$2 NLHE 6-max: MP against aggression with BB.

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There are no statistics, the opponent is unknown. The only thing was that there were a lot of very aggressive players that day, so my opening range didn't exceed 14%.
UTG: $2.06 (103 bb)
MP (Hero): $1.16 (58 bb)
CO: $2.84 (142 bb)
BU: $5.92 (296 bb)
SB: $0.63 (32 bb)
BB: $2.00 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop ($0.03)
Hero is MP with 5♣ 5♠
1 fold,Hero raises to $0.04, CO,BTN ,SB players fold, BB 3-bets to $0.11,Hero calls $0.07

Flop: ($0.23) 2♣ 4♠ 3♥(2 players)
BB bets $0.18, Hero calls $0.18
Turn: ($0.59) Q♦
BB bets $0.46, Hero calls $0.46
A very difficult moment should I call here or should I play differently, after the call, fold on the river will result in the loss of the initial buy-in from which 60% remained at the beginning of this hand.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you can help it don't play with a short stack.

I imagine this influenced your small open size and resulting small sized 3-Bet from villain. With a full stack and normal sized open of 2.5bb and 11bb BB 3 bet 55 is mixing calling and folding. You having a small stack also makes calling less profitable. Most of the expected value from low pocket pairs come from hitting trips and stacking villain, you're going to flop a set about 1/8 times so you need to get full value the times you do.

Secondly with a big stack I don't think villain can put the same amount of pressure on you. You're huge decision is basically on the turn here, where you have a pretty nice hand but one that you can't make enough on when you hit either an A or a 6 but your other two 5s are now less likely to be good as it would give all of villains Aces a straight (Might not be overly relevant have no Idea what villain should have here with the big flop and turn bet)

If you had a full stack you can consider making a turn call with a reasonable amount of equity vs a maniac and can still draw out to the nuts, and he might slow down with some A high hands but I really have no idea, this hand is a situation you don't come across much so I wouldn't spend too much time thinking about it.

Buy in and keep a 100bb stack and if you really want to you can use an application like Flopzilla and try and figure out what range he would double barrel big with on that flop and what equity you need to make the turn call and see if 55 make it there.

K

kozong

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
looking at Stack to Pot Ratio on the turn pot bet, BB is basically try to force us to go all in on the turn - so if you're not comfortable going all in there, then its a fold on the turn

also this
If you can help it don't play with a short stack.

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Set autorebay to full stack.
Bet 3x with all hands.
Flop fold. Call against chances to buy straight.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3x pre flop wen you raise. The short stack thing is up to you but if you are going to play with a short stack then I believe there needs to be more hands that you are prepared to go with when you get it in a hand.

On the flop, I believe this is the spot in the hand facing this sizing with $1.05 left behind on whether you are going with the hand or not. In your post I read it as the turn was where you were thinking should I go with it or not. Facing this bet I either fold or decide I am not folding this hand no matter the runout (which is dangerous of course). If I am never folding then a case can be made for jamming due to equity denial but if you are going with the hand I think I would call flop and then jam over the large bet on the turn and hope you are facing an over aggressive opponent as you mention. In reality, there are few turns and rivers that you like and facing a raise pre and the large flop bet in the long run I think this is a better fold on the flop.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre-flop is close in terms of call/fold because of your stack size. It's a pretty neutral call. As far as the turn, it's a shove or fold spot, you can't call and expect to fold the river. It would be better if there were more draws instead of it being a rainbow board, but you want to commit your opponent on the turn.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you want to play w/ 58bb then your hand is closer to a preflop fold. I know it sounds bad but as your SPR margin decreases the choices for an opening range become much stricter.
The initial size is possibly the most acceptable for this sequence. The rest of the actions together make up an unnecessary polarization for this texture. You are blocking bluff hands that your villain might have at 3-bet range (A5s and in much less F: 56s).
This situation leaves V with better hands on the turn and your call there with PO 2.2:1. That is to say an insufficient ratio for your odds.
The fact of not knowing your rival should be a key factor to act with more prudence here.
If you suspect that you are at an aggressive table, then the board somehow helps the villain more than it helps you. Keep in mind that many hands that tried to bluff preflop will now try to come out stronger like: QJ; QK; QA.
Greetings.

Last edited: