$2 NLHE 6-max: Scary board against unknown possible fish, best line with a boat ?

Live2Raise

Live2Raise

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars - $0.02 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BTN: $2.00 (100 bb)
SB: $1.97 (98.5 bb)
BB: $5.01 (250.5 bb)
UTG: $2.70 (135 bb)
MP: $1.57 (78.5 bb)
Hero (CO): $3.23 (161.5 bb)

SB posts $0.01, BB posts $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has :7c4: :7d4:
2 folds, Hero raises to $0.06, 2 folds, BB raises to $0.12, Hero calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.25, 2 players) :5d4: :5s4: :7s4:
BB bets $0.12, Hero calls $0.12

Turn: ($0.49, 2 players) :jd4:
BB checks, Hero bets $0.26, BB calls $0.26

River: ($1.01, 2 players) :jh4:
BB bets $0.49, Hero ?

V is unknown with 60/20 on 5 hands meaning nothing. He min 3bet so I get that he's a possible bad player. and the odds are pretty good for the call IP.

OTF : I flop the virtual nuts apart from quads (unlikely due to PF action). I let villain cbet and call as there isn't really any scare card that can come.

OTT : Villain check and I bet (maybe a bit small with the amount of draws that could be here at the moment with all Axs of spade, some Axs of diamond, all Kxs of spade and probably KTs+ of diamond. There is also loads of J in V range plus he might be slowplaying JJ+ and might call with 88+.

OTR : Probably the worst card in the deck. I won't fold since my hands is still very strong against overpairs and as a "bluffcatcher" ? But it's definitely not something that I see myself stacking with, especially not that deep. Villain could have a bunch of J in his range but he still has overpairs althought they probably don't call a raise here.

I see his betting range as :

JJ+, Js9s, JsTs, QsJs, KJ, AJ, A5s

According to equilab, the call is good, but not a raise since he only calls with a J or A5s. Do you think that calling instead of raising is the good decision ?

B

braun_kan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think we can pin villain as fishy based on his stats after 5 hands and his raise size. Against this player type you can probably shove OTR and get paid off against their overpairs: AA,KK,QQ = 18 combos. I think this player type will also show up with bluffs here, so their betting range OTR is not exclusively for value. I.e. they tried to take down the pot with a c-bet, got frustrated when you tried to take it down on the turn and called, then spewed on the river as a bluff. If they did have a Jack in their hand it seems strange to me that they wouldn't c-bet the turn after improving, unless they had JJ and decide to slowplay, but that is only 1 combo. Also they might just be overvaluing their top two-pair with 88,99,TT. We have a small sample size on villain but they could easily be the type who does not even have AJ, KJ, JT, J9 in their 3-bet range. I think I would lean towards a shove here or at least a value bet on their over pairs and pocket pairs. Curious what others think though.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that calling is really the only option here.

That rivered J just sucks, but there are still many hands that a fish will play like that, that you are beating (he could even have an AK/AQ type hand and think that with the double paired board his Ace high is good).

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm raising that flop if there is any chance he is a fish. I know we're deep but I want maximum value here vs a fish, they might get it all in by the river with TT+, or if they improve to some sort of Broadway pair, maybe even just an A, or they might just go crazy for no reason. There won't be many reasons to slow down.

The river sucks here, it happens. As played can call vs a probable fish.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, I think that call on the river is right decision. You told that opponent is look like a fish and he seems like a weaker player, because 3bet pre flop is too small. I think that call on the flop with full house is fine, because if we raise him on the flop we can scare him and he can fold. The turn card - usually check on the turn on this card OOP means a weakness. If he would have a Jx he should play bet on the turn to protect his top pair. So decision on the river - I think that we should call his bet, because our hand is too strong to fold. I he has better full house, it hurt, but IMO it is the part of poker. Cooler situation. GL :)

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since he min-raised pre-flop, I'd min raise that flop 100% of the time and allow him to do something spazy. As played, river call is the only play w/o better info. It's overly optimistic with how deep you are that a fish would call a raise (especially a shove) w/ a big pocket pair.