$25 NLHE 6-max: big blind special, gone wrong

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure how to pull hand histories out of ignition, but I recently played this hand and I'm stuck on it for a lot of reasons.

Villain is UTG+1 raises to $0.60. SB calls for $0.50. Hero(BB) calls for $0.35 with 43o.

Flop As 2s, 3h. Villain bets $0.61, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn 5h. Hero checks, Villain checks.

River Ks. Hero bets $1.75, Villain raises to $7.50. Hero calls.

I'll reveal villains hand later. Thoughts? I'll add I'm definitely not happy with how I played the hand...regardless of result, hence why I'm posting here.

K

kozong

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
turn is a bet to charge those spades draw & river is a x/c if its a reasonable bet

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The first mistake was calling preflop.

B

Benego

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would bet the turn here, just to confuse him, I don't have any info about villain, if he check-raises than I would go carefully, depending on the bet size...
I would put him on AK, the way he plays the hand..

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just fold this pre. Yes you are getting a good price, but your hand is really bad, you are out of position against original raiser, and SB should have a very strong range to get involved. Postflop is fine. You could lead the turn, but its sort of obvious, and you are likely not getting 2 streets of value anyway with a 1-liner to a straight. So its fine to mix it up and do a bit of both. When it goes check-check on the turn, you have to lead for value on the river. And I dont think, you can fold this. Most people would bet 64 and a flush draw again on the turn, and if has you beat, its just a cooler.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain had J9 spades. I felt like villain would barrel turn, which is why i checked. Part of my river call was based on AK of spades blocking a lot of flushes considering he raised preflop. Also, people at these stakes will commonly make big river bluffs with air...so i often call with high end bluff catchers when a bet doesn't make sense. I debated whether i should play the hand regardless, whether i should lead turn, and whether i should call river. Thanks for feedback.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are calling around 6 to win a pot of 18, so you only need to be good around 1 in 3 times. For sure your hand is only a bluff catcher, but at 25NL you have to assume, most people are able to sometimes bluff the river, especially when then can represent something like a flush.

And again how many spade combos can he even have here? AX and KX is not possible, and he opened from HJ seat, so low suited connectors should not be in his range. So its something like QJ, QT, JT, J9, T9, which is only 5 combos. That being said this is the bottom of your value range, so you are probably supposed to do a partial here and only call sometimes.

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure how to pull hand histories out of ignition, but I recently played this hand and I'm stuck on it for a lot of reasons.

Villain is UTG+1 raises to $0.60. SB calls for $0.50. Hero(BB) calls for $0.35 with 43o.

I'll reveal villains hand later. Thoughts? I'll add I'm definitely not happy with how I played the hand...regardless of result, hence why I'm posting here.

You called a 1/3 pot bet on the flop with an 8% chance of hitting a 5. Due to the nature of implied odds, you are going to have to win at least $3 more dollars from this hand to break even.

Villain's bet is pretty weak here considering everything. After you see the SB fold, maybe consider a check-raise to take the pot down now. If Villain is weak, he might not pay you off as much as you'd hope. As the hand progressed, especially with the check behind on the turn, it looks like he has something like KQs - KJs.

You can look at turn bet sizes, but perhaps $1.5 to $2 into that ~$3 dollar pot would be a start. IT would be safer to look for value among his Ax hands, though I'm not sure it would be the most profitable.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You called a 1/3 pot bet on the flop with an 8% chance of hitting a 5. Due to the nature of implied odds, you are going to have to win at least $3 more dollars from this hand to break even.

Any 3 or 4 might also give us the best hand, and we are already ahead with our pair of 3`s, if Villain is bluffing. As in fact he was with his J high flush draw.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Use Drivehud to track on Ignition and then you can easily post hands.

Why are you calling pre-flop? River is a fine bet/fold w/o better info. Your range is pretty transparent and shouldn't include Ax, so you should have straights and flushes.

C

Cash2019

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! I think 34o is a pretty vulnerable combination for playing postflop. When I wrote the message, I did not look at your answer below and thought that the villain had something like A5 or set. An interesting outcome.