$2 NLHE 6-max: Please could you provide me any feedback on this hand... Pointers to learn from

B

Bluebottle88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 NLHE 6-max: Please could you provide me any feedback on this hand... Pointers to learn from

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 5 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker - https://upswingpoker.com/convert

UTG (Hero): $1.10 (55 bb)
CO: $2.92 (146 bb)
BU: $2.10 (105 bb)
SB: $2.87 (144 bb)
BB: $4.26 (213 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is UTG with A♠ 8♠
Hero raises to $0.06, 3 players fold, BB calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.13) 3♠ 2♦ 9♥ (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.06, BB calls $0.06

Turn: ($0.25) 2♠ (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($0.25) Q♠ (2 players)
BB bets $0.12, Hero raises to $0.48, BB raises to $1.08, Hero calls $0.50 (all-in)

Total pot: $2.21 (Rake: $0.08)

Showdown:
BB shows 9♣ 9♠ (a full house, Nines full of Twos)
(equity - Pre-Flop: 68%, Flop: 96%, Turn: 100%, River: 100%)

UTG (Hero) shows A♠ 8♠ (a flush, Ace high)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 32%, Flop: 4%, Turn: 0%, River: 0%)

BB wins $2.13

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I like the raise pre, would of preferred a check back on the flop and turn. I would of folded to vills bet as he went from checking both streets to bettog the river, normally suggests that a high card is no good especially when he is 3betting..

Why are you playing with a short stack

B

Bluebottle88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the raise pre, would of preferred a check back on the flop and turn. I would of folded to vills bet as he went from checking both streets to bettog the river, normally suggests that a high card is no good especially when he is 3betting..

Why are you playing with a short stack

Because I'm not very good... Lost a bit :(

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Because I'm not very good... Lost a bit :(

We all start out making mistakes. There are a lot of good players on cardschat who can and will improve your game, you are already improving by joining cardschat.

When playing cash games, you must buy in for the max and if you fall under 100 BBS, top up.

B

Bluebottle88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We all start out making mistakes. There are a lot of good players on cardschat who can and will improve your game, you are already improving by joining cardschat.

When playing cash games, you must buy in for the max and if you fall under 100 BBS, top up.

Thank you

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold preflop with 55 bb from utg.
Your hand blocks a line of color, but at the same time you are less likely to get it, and they will call you many times aces better (54% will be dominated by better Aces)
There are 5 players left to talk and this reduces your implied odds.
If you had a stack of 100 bb you can open this boat more comfortably, but you should be more tight when many players are behind you and you have a medium stack.
Greetings.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Over bet the turn. As played, the river is standard.

Make sure to play full stacked though. Half a stack on no-limit isn't a good strategy. If you're going to play short stacked, buy in for minimum. But I'd advised to just play full.

teh_colonel_saigon

teh_colonel_saigon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, know that your stack size here affects your strategy.

For the people saying top off if anywhere under 100bb, I disagree. You can play for a bit and deal with the minor fluctuations... once you lose a significant amount though (once you're at say 75 bbs) I'd look at topping off, or if you're tilting, just quitting and cooling off for a bit.

With 55bbs, getting it in here is fine. As mentioned before, 55bbs shouldn't be raising this loose UTG.

As played, I think it's ok to bet out flop. When he calls you can start constructing a range for him... 9T, maybe A9s, A3s, A2s... depending on your readings for the player.

You saw that you were behind in the hand and checked behind on turn. Looks good.

River you hit the flush. He bets out and you rightly raise. I think your raise size is good. He could have some worse flushes, trip 2s, or Q9 making two pair. Or he could get suspicious and call with just a 9.

When he shoves, you have to call due to the price you are getting. 50 cents to win 1.50 thereabouts... this is how having a short stack affects you. Less flexibility.

I don't think you played poorly. Keep posting and practicing!

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Ignore my river comment, I didn't realise you had the flush. I am at work while commenting on here, my phone is a little on the small side, and don't have my reading glasses on.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mostly this hand is just a cooler or setup, and in the long run these situations simply dont matter. You just need to ask yourself the following question: When we he have the nut flush, and you have the full house, does he get away, or does he also lose his entire stack to you?

And I think, the answer is obvious. Nobody gets away from the nut flush for 100BB or less on a board like this. There are simply just not enough hands, you lose to, to even consider folding, and he could be overplaying a worse flush. So dont even worry about a hand like this. Just reload and continue to play.

The only thing, I would have done different, is to continue betting the turn, when you pick up a flushdraw. But its not really a mistake to check back, and if you are playing at a very advanced level (which 2NL is obviously not), you probably want to use a mixed strategy to be less predictable.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands