$2 NLHE 6-max: Too tight fold with KK?

P

pietjepuk76

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Is the fold too tight here? I think most of the time I will run into a set or something like that. Maybe he plays a strong draw on this way.
PokerStars - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

SB: 100 BB
BB: 181 BB
UTG: 36.5 BB
MP: 79.5 BB
CO: 110.5 BB
Hero (BTN): 100 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K K

UTG raises to 2 BB, fold, CO calls 2 BB, Hero raises to 6 BB, fold, fold, UTG calls 4 BB, CO calls 4 BB

Flop: (19.5 BB, 3 players) 2 6 8
UTG checks, CO bets 6.5 BB, Hero raises to 28 BB, fold, CO raises to 103 BB, fold

CO wins 73 BB

P

PrinceJigger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without any stats or prior information on the CO, I would have also laid it down.

Personally, I would have flatted the donk bet on the flop but I think raising is fine (maybe raise it to 20bb instead of 28bb). If villain 3-bet jams then I'm folding.

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on your read of the player. If the CO is known to be aggressive, then I would call. If they are tight normally, I would be cautious and most likely fold. I have seen where aggression is a sign they are trying to bluff. If it was early game, a fold is smart. The later game means you should have a read and know how the person normally acts.

J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting hand. I think the squeeze pre flop could be a little bigger especially against a standard UTG range maybe 4-6 BBs.
UTG likely caps his range to off suit Broadway's on the flop.
The CO lead could mean many things, yes he has all the sets but it could be top pair, flush draws or an overpair like 99 which he now thinks is the nuts, I actually just like a call here, it keeps him in with his draws that lack SDV and he may decide to check the turn if say a Jack comes.
When you make a huge raise which I'm guessing you make for value it doesn't really make much sense to then fold when your getting okay odds, hopefully someone will chime in with your odds.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pre needs to be much bigger, that's the biggest mistake in this hand. On the flop, raise size is bad (20-22bbs is better) and I don't hate a call to the shove. It's not a huge EV call either way with what you already have in the pot, it's probably a slightly -EV fold, but it's the lower variance play. :)

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to do narmal raise preflop, something like 12- 15 bb, because you have open raiser and cold caller. UTG raiser looks like fish - he has small stack and did min raise. CO - unknown, whether he setmining or drawing with suited hands or slowplaing top pairs? I would play raise/fold on flop or maybe check/call for pot control. But this is not exactly.

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is the fold too tight here? I think most of the time I will run into a set or something like that. Maybe he plays a strong draw on this way.
PokerStars - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

SB: 100 BB
BB: 181 BB
UTG: 36.5 BB
MP: 79.5 BB
CO: 110.5 BB
Hero (BTN): 100 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K K

UTG raises to 2 BB, fold, CO calls 2 BB, Hero raises to 6 BB, fold, fold, UTG calls 4 BB, CO calls 4 BB

Flop: (19.5 BB, 3 players) 2 6 8
UTG checks, CO bets 6.5 BB, Hero raises to 28 BB, fold, CO raises to 103 BB, fold

CO wins 73 BB

Hello,

In a cash game I would not fold this. Opponent could have AA or a set but he could have a draw or QQ, JJ, or 10,10 maybe even 9,9. I would call and expect to win more often than not. If this player has been playing tight and you know he's a nit then I would fold. Typically at these stakes the players over commit with less than nutted hands at a high frequency.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I agree with guys who think that squeeze pre flop should be a little bigger, my standard raise pre flop is at least 3x, when I have one raise and one call pre flop I play more, at least 4x, at least 1x for every caller. When we play this hand correctly and play bigger squeeze pre flop, then sometimes one player fold his hand pre flop. Despite as you played this hand pre flop, I also think that in this situation pocket KK is too strong to fold and I also think that in longrun time fold can be EV-. If you play more pre flop, then some medium pocket pairs can fold pre flop. If you will play more pre flop, then rarely you lose against set. Sometimes you lose against set, but it happens sometimes. GL :)

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3 bet much larger preflop, and I'm calling that shove every time on the flop (with the exception of a large hand sample and very specific reads on villain).

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Against a larger open and only one player, its fine to 3-bet 3X in position. But against a mini-raise and with a field caller you need to go much larger here. With your sizing you are pricing them in to call with all sort of speculative junk and giving them great implied odds to try and crack your overpair.

Flop
I think, its fine to raise that small donk bet, and when he jam, its a close decision. This small donk bet then large 3-bet line is typically weighted towards the nuts, and since he dubble flatted preflop, we expect him to have a lot of small pairs or suited connector type hands in his range. So this does smell quite a bit like a set or maybe 86s, and I dont totally hate letting it go. It does depend on the player type though, since some bad players might act like, their 99 or TT is the nuts on a board like this.

Conclusion
If you raise bigger preflop, then the rest of the hand might not even have happened, and its totally fine to simply pick up 5,5BB with KK. And if you still got action, then KK is a much easier stack-off on a board like this, because the SPR would be lower, and the chance someone is in there with junky hands like 22 or 86 goes down. Which would then pretty much leave 66 and 88 as the only hands, that got there, and then I am simply not folding KK. Easy call, and if he happen to have it, good for him.

Folding in Poker