$4 NLHE Full Ring: Not sure if I made the correct play here.

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another question about the flop betting. Had I been out of position is this still a flop bet? Or is it just a bet because I had position and he checked to me?

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet the flop in or out of position.

LizzieO

LizzieO

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't understand your play here.

Maybe it is because I only play tournament Texas Holdem, never cash games, but I do not understand your play at all, it is a penny game and that means the players usually are pretty loose, so with a set on the flop, I would have been betting to take out the other player, he may have been holding an Ace and you need to make it expensive to him to chase, I think you slow played the flop and in loose games this can be a disaster, getting out drawn, I mean, the other player may have had the last king, with a 2 4 or 5, pocket 2s or 4s, or else A 3 to beat you, but based on the play I think this unlikely, would he call a 4X raise preflop with pocket 2s, 4s or K rag? Not likely, the big raise on the turn says full house, maybe, or straight from the A 3, my guess is he had A 3 suited, and you made the right choice to fold on the river, but the wrong play in checking the flop. That's how I learned, lol, calling on the river in a situation like this and seeing the straight come out.

GotaLovePoke

GotaLovePoke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would bet this flop with air in position soo....... (Maybe out of position if I rep'ed a big hand preflop.)

But this is getting prety redondent.

H

HomeBrewer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet the flop in or out of position.

I have just started playing FR again, but I 100% agree with this. If you would ever try to steal a pot like this, you also have to bet it when you hit. If someone wants to play with you then make them pay for it. I have been opening with all made sets in or out of position with good results.

PNJs_dad

PNJs_dad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you would ever try to steal a pot like this, you also have to bet it when you hit.

Even though he's a Florida fan I have to agree with him. You ALWAYS gain more info by betting than checking. Don't get yourself in the habit of checking when you hit and betting when you whiff...it's too transparent and you're losing yourself money.

Moral of the story...BET! BET! BET!

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We're not betting for balance, we're betting for value. Balance has little to no significance at 4nl.

PNJs_dad

PNJs_dad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We're not betting for balance, we're betting for value. Balance has little to no significance at 4nl.

I agree here too. But you should balance for the sake of the good players, shouldn't you? I mean the donks probably aren't paying attention but I bet ya there are some there that are. IDK...maybe not.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The good players are few and far between at the micros. Forget about balance, play for immediate profitability. This is really one of the biggest leaks/most ridiculous concerns of micro players. The secret to poker: valuebetting.

PNJs_dad

PNJs_dad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The good players are few and far between at the micros. Forget about balance, play for immediate profitability. This is really one of the biggest leaks/most ridiculous concerns of micro players. The secret to poker: valuebetting.

I'm definitely gonna have to consider this more....Thanks for the info. :)