$50 NL HE 6-max: Regardless of the result, was the game right or wrong?

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.25/$.50
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.25/$0.50 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat - https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/425e8p48t

UTG: $51.75 (104 bb)
MP: $63.78 (128 bb)
CO: $58.65 (117 bb)
BU: $52.54 (105 bb)
SB: $84.70 (169 bb)
BB (Hero): $50.75 (102 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BB with T♠ K♦
2 players fold, CO raises to $1.25, 1 fold, SB calls $1, Hero calls $0.75

Flop: ($3.75) 9♥ J♣ T♦ (3 players)
SB bets $2, Hero calls $2, CO raises to $6.78, SB folds, Hero calls $4.78

Turn: ($19.31) J♠ (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $12.23, Hero calls $12.23

River: ($43.77) A♥ (2 players)
Hero bets $30.49 (all-in), CO folds

Total pot: $43.77 (Rake: $2)
BB (Hero) wins $41.77

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.25/$0.50 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat - https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/425e8p48t

UTG: $51.75 (104 bb)
MP: $63.78 (128 bb)
CO: $58.65 (117 bb)
BU: $52.54 (105 bb)
SB: $84.70 (169 bb)
BB (Hero): $50.75 (102 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BB with T♠ K♦
2 players fold, CO raises to $1.25, 1 fold, SB calls $1, Hero calls $0.75

Flop: ($3.75) 9♥ J♣ T♦ (3 players)
SB bets $2, Hero calls $2, CO raises to $6.78, SB folds, Hero calls $4.78

Turn: ($19.31) J♠ (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $12.23, Hero calls $12.23

River: ($43.77) A♥ (2 players)
Hero bets $30.49 (all-in), CO folds

Total pot: $43.77 (Rake: $2)
BB (Hero) wins $41.77
Preflop we can call it or squeeze it. You must’ve had your reasons for calling. OTF there’s a real mess after SB leads and CO overbets. I think I would’ve folded this a fair chunk of times.
As played okay, for we still have removal, equity for next streets and we are floating. Many hands also would follow this same line here and call OTF.
OTT this jack doesn’t change the picture a lot and IP bets less than the flop. Our equity is lower but we continue calling having a definitive plan to the river.
OTR we don’t think our hand has too much showdown value and we elect to jam right now for we still own decent removal.
Hard to know if this is optimal or not. You put the hand results and we don’t get info about villain.
But for a thinking player our line from the BB seems solid: calling a raise OTF and nearly a pot sizing OTT it’s a sign of strength.
We know that villain didn’t had any AJ, JT or J9 by the river. Neither 99, TT or AA. Once villain doesn’t hold the strongest hands for this river texture it is a nice spot to be donk jamming, regardless of the results.
Villain will fold 70-80% of total range OTR and this is enough to make our move automatically profitable.

Nice hand

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Very bizarre hand, I would have folded much earlier, like on the flop. Villain took such a nutted line you were fortunate they folded
I think that when villain shows unbalanced moves (as villain did OTF) we can also deviate from common theory and play unbalanced (exploitatively). I’m afraid that’s was hero’s way of playing this hand.
Also this hand could be a great example to our discussion about GTO on the Polished Poker thread.
What do you think of it @gustav197poker ? Also I ask the same question to @John A . Thank you all.

Best regards;

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think that when villain shows unbalanced moves (as villain did OTF) we can also deviate from common theory and play unbalanced (exploitatively). I’m afraid that’s was hero’s way of playing this hand.
Also this hand could be a great example to our discussion about GTO on the Polished Poker thread.
What do you think of it @gustav197poker ? Also I ask the same question to @John A . Thank you all.

Best regards;
The main villain didnt do anything unbalanced, raising v a donk is fine, especially with KQ, sets etc, loads of potential value combos. I dont really see villain doing anything wrong in this hand, so no reason to overplay middle pair and a bad draw.

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
Preflop: I would personally re-raise or fold here, wouldn't want to play such hand out of position with just calling.
Flop I'd say that a call here was fine, I do not however see myself calling a re-raise after. At best we are gunning for gut shot queen or we have already decided we are most likely going to bluff this hand. Here I would again either fold or if deciding to bluff my opponent out re-raise his raise.
On turn we are again just calling, which I'm not a fan of. There are now 2 jacks on the board, but that doesn't make our hand any more favorable.
On the river, we decided to go all in. Board made a flush and some more straight options. Worked out this time, but as said before, I would have pushed or folded earlier.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The main villain didnt do anything unbalanced, raising v a donk is fine, especially with KQ, sets etc, loads of potential value combos. I dont really see villain doing anything wrong in this hand, so no reason to overplay middle pair and a bad draw.
Exactly mate 😃 Thanks for your reply but allow me to retort:
If villain had KQ (which we are a 100% sure it hasn’t) why would it raise the nuts on this particular dry flop?
In another flop textures, if villain flops a flush, a full house would it be raising for value? Ergo, if we don’t raise hands on this singular spot for value, we shouldn’t raise for bluff as well (which was the case).
When villain raises flop it lets plain and simple that it doesn’t hold the nuts, the nuts would never play like this on such a flop, ergo villain is unbalanced, bluffing too wide in spots where it should fold or call.

Best regards;

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Exactly mate 😃 Thanks for your reply but allow me to retort:
If villain had KQ (which we are a 100% sure it hasn’t) why would it raise the nuts on this particular dry flop?
In another flop textures, if villain flops a flush, a full house would it be raising for value? Ergo, if we don’t raise hands on this singular spot for value, we shouldn’t raise for bluff as well (which was the case).
When villain raises flop it lets plain and simple that it doesn’t hold the nuts, the nuts would never play like this on such a flop, ergo villain is unbalanced, bluffing too wide in spots where it should fold or call.

Best regards;
Interesting point. It's possible KQ wouldn't raise, though I would if I held it in the situation, as it's not that dry a flop, any board pairing card is bad when there are so many viable 2 pair combos and there are lots of pair plus draws that villains can call with. Plus I would want to play for stacks.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Interesting point. It's possible KQ wouldn't raise, though I would if I held it in the situation, as it's not that dry a flop, any board pairing card is bad when there are so many viable 2 pair combos and there are lots of pair plus draws that villains can call with. Plus I would want to play for stacks.
Would you’ve raised flop if you had TPTK, Top Two Pair or a Top Set (Bottom Set, whatever), the same way villain raised and with the same flop configuration?
If we own TPTK, TOP2, Sets, we clearly don’t have KQ. But SB and BB could be holding KQ or at least any king/Queen or 87.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Would you’ve raised flop if you had TPTK, Top Two Pair or a Top Set (Bottom Set, whatever), the same way villain raised and with the same flop configuration?
If we own TPTK, TOP2, Sets, we clearly don’t have KQ. But SB and BB could be holding KQ or at least any king/Queen or 87.
TPTK is too thin, probably it would be sets+ for value, but not every time. 87 is a good point and certainly a possible hand villain could be taking this line with.

Top 10 Games