$5 NLHE Full Ring: A9s gets donked at on 669 board, need line check

Deco

Deco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any 9x, 77,88. Villain is 54bb $5NL unknown they're very likely to be a fish. I think value shoving would be bad given a passive player may bet Kx this way due to the club and we block 9x but I think it's less bad than a fold.

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We wouldn't be raising flop for protection. A whole lot of his range is worse than us and calls a flop raise. That range is worse PP's/9x/FD's. A flop raise is for value. We have position and can play almost perfect poker vs his continuation range on this board.

Yoshimiii

Yoshimiii

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What second best hands is villain calling with? 9T with no club? :)

I think we get your point though. You think folding because of odds is horrible.

Maybe bet/check/bet lines at these stakes you'd be a little more in line with a call, and at higher stakes clear fold. But bet/bet/bet with that sizing is usually a good hand. KJ/KQ maybe, etc...

What did he end up having? 8x8c, TxTc or Kx?

AKo as said in previous post. I still hate shoving for value Deco :p.

Deco

Deco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol ffs I don't actually want to shove for value. :D

Yoshimiii

Yoshimiii

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol ffs I don't actually want to shove for value. :D

Well why are you saying that and confusing my tiny brain!??!?! okay you're trying to make a point that you really like calling here against this fish than folding but don't say shove river and confuse me when you don't mean it lol.

Deco

Deco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shoving is marginally bad, folding is worse was what I was trying to say.

Deco

Deco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We wouldn't be raising flop for protection. A whole lot of his range is worse than us and calls a flop raise. That range is worse PP's/9x/FD's. A flop raise is for value. We have position and can play almost perfect poker vs his continuation range on this board.

Ye tbf its thin but there's defo some value there. I mostly just got the impression from that post you'd have seen folding out AK on that flop as a good result.

A9 is the top of my flatting range here just because we rely on 9x so much and low pairs give bad equity against flush draws as we've overcards to fend off as well.

Deco

Deco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Him having a super wide bluffing range makes calling the more appealing option. I agree he does have a super wide bluffing range, bad players love to donk paired boards.

If we held air then raising as a bluff or floating stuff like JT or AK would be good at fighting the bluffs.

LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah but I have to fear overcards (as in this case).

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any 9x, 77,88. Villain is 54bb $5NL unknown they're very likely to be a fish. I think value shoving would be bad given a passive player may bet Kx this way due to the club and we block 9x but I think it's less bad than a fold.

I think that's a pretty big stretch. I don't think those hands are calling often enough. But that being said, I think calling is even -EV. I think if you look at how many passive players will triple with nothing, it's pretty low at these stakes. Great odds though, but maybe you are thinking of it from a higher stake perspective.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah but I have to fear overcards (as in this case).

If your opponent does just have over cards then you're doing well against those hands. Overal your equity when ahead in a spot like this is super high, so you don't gain anything by raising unless you think worse will still call. You don't want to raise because of fear of X happening, when equity wise you can continue to get him to put in money with the worst of it.