Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.02/$.05
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
Would you have called the river? Looking back I think I should've given up when he called the turn

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm not a big fan of 3bet with KJo in this position preflop. Beyond that, after you get called and the villain isn't letting go as you continue cbetting, you're either playing against a flush draw or you are value betting for your villain rather than for yourself. Especially on the turn when the ace hits, there are now a lot of combos that are beating you so I think you need to slow down on the turn, control the pot size with a check, and reevaluate depending on what your villain does.

As played once you've made it to the river, he's giving you about 4:1 and I think it's a thin value bet that targets you quite well. I do not think that a busted flush would play this way and it feels like most of the time you are behind here, so I would probably fold it.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Like in the K9 hand this spot is pretty marginal, and folding would not be insane. You can also stick in a call, since it was after all a CO open. And finally you can 3-bet, but suited hands are preferred for 3-betting, because they have more equity and playability when called. More importantly though a 3-bet need to be much larger. When you are giving him better than 3:1 plus position on you, he is never going to fold anything. The standard sizing here is 60c, and you only made it 30c, so this is a pretty significant mistake.

Flop
Standard C-bet and not going to discuss the sizing, because I dont think, its all that important.

Turn
The A on the turn is the classic "scare card", which makes it easy to bluff but difficult to bet for value. Sometimes he will have it, and then you are just value owning yourself, if you bet again. And at the same time its a scare card to many of those hands, you still beat. Like his 88-QQ, or his K9-KT. So I think, your hand is to in between to bet again.

River
As played I would definitely check and evaluate. He gave you a good price, but you only beat a bluff, and what is he even bluffing with? There is a busted flushdraw, but the nut flushdraw is now top pair, and with you holding J of hearts, he cant have hands like QJ, JT or J9 of hearts either. You also lose to hands like AQ or AT, that might have floated the flop. Or for that matter some random 7X, if they stuck around. So even though I hate folding getting such a great price, I think, I let this one go.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Would you have called the river? Looking back I think I should've given up when he called the turn

Preflop we could be 3-betting to 3x or some players like to do it 4x, personally I don’t like it. But 3-betting to 2x you give odds for not only villain in position to call, but for the player in the Big Blind.
The flop comes good for our range because CO has just called, and I think your c-bet is fine.
On the turn, although we are blocking some AK and AJ, it’s not good to continue betting, for players will tend to call having any ace.
On the river it’s hard to fold given price so overall the hand was well played.
A small note that I would like to point is that you are playing out of position, in a mini-3/bet pot versus a player that maybe is a regular (I don’t remember all the details of the hand because I’ve watched just once).
Avoid being fancy or try to prove something to yourself: if you feel that you are behind just fold and play the next hand.
We are going to fold even better hands when the board doesn’t come for us, e.g: JJ, QQ and KK in a single raised pot or 3-bet pot whether we are the aggressor preflop or not, how do we continue paying or calling til the river when it comes an ace on the board, and we don’t have sets? Hey, just a simple example to make your critical sense works sharper and harmonically.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm not a big fan of 3bet with KJo in this position preflop.
So we should fold KJo from the SB versus CO or BU Or even worse, call it?
Like in the K9 hand this spot is pretty marginal, and folding would not be insane.
If we are folding KJo versus CO and BU, we are pretty much tight and done! Unless villain is a known NIT raising from EP, I think we should be 3-betting here almost a 100% of times like I said before.
The same goes for K9o, unless villain is a crazy NIT we should be 3-betting versus BU 99% of times.
I don’t understand what is the value of calling these hands from the SB. Maybe some low/medium pocket pair that isn’t good enough to 3-bet and isn’t good enough to fold (22-88?), but most of our connectors, suited or not we are 3-betting, either 65s or KTo.
When we do call from the SB our range becomes capped and we give a terrible chance for the player sitting in the Big Blind to come through, and then we would have to play a pot versus two players in position: not a great idea, so I don’t get your point or puzzlefish’s point advising OP to call from the SB which is the worst position in the game, the position that our equity won’t realize most of times, and the price for calling preflop is bigger compared to the BB (we pay 1/2 Blind more in this comparison, do the calculations for infinite hands played).
Anyway, you are a major contributor in the cash thread and I hope you continue posting because I like the way you think the hands.

Best regards;

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
So we should fold KJo from the SB versus CO or BU Or even worse, call it?

When we do call from the SB our range becomes capped and we give a terrible chance for the player sitting in the Big Blind to come through, and then we would have to play a pot versus two players in position: not a great idea, so I don’t get your point or puzzlefish’s point advising OP to call from the SB which is the worst position in the game, the position that our equity won’t realize most of times, and the price for calling preflop is bigger compared to the BB (we pay 1/2 Blind more in this comparison, do the calculations for infinite hands played).
I'm just not a big fan of raising it from SB. Yeah I would call it and maybe give BB a chance to come along. Sometimes it's better to see what the flop brings and then make adjustments from there instead of bloating the pot early when it might not be worth it. If KJo connects hard, then we can build the pot. Then again, I don't claim to be a pro cash player so maybe I may be wrong, but that is just how I would rather play it.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If we are folding KJo versus CO and BU, we are pretty much tight and done! Unless villain is a known NIT raising from EP, I think we should be 3-betting here almost a 100% of times like I said before.
This article contains a preflop chart for SB facing a CO open. Reading the text it seems like, its for a non-ante game and a 3BB open size, which is exactly, what Hero was facing here. The chart does not have a calling range, and KJo is a 100% fold. Even AJo is a partial 3-bet / partial fold. Facing a BTN open ranges will be a bit wider, because BNT is supposed to be on a wider range.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not good min 3-bet here. SB is the weakest position at the table and we really have a decent combination for a better 3-bet looking to win dominated hands. Otherwise you won't get that opener to fold when you give him a great price to call. And against this situation it is better to fold preflop.
If you're looking to 3-bet a better re-raise size to consider here is 4x = $0.60 (3x standard + 1x for being OOP).
As played, the flop comes a bit coordinated and now I like your c-bet size better. The turn is bad for your range because when you rebet there really aren't enough hands worse than yours that could call you. It's better to bet the turn when you know V is a sticky guy who really likes to call with dominated hands like 88, 99, (ie you need more information from V to make an OTT value bet).
As played, OTR when you check, you're not in good shape because now V can't have some important bluffs like JhQh and JhTh.
The only reason I can find to call OTR is than due do of your min 3-bet preflop, there's a chance they might split the pot when V calls you with Kx worse than you. Situation that can be avoided by raising bigger preflop or folding a hand that plays very limited from SB.
Greetings.