$5 NLHE Full Ring: WTF happened here?

Deco

Deco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
someone post some hands where villain plays a set like this please

Can you post a hand where a 13/3 plays a flush draw like this?
Asking for people to post super specific spots doesn't prove anything one way or another.

What is making you doubt his value range? Because he didn't raise? Hes a 13/3 passive nit they don't raise very often at all. He can flat call down then realize he aint getting stacks in and panic shove. Your trying to apply logic to a guy who overbet shoves KK to protect it on wet flops yet can't fathom that he may take other retarded lines at a later point. Not to mention that his last overbet was for value.

What few flush draws he has preflop were too passive to checkraise the flop but are perfectly fine with overbet shoving the river with complete air?

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no one is saying to call because he is shoving KT. I just don't see how he can possibly have a hand. He has precisely 0 value hands he'd play this way IMO.
This is 5 NL man. His stats show us exactely what he plays. IMO you have to shut down once he called the flop. Set 100% . He limps/calls with pp from any position. Do not bother with the minibet. Bad players do things that we do not understand. Like minibet to try to induce a bluff or minibet as a blocking bet. I saw them both. The fact is players with stats like this do not bluff for stacks.

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no one is saying to call because he is shoving KT. I just don't see how he can possibly have a hand. He has precisely 0 value hands he'd play this way IMO.
He could bet the turn tiny with something weak for value, then drilled something much stronger otr. The most likely value hand that does this is J2 I think. This guy's obviously terrible I can't see him doing this with anything we beat, and we don't have the odds to find out.

thecpkid

thecpkid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He definitely was up to something. He either hit something on the turn wieth the J (pair, 2 pair, set), or a bluff. You correctly folded if he plays clean.

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not calling pre. If villains hit big which I think he has its on the turn or flop.
I think the most important point here is that we're being laid ****tastically bad odds and thus pretty much have to fold.

LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, 30+ posts, might be personal best :D I am glad you guys find 5NL exotic plays as fascinating as I do :rolleyes::p

BTW I think Deco nails it with "He can flat call down then realize he aint getting stacks in and panic shove.", sounds about right.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can you post a hand where a 13/3 plays a flush draw like this?
Asking for people to post super specific spots doesn't prove anything one way or another.

What is making you doubt his value range? Because he didn't raise? Hes a 13/3 passive nit they don't raise very often at all. He can flat call down then realize he aint getting stacks in and panic shove. Your trying to apply logic to a guy who overbet shoves KK to protect it on wet flops yet can't fathom that he may take other retarded lines at a later point. Not to mention that his last overbet was for value.

What few flush draws he has preflop were too passive to checkraise the flop but are perfectly fine with overbet shoving the river with complete air?

Deco, I'm going to guess that neither one of us has played 5 NL in a very long time, if ever at all. At micros, overbet shoving the river with a busted draw is the very most common type of retarded bluff. Overbet shoving the flop with a monster overpair is a lot different than shoving a brick river...ESPECIALLY when he had a chance to get stacks in when he's raised on the turn. My take on overbet shoving with 1 pair is that this is a "nit" who's capable of monster spew, not that he only overbets with the nuts. I'm surprised you don't take that from it as well.

Min-donking on a blank turn is so so often a draw trying to freeze the PFR. Again, it's a phenomenon I'm guessing you don't see often in your games because I assume by 100 NL+ people stop doing it. If a nit is going to overbet shove with a set it's going to be a C-R on the flop or a C-R on the turn. Having failed to do so despite having the opportunity really really negates any kind of value hand he's going to have here.

Last edited:
Deco

Deco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A 13/3 at 100NL will hold the same traits as a 13/3 at 5NL. Its only the regs and the unknowns who change as you move up the recs stay the same there's just less of them.

I have seen flushdraws played this way even at 100NL and the turn action is a flush draw like move but it's that he's a 13/3 which is the big factor in this hand against a looser rec id snap.

13/3s won't have many flush draws. Their limp calling ranges will be very pocketpair orientated and the rest of their range is generally not as favourable to suited cards as most but to semi strong paint sort of hands. If he was limp calling every suited connector and Axs he wouldn't be a 13/3.

Nits are generally passive, uber nits who somehow also have a big gap between their vpip and pfr are the most passive player out there. Sure as its a preflop generalization and he min bet the turn its not impossible he bluffs here but its very unlikely and heavily negates the single figure number of flush draw combos he brings with him preflop. Meanwhile he has 15 combos of KJ and sets which outnumber the flush draws even before the extremely heavy negation I believe villains flush draws should take.

I think villain will have flush draws here > 0% but nowhere near the 40% we need.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the trait that bad passive nits share and most 5 NL players is that they are afraid of flush draws so they will want to overbet at some point to keep the flush draw from getting there.

That's why when they check-shove the flop on a wet board, people level themselves into thinking they have xx number of flush draws and combo draws and call with 1 pair but they invariably turn over a set.

For this type of player to play a set this way would be completely remarkable. He has AQss here all day.