50% pot odds on that side pot.

I dont know about you guys, but if i miss the flop, the chances are really slim that I'm playing back at a donk bet with air, although i would say he probably has about 10% bluff raises in his range. 33% of the time, he has the better hand and plays back, and the last 57% of the time, he folds.

I think you guys are absolutely right about playing this hand better pre, but I think the bet was +EV

Ok this is all fine and good. But be honest, about 80% of this jibber jabber was not going through your mind in real time.

Even the comment about playing the hand differently PF, you still are trying to think of ways you can WIN the hand. I think this is a big problem for alot of people. They just have to win every single pot they enter.

In real time, the cliff notes of your thoughts are probably more like "I don't think this flop hit V. We might be ok against dude that's all in, so let's just donk, and see if we can get dude to fold"

This is all stuff you have had a chance to think about afterwards. In real time, I'm certain is was much more simplistic thinking....

The thing that makes it bad is there are about 17,000 turn cards that are bad for you. You have no plan for future streets if V just flats. Are you just going to triple barrel, guns blazing, unimproved? Really?

UTG was already all-in pre with 9.2bb. theres nothing for him to call. with, 0.47 he's shoving in desperation with such a wide range, i actually didnt think his range was even that wide though to show up with Q7, i thought he had more like a 17% shoving range here

maybe ill go through and see what some of these donk bets were.

thats why I plan to flat some raises if he plays back but check/fold to continuing aggression on the turn.

And you would call a raise if V chose to raise you here OTF???!!! But, you would fold to continuing aggression OTT? Why not just check call then? Instead we bloat the pot by donking? This makes no sense... do you hate money? Cause you seem to like lighting it on fire.

This is not a good spot to donk. It might be, if the flop was 5-5-3.

And your sizing is terrible too. Look at the price this dude will get. He has to call 11 BB to win 39. What is that, like 3.5:1??

C'mon man, you didn't really think that through OTF, in real time.

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you make a bet when no worse hand is calling and no better hand is folding it is probably a bad bet. Furthermore we are betting at a pot that we might be drawing to a 2 outer against the all in stack.

M

MinhANguyen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IPlay, I used to think betting is strictly 100% a bluff/value. What about betting to deny equity/semi-bluff/pick up dead money? Let's say we raise from the BTN with K2s and both blinds call. Flop is J52r or J52ss. Wouldn't c-betting here be the best option? We pick up the dead money often and deny the blinds their equity. I doubt we can call down with bottom pair, and even if called, we can bluff certain turns/rivers. We also have 5 disguised outs to a strong hand. ATC has a lot of equity against us too. We aren't making better hands fold, and no worse hands are calling on the rainbow board. This was an interesting concept I found on 2+2 a while ago.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2. BTN ($206) 9-9. 1L, we raise to $11, 2c (BB and MP). Flop Ks-10s-Kc. BB donks for $11, MP folds, we raise to $32, BB tank folds. (+$27)

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with your scenario Minh but that is pretty rare and definitely does not apply to this hand. Also the scenario you put out is a semi bluff because some better hands might fold like 33/44, 66.

Last edited:
M

MinhANguyen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, it does not apply to this hand. I did not mean to apply it to this hand either. I was just asking because I used to always think that betting is 100% for value/bluff. I think some coaches have talked about c-betting to deny equity/set up multiple barrels if the board runs out in our favor. But yeah, those scenarios are not common.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I thought it was relevant, here's one from last night/wee hours this morning....

I love people who donk bet....

$1/2 NLHE $50-$200

33. BTN ($621) J-10o. 3 or 4L, we raise to $16, only EP limper calls. Flop J-8-5r. EP donks into me for $20, we call. Turn 3. EP shoves for $51, we think about it. I just thought how donk bets are always weak, and we call. He shows A-Ko before river is dealt, and we hold. (+$88)

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bean, i think these situations that you're posting are a little different. the most recent example, the board is a nonpaired board, possible draw, no chance for a flush or flush draw, also, the board hit your range. in the hand i posted, the board did not hit villains range at all and it was a paired board.

think about it this way, would you play back at a donk bet with complete air, or would you only play back if you atleast had some equity?

R

Reelmookey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the flop doesnt give enough equity to bet into a dry side pot

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bean, i think these situations that you're posting are a little different. the most recent example, the board is a nonpaired board, possible draw, no chance for a flush or flush draw, also, the board hit your range. in the hand i posted, the board did not hit villains range at all and it was a paired board.

think about it this way, would you play back at a donk bet with complete air, or would you only play back if you atleast had some equity?

The opponent is OOP.

He donked.

He has nothing/weak (just like your hand).

Villain is trying to get me to fold, much like you did to your opponent.

As a result, he fires 2nd bullet OTT, because he doesn't know for sure what I have, he's still trying to get me to fold, and he's trying to suck out.

Those are similarities.

And a paired board makes it even more likely that you don't have anything, or that you didn't connect in any way. Thus, people will float you a bunch, and it will be largely unsuccessful. There will be terrible turn cards for you. You will not know what V has. And, you probably will fire 2nd barrel on most turns, if V floats you. Lighting money on fire most of the time.

I find that most opponents will continue on turn and river, after donking the flop, if we just flat call them. They just can't resist once they start, and we just call.

Yes I will play back at them with nothing, depending on stack size though. In this case, yes its lucky I had something. However, I hardly ever fold to a donk bet. In your case, I would just float you with ATC, or just raise you OTF, because I know you don't have anything either.

Edit: I get away with murder because I have the nittiest image ever. I use it to my advantage, because I miss flops a bunch.

Point being, there are alot of like minded individuals out there, who share your interest in leading into the PFR, when OOP. I suppose I could find you some HH with paired boards, or I will post the next one I encounter.

I don't know how long people have been donk betting, but it doesn't work. People do this crap all the time, its sweeping the nation here. Once in a great while, they win a pot. But - more often than not - they just get punished. They have no idea where they are in the hand. So if we float a donk bet, they will often continue turn and river, because they can't help themselves. They think if they just keep blasting away, they will get you to fold.

I will admit, I see people doing this all the time amongst themselves, while I am folding because that's what nits do. It does seem to work when one fish does it to another fish. Perhaps the one fish is exploiting the other fishier dude, and he is king fish in that instant. So I can see it working against bad opponents.

You have to understand, my opinions about donk betting are all based from my perspective. It doesn't work on me, so therefore, I think it is a terrible strategy. I have a decent network of poker friends, and every one of them feels the same way I do. People that donk bet rarely have anything good. Good players will do it for value, but we recognize good players based on lines, hand selection, and all sorts of stuff we see at the table. You can spot a good player pretty quick. You can spot a fish faster.

But if you find an opponent that will fold way too much, and can reliably exploit them, have at it.

People do this stuff often. I think it's safe to say, 90%+ they are weak, and can't stand much heat. They mostly do it with draws, and janky stuff like bottom pair, gutters, PPs with 3 over cards, etc. However, there are some opponents that do it when they're strong. These players are usually easy to identify by sitting with them for a while.

Some people do it habitually, and they will fold to a raise every time. I labeled a guy "the serial donker" in my notes one day. He is still doing it, all the time. I just raise him, and he has never called me yet. He donks, then folds. So I exploit it.

Last edited: