$5 NLHE6-max: General question pre, interesting spot on the river.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain is 50/40/3.6, 33% 3-bet Over 68 hands
Also 70% c-bet.

So 3-betting lots pre-flop, we have 99. In spots like this what's our best line? I think it's a profitable 4-bet but I don't like it, not at these stakes where I can play flops with him. Obv not folding.

For the rest of the hand flop is standard imo, we can probs take it down a lot of the time on the turn but I check. River bet. I can see bluffs in his range, especially with the 2nd K, no real river read though.

Hero?

full tilt poker $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 965057
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

UTG: $2.84
Hero (MP): $7.74
CO: $4.88
BTN: $5.00
SB: $5.45
BB: $3.63

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is MP with 9 9
UTG calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.25, 1 fold, BTN calls $0.25, SB raises to $1.10, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.85, 1 fold

Flop: ($2.55) 2 K 7 (2 players)
SB bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

Turn: ($3.35) J (2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($3.35) K (2 players)
SB bets $1.10, Hero requests TIME, Hero ?

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Need to know more about his postflop tendencies. Tend to think this is a nuts/air scenario and I don't give 5 NL villains credit for value-betting thin something that accidentally has you beat like Jx.

So he has flushes, Kx, 77, 22 or nothing and he probably has air more than 25% of the time, so call. I think we can profitably 4-bet/get it in here.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree we can profitably get it in here pre but I think calling with position could be more +EV against such a big aggressive fish. He c-bet 70% of flops and 100% of turns. WTSD% of 35 over 26 hands. I can give other stats if you want them.

C

ComplexPlaya

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So if your plan is to induce him to bluff and make hero calls do it and don't question yourself.

But not on all boards, this hits him possibly too much, 2 overcards 3 to a flush is too much I think, although I have made more than a few hero calls on 3 streets with third pair, top kicker vs aggro donks.

This is where you have to know your opponent, does he do it with air all the way or does he stop on the turn etc., look in pt/hem for his river bet% if it's high I'll close eyes and call here.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to be good 20% of the time to make the river call. This guy sounds like he'll be FoS at least that often. I call.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd probably 4 bet pre

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as played I agree that it's a call on the river, but I'm a little confused about some other parts of the hand, I'm not a ring player but would like to learn nonetheless.

So one question I have is what is our plan when we call the 3-bet pre? We have like 5:1 implied odds, so it can't be purely for set mining, and I feel like even though we have position we're gonna have a hard time knowing if we're best on the flop since overcards come so often, and even when we have three undercards we still often won't be best. At least to me that leaves us with the options of jamming or folding, right? Because then it just becomes a question of whether it's +EV.

Now on the flop he's practically min-betting, so I think the call is pretty easy, but then on the turn when he checks, this seems like a normal spot to bet, or is it turning our hand into a bluff too much? At least to me we ought to bet for value against lower pairs, overs and 4-flushes, but again I'm not really sure and am just trying to ask questions.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually think most of the decisions in this hand are no big deal one way or another, other than the fact that the ridiculous flop bet is an easy call.

This is where HUD stats and reads are your friend. Against this guy this is a super-standard 4-bet/call it off for value. I understand wanting to take a flop with this guy but I think I'd rather flat with something like AJs/KQs where we can either float or make moves on various board textures.

Turn: Check or bet is OK, having a fourth spade roll off would suck but he has like all kinds of random suited hands in his range, and the flop bet looks like a draw or air.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dunno where to find a "river bet" stat, best I can say his aggression goes 3-1-3 and 43-10-21.

For pre, again, yes it's a profitable 4-bet imo, but is it the MOST profitable? If we hand read like shit then of course, avoid more marginal value, but I think with position we can play this well.

Yeah the flop bet is ridiculously easy to call, his check is even weaker and I think I can take it down pretty much every time there. We need to figure out if we want to just take it down there, or try and get more value, also whether he has enough equity against us that we need to bet. My general read was air, so I didn't want him to fold his air. We get a perfect river card imo and he bets. He's FOS at least 1/4 of the time imo.

as played I agree that it's a call on the river, but I'm a little confused about some other parts of the hand, I'm not a ring player but would like to learn nonetheless.

So one question I have is what is our plan when we call the 3-bet pre? We have like 5:1 implied odds, so it can't be purely for set mining, and I feel like even though we have position we're gonna have a hard time knowing if we're best on the flop since overcards come so often, and even when we have three undercards we still often won't be best. At least to me that leaves us with the options of jamming or folding, right? Because then it just becomes a question of whether it's +EV.

No, I'm not set-mining you're right, I wanted to play the hand post-flop against an aggressive and overly loose player who I have no real read that will stack off against/call a 4-bet, but will likely own himself post-flop. To determine where we are we need to assign ranges and hand read. It's a little difficult with such a wide range at first, but the rest of the hand will narrow it down, like his small c-bet, check turn.

Now on the flop he's practically min-betting, so I think the call is pretty easy, but then on the turn when he checks, this seems like a normal spot to bet, or is it turning our hand into a bluff too much? At least to me we ought to bet for value against lower pairs, overs and 4-flushes, but again I'm not really sure and am just trying to ask questions.

It is turning our hand into a bluff, and I'm thinking what against? I mean he has TT there maybe sometimes, and he may have more equity than I gave him credit for at the time, but I feel against his range we're strong and the only value is in letting him bluff. I think lower pairs may just fold as it is getting to be a scary board.

Questions are great, they make me try and explain myself in overly long rambles, before being corrected and asked something else :)

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But how useful/profitable is it to try and play the hand and maneuver postflop when his SPR is ~2? I just think we're gonna get outplayed too much postflop (our positional advantage is very miniscule).

Or I could be entirely wrong, lol, just thinking out loud here.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But how useful/profitable is it to try and play the hand and maneuver postflop when his SPR is ~2? I just think we're gonna get outplayed too much postflop (our positional advantage is very miniscule).

Or I could be entirely wrong, lol, just thinking out loud here.

You could be right, 99 doesn't play great postflop but it doesn't play badly either.

His range is wide and he's aggressive, I just thought I could get more value calling. Maybe I'm wrong.

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'd ship in the nickels preflop. on how it went i would call the river.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm starting to agree it might not be worth the hassle post-flop lol, shipping pre is easy and +EV I suppose.