$200 NL HE 6-max: Royal Flush for a 437bb pot.

Mr_Kk13

Mr_Kk13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$1/$2
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
Would you have done anything different than the BB did?

Would you have done anything differently than what the BB did?

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Hey mate it’s been a long time! I missed your posts.
Well, if I’m playing on BB’s shoes I would be 4-betting or folding this AJs more often than calling: I would call 15% of times, and 4-bet 40% of times or a bit more. The reason is that I want to isolate the UTG player to make my odds better, to play a heads-up pot OOP.
WHEN I call the 3-bet I’m giving my odds away, letting UTG enter the pot for a good price. Plus when I 4-bet I have initiative upon the pot and can decently represent AA, KK, AK, etc.
If BU 5-bets I fold.
On the flop we cannot raise yet, BU still has the best hands and the flop is dry. OTT I would raise because now it’s more likely we own the best hand and our intention is to extract value of potential draws of villain. We aren’t expecting to get many calls from 9x or Tx. Maybe some dominated aces, so I’m on board of raising this turn for value and protection.
The river isn’t one the cards that could be good to our range, so I wouldn’t be leading here but checking instead, to try to call a fair sizing bet of villain or fold. Our trips here had lost huge value because it’s not only losing to hands like AK, but also to a bunch of straights and flushes.
Once we lead and villain jams, we have plenty of room for folding. BB move seems too much optimistic or a move that a “clever” player would do for reasons X and Y: but it’s just too fishy to be playing like this.
Thanks a lot for posting this hand for us!

Best regards;

Qniversity

Qniversity

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Preflop call seems close with the original raiser left to act and getting good odds to ship/4b but they are deep and AXs can make the nuts so meh. I would prefer cold 4bet AQs+ but it depends if BTN is a fish. If the fish is the guy in the big blind then LOLz A2o.

Flop looks like a must call but it sucks because the board is draw heavy meaning we're looking at taking the second barrel on a lot of runouts and lose to every non-draw value hand in what will become a big pot OOP very deep. Also there's another player left to act.

Turn the extra ace removes a lot of those non-draw value hands. BTN now has a more bluff heavy range. I really like the raise.

River seems pretty awful imo seeing as villain has now flipped to a massively value heavy range. He has all the boats, all the flushes and all the straights which would call or raise against the AJ so that $51 isn't really a value bet and literally the only bluffs I can find for BTN are the 4 combos of 87s and maybe the 3 combos of KQs plus 2 combos of KJs that we block.

Mr_Kk13

Mr_Kk13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey mate it’s been a long time! I missed your posts.
Well, if I’m playing on BB’s shoes I would be 4-betting or folding this AJs more often than calling: I would call 15% of times, and 4-bet 40% of times or a bit more. The reason is that I want to isolate the UTG player to make my odds better, to play a heads-up pot OOP.
WHEN I call the 3-bet I’m giving my odds away, letting UTG enter the pot for a good price. Plus when I 4-bet I have initiative upon the pot and can decently represent AA, KK, AK, etc.
If BU 5-bets I fold.
On the flop we cannot raise yet, BU still has the best hands and the flop is dry. OTT I would raise because now it’s more likely we own the best hand and our intention is to extract value of potential draws of villain. We aren’t expecting to get many calls from 9x or Tx. Maybe some dominated aces, so I’m on board of raising this turn for value and protection.
The river isn’t one the cards that could be good to our range, so I wouldn’t be leading here but checking instead, to try to call a fair sizing bet of villain or fold. Our trips here had lost huge value because it’s not only losing to hands like AK, but also to a bunch of straights and flushes.
Once we lead and villain jams, we have plenty of room for folding. BB move seems too much optimistic or a move that a “clever” player would do for reasons X and Y: but it’s just too fishy to be playing like this.
Thanks a lot for posting this hand for us!

Best regards;
Hello mate! I have been focused on recording as many hands as I can to have a proper uploading schedule for the channel for the months that will come. I hope I will be able to post more frequently here, because I enjoy reading the discussion a hand sparks, even if I don't have time to reply to every single comment. I read several points of view and analyses and I am learning, and subsequently, we are all learning.!
As far as the hand concerned, I think intuitively, many players cold call with AJs and choose to 4bet with the offsuit variety, without that meaning of course that you should not 4bet AJs as well. I would probably 4bet also to be honest, I am not familiar with the GTO range here though in this situation.
Flop is a standard call, turn I agree. On the river, I would strongly consider folding as well, especially in lower stakes, and if I'm calling, I'm calling with a low frequency.
All in all, I would probably 4bet pre, and if I call pre instead, and I arrive to the river this way, I am most likely folding.
Thanks for taking the time to comment with your analysis mate!

Mr_Kk13

Mr_Kk13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop call seems close with the original raiser left to act and getting good odds to ship/4b but they are deep and AXs can make the nuts so meh. I would prefer cold 4bet AQs+ but it depends if BTN is a fish. If the fish is the guy in the big blind then LOLz A2o.

Flop looks like a must call but it sucks because the board is draw heavy meaning we're looking at taking the second barrel on a lot of runouts and lose to every non-draw value hand in what will become a big pot OOP very deep. Also there's another player left to act.

Turn the extra ace removes a lot of those non-draw value hands. BTN now has a more bluff heavy range. I really like the raise.

River seems pretty awful imo seeing as villain has now flipped to a massively value heavy range. He has all the boats, all the flushes and all the straights which would call or raise against the AJ so that $51 isn't really a value bet and literally the only bluffs I can find for BTN are the 4 combos of 87s and maybe the 3 combos of KQs plus 2 combos of KJs that we block.
I strongly agree with your analysis!
Yes, given that we are the pre-flop caller, on the river we are in a pretty tough spot. I would strongly consider folding, given how I have played this hand till the river and not focus on leveling myself that my opponent is trying to get me off Ax trips, because I don't think he arrives with enough bluffing candidates on the river in order for me to have a call(if he is bluffing).

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Would you have done anything different than the BB did?

Yes his reraise on the river tells me he has a straigt, a flush , AK or a boat, all of which are hands he could legitimately have, Trip aces are are pretty useless.

Full Flush Poker