$5 NLHE Full Ring: NL 5 Call Raise OOP With Small Pair

LizaBuv

LizaBuv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did I call off a bit to much in this situation preflop. The villian's stats narrowed his range quite a bit, and if I flopped good, I think I could have stacked him with what I think he had. Please post any thoughts. Does a person still have good implied odds even against a NIT as they sometimes overplay their big pairs?

Poker Stars - $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em (9 players)
Poker Stars Hand Converter Tool from CardsChat.com
SB: $0.96
BB: $12.84
UTG: $6.95
MP: $2.56
MP+1: $3.11
MP+2: $1.86
LP: $6.34
CO: $5.87
BTN Hero: $4.57
Pre-flop: ($0.07) Hero is BTN and dealt :4s4: :4h4:
6 folds, Hero raises $0.12, SB folds, BB raises $0.40, Hero calls $0.33
Flop: ($0.92) :7c4: :10d4: :5c4: (2 players)
BB bets $0.55, Hero folds, BB returned $0.55

LizaBuv

LizaBuv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In Position

Sorry was actually in position

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you are the first raiser into a pot at these limits, I would bet 3x the BB. So the raise should be .15. Some people go with 4x at these micro limits.

Small pocket pairs and a chance to steal the blinds and being the first one in are all good reasons to make this raise (some like to limp in with PPs, I tend more towards a "if it's good enough to call, it's good enough to raise" kind of thinking).

Here's where it get tricky. Unless you know that the BB is very aggressive and often pushes back against steal attempts, I think his raise would be enough to push me off the hand preflop. Just about any other pair dominates me and just about any other hand has two overcards to me. I'd probably call a min raise since I'm in position. I'd like to know what more experienced players think about playing small PPs in position.

In your case, I would also have laid down my cards after the BB bet into me. Set mining didn't work. Time to move on to the next hand.