analyze this hand

Nitram_80

Nitram_80

Total posts
I am playing a shorthanded ring game and a fish raises the minimum and I have pocket Aces so I raise like 6X the BB. Everyone folds but he calls and the flop brings 566 rainbow. He bets the BB and I raise like 3/4 of the flop and he calls. The turn brings a 10 and he again bets small and I reraise like 2/3 of the pot and again he calls. Now I am thinking he maybe slow played a high pocket pair or maybe hit a set with 5s. The turn brings a K and now bets the remaining of his stack and by now I was pot commited so I call. The clown had A6 and hit trips on the flop but I would ve never put him on that . Could I have done anything different? Maybe checked the turn but then if he bet the river I would ve thought he was on a steal. Do you think sometimes you are just bound to lose a big stack because you cant put your oppoent on a hand and the betting didnt make sense. I think pocket Aces lose me more money then I win. What would you guys have done different , if anything?

M

mischman

Legend
Total posts
Just think it was bad luck. Considering he is a fish and that the flop came XXy, it is always hard to read a player for hitting X, especially a fish. He could of easily had Ace-high or a PP over 6's. I think it ws jsut luck. What stakes was it though? chipstacks?

Nitram_80

Nitram_80

Total posts
It was 1/2$ NL blinds and I had $250 and he had like $150 so I lost 2/3 of my stack which sucked . I thought about this and I think if I face a similar situation and I sense my opponent caught a very lucky flop then I would check the turn. This way if he bets after the river and I decide to call I wont lose so much. Of course if I have them beat , then it cuts my profit. I wonder how a pro would handle a hand like this ?

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Total posts
I wouldn't know, not being a pro, but I believe the pros get busted out all the time. That's why it's good practice to only take a tenth or whatever of your bankroll to a table at any time.

Not a cash game, but I read about one year when Johnny Chan was busted out of the wsop when he ended up all-in with AK on a A77 flop... his opponent turned over 67 suited. Very hard to put your opponent on having low cards when you've raised pre-flop.

RiverNoHelp

RiverNoHelp

Rock Star
Total posts
Bombjack said:
Not a cash game, but I read about one year when Johnny Chan was busted out of the WSOP when he ended up all-in with AK on a A77 flop... his opponent turned over 67 suited. Very hard to put your opponent on having low cards when you've raised pre-flop.

Ah, there in lies the beauty of suited connectors my friend!

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Total posts
You should get your money in with overpairs preflop and on the flop. If someone sticks around to the turn/river you need to take notice of it. Big pocket pairs give implied odds, they do not get them.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands