6max- Middle pair + FD against aggro

A

Aleeki

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know if i like how i played this, so would like your opinions on how you would proceed.

Villian was 28/18/3 over about 50 hands. We had tangled a few orbits ago when he got all in on a 9 high board with 88 and I took down the pot with K K.

He was very aggressive in that pot which made me really wonder what he could possibly have here.

Stacks:

BTN with $20.45
SB with $106.43
BB with $236.08
UTG with $46.88
MP with $103.66
CO with $100.00

hand.pl

Site: Party Poker
Dealt to BB:K♦ J♦
Sklansky group 3
Preflop:
1 players fold.
MP calls [$1 USD]
CO raises [$5 USD]
2 players fold.
Hero calls [$4 USD]
MP calls [$4 USD]
Total folds this street: 3
Potsize: $15.5
Flop:
J♠ 3♦ Q♦
Hero bets [$8 USD]
MP raises [$31 USD]
1 players fold.
Hero calls [$23 USD]
Total folds this street: 1
Potsize: $77.5
Turn:
6♥
Hero checks
MP is all-in [$67.66 USD]
Hero.....??

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So why didn't we jammy whammy the flop after we bet out? We're drawing to a higher two pair than QJ, and we even have some runner outs to go with our flush draw. Even if villain has 33 here, we still aren't a huge underdog (2:1).

You have to realize, that there are 2 ways to play a draw:

1) Fast. Get your money in while you have the most outs to come & the most equity in the pot.

2) Slow, & play for implied odds. You want to try and make your draw and then have villain put more money in the pot to make up for the times when you miss but still called a bet.

Anything in between usually doesn't work so hot. Especially out of position.

Once you bet out, and then were raised, it decreased the amount of money you could win on the turn if your draw hits. So once you've been raised on the flop, I think we need to get our money in here.

Our draw is only 3:1 on the turn. Its going to cost us $23 to win $55 (2.4:1) to see the turn. I don't think the extra 70$ we can win will make up for the fact that we're drawing without odds (since calling makes it very obvious what our hand is).

So yeah. Either check your draw and try to keep the pot small until the turn (especially if you think he's a bad player & gets attached to two pair). If he's a good player, and can fold marginal hands easily, then I say bet out and get all your money in on the flop. Just calling this raise is very weak IMO.

How you play this draw starts from your first action on the flop, and you need to really consider what works better (getting your $ in & fast playing, or playing for implied odds) at the beginning of the hand. Since villain is overly aggressive, I would check & try to see the turn as cheap as possible. If our draw completes, then we have the possibility of winning his stack. I doubt a super aggressive (and spewy) opponent is going to fold if you 3-bet all in here, so taking the line that relies on fold equity doesn't make too much sense. Here's how I'd like to see the hand play out.

Code:
[COLOR=#000000][B]Preflop:[/B] 
    1 players fold.
     MP[COLOR=blue] [B]calls[/B][/COLOR] [$1 USD] 
     CO[COLOR=red] [B]raises[/B][/COLOR] [$5 USD] 
    2 players fold.
     [B]Hero[/B][COLOR=blue] [B]calls[/B][/COLOR] [$4 USD] 
     MP[COLOR=blue] [B]calls[/B][/COLOR] [$4 USD] 
     [I]Total folds this street[/I]: [B]3[/B]
     [I]Potsize[/I]: [B]$15.5[/B]
[B]Flop:[/B] 
     [COLOR=black][B]J♠[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=red][B]3♦[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=red][B]Q♦[/B][/COLOR] 
     [B]Hero[/B][COLOR=#990000] [B]checks[/B][/COLOR] 
     MP[COLOR=red] [B]bets[/B][/COLOR] [$12 USD] 
    1 players fold.
     [B]Hero[/B][COLOR=blue] [B]calls[/B][/COLOR] [$12 USD] 
     [I]Total folds this street[/I]: [B]1[/B]
     [I]Potsize[/I]: [B]$39.5[/B]
[/COLOR]Villain now has $87 left behind (instead of $67) 
which we can take if we hit our draw.

Last edited: