$5 NL HE 6-max: $5 NL HE 6-max: Flopping Top Pair vs. Runner-Runner to Make a Set

D

dylan1771

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.02/$.05
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
Sorry for the text, cannot figure how to transfer hands from Bovada.

UTG+2 (villain) opens for 3x;

SB (hero) calls with KsJd

Flop comes 2sKc3h

I check flop, Villain C-bets .12 into .35, and I make the call

Turn comes 10d

Turn goes check-check

River comes 10h

I bet .19 into .59, villain raises to 1.20, I make the call

Villain shoes As10s for a set

After some later analysis, I believe that I made a few mistakes. I do not think I should have even bet the river because there are not many hands he realistically has that I could be extracting value from. Calling the raise was an even bigger mistake because at this point I'm only beating a worse King and the bluffs. I'm not entirely sure what his bluffs could even be here; maybe some AJ or AQ combos. I'd love to hear other people's take on this hand for some of the mistakes I made, or if calling off the raise was actually a decent play. I'm still somewhat new to the game so I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this idea of if I can justify this river call or not.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here's a decent hand for 3-betting preflop bluffing from the SB. If your table is 6-max, the V is opening play from CO. Which means that his range is tighter than BU. And for that reason your hand plays better folding from the SB, which is the weakest position at the table.
On the flop your call seems reasonable to me. In the same way I also agree OTT with the x/x line. On the river I like your block bet. But when V raise x6 we should know that here we have a pretty weak kicker (below AK and QK). Also the J is bad because it blocks your opponent's bluffs. Now your V is less likely to have bet with hands like JQ and JA for instance. Unless we have readings that the opponent is very wide in bluffs we should look for a better place to trap him.
Greetings.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Interesting hand, thanks for sharing.

Preflop
You should fold here! Generally from the SB it's better to 3bet or fold, and KJo is a bit too weak to 3bet versus CO. Flatting is not good as it will be difficult to win often enough from oop without the range advantage to make this a profitable call. Also when the SB is small (40% of BB) and the open raise big (3x) flatting is even less appealing. Here you put in 13c to win 35c (prob 34c post rake), you will struggle to win this back in the long run as often you will miss the flop and fold to a cbet and other times you will lose alot to KQ that out kicks you.

Flop
Standard call versus a small cbet which probably indicates villain is betting most or all of his range.

Turn
Standard check by you, when villain checks back he probably doesnt have a strong Kx hand as they would mostly bet.

River
Your block bet is fine, I think you could bet small (33%) or big here (75%), villain will likely call pocket pairs and low pairs to the big size and possibly A high to the small size. What size would you bet with KQ? Or KT? My sense is KJ might be one of the strongest hands you are betting for thin value.
Once you get raised it's tough as you have very few Tx in your range so villain could be bluffing wide but he is only really representing Tx. How many better hands do you have to call down with (that you block bet, assuming Tx uses a bigger size)? - I suspect not many.
I dont think it's a bad call as villain potentially has his whole range, that is full of air. The question at 5NL is whether your opponents are finding the bluffs or not, probably not (versus a bet and for this size), so a tight fold might be better in practice at this stake.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Flop comes 2sKc3h

Turn comes 10d

Turn goes check-check

River comes 10h

After some later analysis, I believe that I made a few mistakes. I do not think I should have even bet the river because there are not many hands he realistically has that I could be extracting value from. Calling the raise was an even bigger mistake because at this point I'm only beating a worse King and the bluffs. I'm not entirely sure what his bluffs could even be here; maybe some AJ or AQ combos. I'd love to hear other people's take on this hand for some of the mistakes I made, or if calling off the raise was actually a decent play. I'm still somewhat new to the game so I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this idea of if I can justify this river call or not.
We are avoiding to call from the SB most of times, I dare to say that 90% of times we are either 3-betting or folding. SB is the worst position to call, our odds are always worst because we have to play 0,5 BB more than the SB, we will face lots of 3-ways pots and it our equity won’t realize quite often.
On the flop we cannot lead nor donk, because villain will own Kings that have us beat (KQ, AK, KK).
Turn looks like a blank card and we are on board of checking. When villain checks this turn it looks like it has nothing or a weak hand that decided to control pot.
On the river I would continue checking and waiting for villain to check behind to realize my equity and beat dominated hands such as QQ, JJ, etc or to call a small bet when it comes (this is why isn’t a good idea to flat from the SB).
When we bet and villain raises that much, unless villain is a whale tilted profile, we are folding almost always. When villain raises this river it has AK, KQ, once in a while KTs if it’s a loose player, AA, TT, AT depending on the case.
Most of players never raise/shove river at the micros with missed draws. And even if or when they do they have better missed draws, here there is only the missed flush of hearts (BDF) and a straight draw for AQ, AJ.
All problems begin preflop : we should avoid calling from the SB, specially versus UTG.
And this is one spot we all agree in something: both @Station_Master and @gustav197poker have the same idea about preflop playing.

Qniversity

Qniversity

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips

Flop comes 2sKc3h

Turn comes 10d

Turn goes check-check

River comes 10h

I agree with the previous guys about the hand but would like to add a few more things.

Preflop, KJ is a very good 3betting hand but at 5NL it's no bueno because when we 3b KJ, the idea is that we block the 4betting range {AK/KK/JJ/AJ}. and dominate their raise/call range {JTs/T9s/KTs/J9s}. But for this to be good we need villain to 4bet AJ/KQ/AK which probably only happens a tiny % of the time. As for your call, if villain is fish and BB is passive then it's fine.

Flop, standard.

Turn, fine

River, I really like the small bet targeting the A2-QQ part of his range, but there's something you need to understand about the micros when it comes to turn and river raises. Turn raises are the nuts 90% of the time. They just are. Check anyones database and filter for turn raises that went to showdown and look at what you see. Now if turn raises are the nuts? River raises are the super, doooper nuts 98% of the time. The bottom of his value range when he raises is T9 imo. For example, if I'm in your spot here on the river facing the raise and I'm holding JT then I'm not happy but calling. JT would probably be my cutoff point. Then again I wouldn't arrive with my backdoor JTs combos in this line because I would have checkraised them OTF but hey-ho. Study turn and river raise ranges by villains at your stakes!!! It is without a doubt a massively under bluffed line.