$25NL, AK OOP 3-bet from late position

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Apparently I'm still not clear for myself how I want to be playing this. Early at the table so I didn't rely on the HUD stats too much.

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

UTG ($6)
Hero ($24.65)
MP1 ($10.95)
MP2 ($24.60)
MP3 ($18.35)
CO ($27.35)
Button ($36.70)
SB ($46.65)
BB ($9.80)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A
club.gif
, K
diamond.gif
UTG calls $0.25, Hero raises to $1.25, 3 folds,
CO raises to $3.75, 3 folds, UTG folds,

Hero ???

If the positions were reversed, I could be doing this with AK/AQ as well as JJ+. If there's a chance he's doing this with AQ, the only way to find out is to 4-bet and then fold to a shove, but if he's willing to shove AK and I'm folding to a shove, then I'm not gaining anything by 4-betting.

It's a different situation than below, a couple orbits later. Here I've got a LAG shortstack so my intention is to get him all in. I could have 3 bet a little less to make him think he had more fold equity (which in reality was zero, but he don't know that), but then I didn't want a bigger stack behind me coming along for the ride with a middle pair or something.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

UTG+1 ($3.90)
Hero ($24.15)
MP2 ($12.30)
CO ($17.25)
Button ($30.95)
SB ($36.45)
BB ($46.55)
UTG ($7.40)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A
club.gif
, K
spade.gif
UTG raises to $1, 1 fold,
Hero raises to $3.5
, 5 folds,
UTG raises to $7.4, Hero calls $3.90.

The second hand is pretty straightforward, imo, but what should be my default play with the first hand?

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The second hand is easy. Easy call. If he has anything but A/A or K/K you have the odds to call. A short stack like that will shove with *much* worse.

The first one is trickier. Again, you're only not getting odds if he has A/A or K/K. But in this case has a nice stack and position on you.

He could make this move with J/J, Q/Q, A/K, K/K, or A/A and only 40% of those hands have you dominated.

Unless I had some sort of read on the guy I'd call the $2.50, as it's offering better than 1/1 on our money at this point and it's very easily a position play with a worse hand.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Second hand is just trying to get the LAG short stack all in.

First one is the problem hand; if we just call, what are we planning to do on the flop? 1/3 of the time we're missing the flop, OOP, and have given control of the hand to the 3 better.