1 fold, BTN raises to $0.06, 1 fold, Hero 3-bets to $0.20, BTN calls $0.14

Flop: ($0.41) 9 3 9 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.24, BTN calls $0.24

Turn: ($0.89) Q (2 players)
Hero bets $0.50, BTN raises to $1.11, Hero calls $0.61

River: ($3.11) 8 (2 players)
Hero bets $1.81 (all-in), BTN calls $1.81

I give the unknown villain this sort of range for his BTN, 3-bet flatting:

Do you think this is a fair range for BTN calling my SB-3bet?

On the flop I am thinking to bet here because we want to take the pot and have backdoor equity and deny villain a turn card to pair his over-card/broadway hands and put pressure on his middle/weak PP's. In your experience do you think a generic player is calling the flop with over-card broadway hands ? I decide to bet to also setup a 2nd barrel on the turn for more fold equity.

I decide to bet a bit over half pot. risk/ (risk+reward) 0.24/0.65= 38%

I need villain to fold 38% of his range on the flop for it to be a profitable bet, I don't no how often he folds but I assume if we double barrel the turn on a decent card we may get him to fold a large portion so I decide to bet here. Villain calls

The turn brings Qc giving me an OESD. I decide to C-bet on the Q because I can easily have hands like AA,KK,QQ,AQ, I think with this bet a large portion of villains underpairs should be folding.. basically JJ and lower.. do you think this is a profitable bluffing spot or does villains range connect with the Q well?

On the turn I need villain to fold roughly 35% of his range or more to make this bluff bet profitable. If we can get villains weak pairs and Ace-highs to fold I think this bet is ok. what are your thoughts?

Villain decides to min raise me on the turn and I believe this to be a value raise 100% of the time , I give his value range something like AQ,KQ,QJ, possibly a slow played QQ and some 9x hands like A9s or T9s. The pot is now $2.50 and its 0.60c to call meaning I'm getting direct 4:1 to call for my OESD, I don't think I can fold here can I? River comes and I want to get paid , I assume villain has a value hand to call and shove. Thoughts?

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
there's no much to add, is like you're teaching us, instead of be chasing a right answer, is like you already know the answer but you just wanna a "validation".

I write that in a positive way, I liked the thread.

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice hand!

The range you posted seems decently accurate for a BU vs SB 3-bet flatting range. I don't know this particular player but the micro stakes player pool definitely over-folds when facing a 3-bet. Against an unknown players, give them credit for a tighter range.

On this dry texture, against the wide calling range that you think villain is playing, I think c-betting your entire 3-bet vs BU RFI range is good. Any backdoor draws you might have just give you a slight equity edge on top of the fold equity you get from betting, but I don't think you'll need it. If villain's 3-bet calling range is tighter than you might think JTs is still a good combo to c-bet with but I would check some Axs and Kxs in my range.

I think most players have learned to get sticky on the flop with pretty marginal holdings including overcards and backdoor draws.

On the turn is where it actually gets interesting. Because you c-bet (close to) 100% of your range but villain folds a sizeable portion of his range facing that bet, villain now has the range advantage on the turn. The Q is good for your specific holding, but the card is actually better for villain's range since he's supposed to have folded all his junk already. I like betting with JTs though since you'll still have plenty of value combo's, JTs is towards the bottom of your range if you miss, and we have some outs that play most of the time.

Once you get raised I agree that it's most likely for value. I don't really like that K9s and Q9s are in villain's raising range but with the odds presented it's still a call. Once the money card hits shoving is probably the best way to get the money in. He might call with some top pair combo's that he would've otherwise checked back and he's for sure calling with trips, straights and boats.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
3-betting JTs from BB is pretty agressive, but it like it. It makes you more unpredictable, and it discourage him more from stealing your blinds, than if you always defend by calling, unless you have a really premium hand. I would also sometimes call with hands like this, so its what, many people call a "partial" these days.

Flop
I would also C-bet, since you have literally no showdown value. J high like a boss.

Turn
You still have no showdown value, but you picked up a draw, so this is an almost mandatory dubble barrel. And then of course the raise happens. This frankly suck. You say, that you think, his range is 100% value, and I tend to agree. It looks like a "please call me" sizing, and he sets it up, so he can easily jam the river. So the question then becomes, what is his "I want to stack off for value" range 200BB deep? Does it include AQ? Trips? Or is it basically only boats?

If we are closer to the latter possibility, then you obviously can not give this raise action, since you are drawing dead against a boat. And even if his range is wider, there are still some reverse implied odds on the river, if for instance he have K9s, and you "improve" on a K. So I know, this sounds really tight and nitty. But unless there were some dynamics between you, I lean towards bailing out and letting him have it.

River
So you made your straight and also the best end of it, since the 8 is less scary to a hand like AQ than a K. I guess, we are not check-folding now, because if we think, he is only stacking off boats, then we should have folded on the turn. So it becomes a question of, do we think, he is more likely to call or bet with trips or AQ, which are basically the hands, we are trying to get paid by. Dynamics are important here, but whenever people have no bluffs, its often best to lead out, so as played I am ok with this.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there's no much to add, is like you're teaching us, instead of be chasing a right answer, is like you already know the answer but you just wanna a "validation".

I write that in a positive way, I liked the thread.

Definitley not trying to teach anyone. I posted the hand because I dont know if I played it right or if I should have checked and or folded earlier, I posted it and wrote it in a manner to let everyone know my thoughts in hopes that if someone sees a mistake in my thinking they can let me know their thoughts. I have confusion over the risk/(risk+reward) lately because when I use the equation it doesnt take into account later betting rounds, this confuses me because if villain doesnt fold x% of his range on the flop then we are -ev bluffing? And then on the turn when we 2nd barrel we use same math equation and villain would need to fold x% of his range but it doesnt take into account the -ev bluff of the earlier street if villain called more than we needed him to for the bluff to be profitable. I write my hands in this manner looking for guidance and others thoughts on ranges etc. I have a hard time still putting opponents on ranges, like whst hands they call the flop with here, what hands they fold.. do people typically call this flop with missed broadways? I do not know