$5 NLHE Full Ring: What would you do on Flop here with 99?

E

emzadii

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with the SPR of 3 at the start of the flop, it's a big bet on the flop and shove on non-heart turn. with less than pot-sized stack at the turn, the 25bb bet would look a bit too strong, though, I think. checking the flop with the intention of raising is great, but not if nobody bets. can't play scared on this one.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is counter intuitive and I haven't completely wrapped my head around all of the underlying theory but a large portion of the poker community has concluded (including solvers and players like DNegs and Polk) that certain flop textures should not be using larger bet sizing in general. Like most things I think there are exceptions to every rule but Hero has not given any additional info to indicate we should be using an exception here. Monotone boards and paired boards make it tougher for EVERYONE to continue in an aggressive manner. Being multiway and OOP kind of layers on and does more of the same. Betting big with strong hands to charge draws and checking weak hands sounds correct on the surface but what are we getting called by? With some reads I could get on board if we know our Vs are in general over chasing and overcalling with Qx or any decent heart. But that's still a very small range we are targeting. We are trying to force Vs to play correctly by sizing up rather than let them call a smaller bet or bluff at it with a wider range. I like a 1/3 pot bet here on the flop and we can call a raise with our boat draw. The turn will only be a heart about 19.5% of time when one V holds a heart in their hand. So when we bet around 1/3 the pot becomes 4/3 and his call becomes 5/3. So the call is fairly neutral if V has the flush draw and no one made a mistake. But with the smaller sizing we get calls from more than just big hearts and strong Qx. We get value from a wider range and the 80%+ of the time the turn is NOT a heart we can continue for a larger sizing and our hand can always improve as it did on the river. In general I think the discussion is too focused on the vulnerability of our strong hand and not focused enough on getting max value from our opponents entire range.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't see anything wrong with this hand at all. Villain has 51bb and be assumed a fish. Thus we just exploit him by betting big on the flop for value which you did.
When the A comes on the turn and he gets it in id be putting him on Ah x all day and happily getting it in on the turn. If he had 2p on turn and hits a bigger boat thats poker.

fang215874

fang215874

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see anything wrong with this hand at all. Villain has 51bb and be assumed a fish. Thus we just exploit him by betting big on the flop for value which you did.
When the A comes on the turn and he gets it in id be putting him on Ah x all day and happily getting it in on the turn. If he had 2p on turn and hits a bigger boat thats poker.
Do you think if you play 8 million hands, you will understand this game?:D:D:D

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you think if you play 8 million hands, you will understand this game?:D:D:D
This isn't about me, I'm a winning player and haven't reloaded across 8 sites since 2012, I understand plenty about making fish stare at the felt.
I've read all the GTO books and you can put them all away against anyone starting a hand with 51bb. Max value is the exploit here.