AQ Pre flop

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is a couple of fresh thoughts for on the original question. when UTG PFR 2BB instead of 3BB, Jesus Ferguson plays that way, PFR amount according to position vs cards because it disguises your hands better. Secondly with 2BB invested it is easier to fold which is what you should be doing in that spot vs any player who isnt super aggressive, yet I might fold vs them as well as they are harder to gauge. Last thought, AQ is a very obvious hand, and very hard to maximize OOP! If he has KK or JJ he will shut down when the Ace hits on the flop, is he has JJ or TT he will shutdown with either ace or queen on flop so how are you going to make any money? rather have small pair or suited connectors in that spot, you would have much better shot at winning big pot.

luiaguila

luiaguila

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as you say as you can avoid that is simple fold your cards and as we know nothing of the villain is preferable to fold even worth paying for evlaluar the flop remember this is cash that I tell you foldees that if your hand is dominated going to lose a lot more than 3 bb

B

Broon1234

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would avoid 4 betting oop with AQ. What's this guy's player type? As for calling the shove we'd need to know stack depths as well. You're hoping this guy is shoving things like 9s-Js because there is nothing else you beat.

M

maxdavis4321

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I raise UTG to 3BB in a 6 handed NL2 cash game with AQ. The button 3 bets me for 9BB. I 4-bet (should I do this?) 3x his raise and he 5 bet shoves. Do I call? At this point my pot odds almost force me to call... How can I avoid this?

With no info on villain, this is an easy fold just on the pure fact that villain is 3betting an UTG raiser and wants to play a big pot in position. AQ off is mostly a 1 pair hand that hits the board 1/3 of the time and Q high flop has a lot of reverse implied odds potential vs villains range. AQ suited adds 4% equity and facing a 9BB wrecks your implied odds and its tough to get paid off out of position.

S

stevenparker91

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Big hands like AQ are tough to fold pre flop, especially if it's suited. Like mentioned above about 10 times, the 3 bet screams strentgh, if you can't let it go at try to flop your straight or flush. When the 5 bet shove comes it sounds like you might be pot committed. If you have plenty of chips left, you may be able to fold and live to die another day, or just flat call and cross your fingers for a board like A-A-Q

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I raise UTG to 3BB in a 6 handed NL2 cash game with AQ. The button 3 bets me for 9BB. I 4-bet (should I do this?) 3x his raise and he 5 bet shoves. Do I call? At this point my pot odds almost force me to call... How can I avoid this?

Why on earth would you 4b this guy here with A-Q? What's he going to call you with? A-J?

You are bloating the pot, so you can play a giant pot OOP?

And no, as played, I think you have all the info you need to fold. What would this guy 5b shove? Nothing that we beat. I mean this is a horrible spot to be in. One could argue a 4b, but not OOP.

You can just call the 3b, and against some opponents, just fold to 3b. I wouldn't make a habit of over playing AQ like this when you're out of position. Villain probably knows your range is pretty strong (you are UTG), and he is 5b you? Fold.

TheRock365

TheRock365

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At all to look at the situation. In most cases go to all-in.

mrDredlexa

mrDredlexa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think re-raise all-in

PieterTerAar

PieterTerAar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
4-Bet?

I dont think AQ is a hand you should be 4-betting with. Its a really awkward situation if you opponent 5-bets and you have to lay down a massive hand.

Romario2223

Romario2223

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
call 3 bet and looking the flop

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Someone playing in Vegas as we speak, calls that move Seat Open:)