$200 NL HE Full Ring: Should I have called this hand?

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$1/$2
Table Format
Full (8-10 seats)
Currency
$
I think I messed this hand up, but wanted to get feedback. Had As-9d in the BB. Pot limped to me with 4 limpers so I bumped it to $15 and all called. This was typical.

Flop comes Ac-Kh-10c. I bet $20. One player folded. Next player shoved for his remaining $106. Other two folded to me. I had about $200 behind. I didn't think it through as well as I should have and folded. I should have remembered that he initially limped and then called my raise. He turned over Kc-8c for second pair and flush draw.

According to the poker odds calculator, it seems I was about 50/50, so maybe it wasn't a bad fold. If I had been deeper, I would have called, but didn't want to lose more than half my stack.

BigKulpPoker

BigKulpPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
With preflop money and your flop $20 bet already in the pot, you don't need better than 50/50 to call a heads up allin, in fact you can profitably call with less than 50% chance to win.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
A9o out of position, I think I would rather just check than squeeze, as it's not a good spot when called as you will often be dominated.

If my maths is right you need to call $86 to win a pot of $287 so you only need 30% equity or so (and everyone else has folded so no future betting rounds). Its close either way I think, you would expect worse not to play this way for value, but he could be on a draw. I think fold is probably the better play but call is not bad.

The error really was the squeeze with too weak a hand (and it probably wasnt big enough if everyone called). The flop cbet is really small but I think that's fine, to get called by pair plus gutshot type combos, though I would often check in these spots as your hand is not that strong.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When it limped all the way to me in the BB, I figured my A-9 had to be ahead, but since it's not a real strong hand, I wanted to try to thin the field while also building a pot pre-flop. I achieved the second goal but not the first. Given how many hands had gone like this previously, I probably should have just checked it. A larger bet, like $25, probably would have chased a couple off, but I didn't want to go that big with A9o. I wanted to bet post flop because I figured it would likely check around, and I didn't want to give people with a random Q or J a chance to hit the straight for free and didn't want to give the flush chasers a free card, either. But had I not raised preflop and checked the flop and the dude shoved all-in, I could have easily folded and only been out $3.

Chris Rowbach

Chris Rowbach

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I like checking preflop here. Hope to hit a big flop, otherwise get off cheap.

Chris Rowbach

Chris Rowbach

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands