$25 NLHE 6-max: Turned straight. What are we up against?

R

Rotanes88

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Found myself in a spot against villain who seemed to be targeting me. On reflection I may have overplayed this hand. I think this is a hand where I should be mixing in more check calls on the flop to avoid tricky decisions on later streets. Should we be calling this turn shove?

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.10/$0.25 - 6 players

UTG: $26.64 (107 bb)
MP (Hero): $35.65 (143 bb)
CO: $26.79 (107 bb)
BU: $37.82 (151 bb)
SB: $31.69 (127 bb)
BB: $19.43 (78 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.35) Hero is MP with 6 6
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.75, 1 fold, BTN calls $0.75, 2 players fold

Flop: ($1.85) 4 3 2 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.88, BTN raises to $2.80, Hero raises to $7, BTN calls $4.20

Turn: ($15.85) 5 (2 players)
Hero bets $8.32, BTN raises to $30.07 (all-in), Hero??

B

braun_kan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since we are out of position and this flop favors the BTN's calling range I would play defensively and check. He has many flopped flushes (broadway hearts, suited connector hearts, AX of hearts) that we have bad equity against. We are also 150 BB deep with a hand that has dangerous reverse implied odds so keeping the pot small is ideal.

Getting re-raised on the flop I would fold. We are frequently drawing dead* against a flush and if we call we are playing a huge pot out of position with a tough hand to play.

It sounds like this villain got you on tilt though which is a mental game leak. The mental game of poker book talks about spots like this specifically.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
8ball says: 67 and flushes

M

mktpppr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
P: fine.

F: horrible flop. We have to check/call vs normal bet.

As played (cbet), tough decision vs raise. I want to call to see a turn, but folding is best. I tank-fold using up all my time-bank.

Almost never 3bet in this spot: our small-ish 2.5x sizing is also a bit weird.

T: as played, we have to check/evaluate. We can go for a cheap showdown easier now.

As played (2barrel), we have to fold vs jam.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop is fine, although you should know that you have a marginal pocket to play postflop. If you are willing to defend VS 3-bet with a low pocket pair, a smaller opening size (between 2x-2.5x) is preferable. If you plan to fold 3-bet preflop, then you can represent a better range by making larger openings like yours.
The flop doesn't really help you because you are unlikely to open 3x with 56s from MP and now your hand is not the best possible, except for a heart combo that you block. Whereas BTN only needs a small bet size for he to get fold equity.
However, raise of V slightly reduces your range of calls. Actually the BTN range should be much wider by definition, but now a part of it could beat you. Combinations like: 78hh; 89hh; 9Thh; JThh; JQhh and even QKhh could have arrived.
At this point it is preferable to fold than to call. 3-bet is a more competitive option.
But your min 3-bet (after larger bet sizes entered) seems polarized. Now you represent the best hand in your range (maybe A6hh)
When you lead on the turn you don't really plan to fold, otherwise your game on the flop is debatable.
However, if you want to save money, I recommend that you fold on turn. Although I think the best line for hero OTT is check-fold.
Greetings.

L

lanelosee100

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Either a flopped flush or the wheel with a high flush card

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Betting the flop is fine, but def should be a check ~25% of the time.
3-betting the flop was a big mistake though. Not sure what you were thinking there.

Turn, a bet for value is fine, and call / fold on the shove is close. Unless he has a really low made flush, there's not much incentive for him to shove. It's a convoluted decision because of your flop 3-bet though, because he could be thinking you're strong enough to call in that spot. Because otherwise, with position, with a made flush the highest EV line for your opponent would be calling, and hoping you bluff river or bet for value. Call fold on that turn is very opponent dependent, but the GTO play here is probably a mix of call / fold.

Did he have AhXx or a low made flush?

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
I agree with others. Check flop, fold to the raise against not super aggressive players.

R

Rotanes88

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Betting the flop is fine, but def should be a check ~25% of the time.
3-betting the flop was a big mistake though. Not sure what you were thinking there.

Turn, a bet for value is fine, and call / fold on the shove is close. Unless he has a really low made flush, there's not much incentive for him to shove. It's a convoluted decision because of your flop 3-bet though, because he could be thinking you're strong enough to call in that spot. Because otherwise, with position, with a made flush the highest EV line for your opponent would be calling, and hoping you bluff river or bet for value. Call fold on that turn is very opponent dependent, but the GTO play here is probably a mix of call / fold.

Did he have AhXx or a low made flush?

Thanks for the response. Made the raise due to a bit of tilt. He had the wheel with the Ace of hearts......lucky me on this hand I guess.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I was reading your description, I was thinking it's possible he has the Ah here. Because he has position, and you are repping strong, I suspect if he has a made flush he might just call you on the turn as well expecting a river bet from you.

Why? Because from his perspective IF he already has a flush on the flop, the turn doesn't really change anything. He still has the lead.

So why doesn't he just reraise you again on the flop after you reraised his raise? Is he afraid a fourth heart will come? Does he plan to inflate the pot with the raise but just call bigger bets or even fold if a 4th heart comes?

If it was me and I already have a flush, but a vulnerable flush on the flop, and you reraised me, I am all in.

So why would he shove the turn but not the flop?
IF he had a flush, and he only called your raise on the turn but then he shoves turn, the reason would be he thinks you have an A and made a straight and therefore he could get you to possibly call his turn shove.

However, the other reason would be he himself has an A. He raised the flop to try to get you off the hand because he doesn't think the flop hit you hard. However, instead of folding, he called your reraise because he must have a piece of the flop.

As played, he must not put you on a 6 and thought he had the best hand on the turn and even if he didn't, he still had outs.

------------
As played though I would just call the flop, as others say.

Still, to call that shove against an aggro reg isn't horrible.