$2 NLHE 6-max: Doubts w/AKs facing 3B when crazy Fish enter on Pot!

Phoenix2223

Phoenix2223

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $2.31 (116 bb)(VPIP:83, PFR:2, Fold to F CB: 25, Hands: 49)
MP: $2.42 (121 bb)
CO (Hero): $2.25 (113 bb)
BU: $3.54 (177 bb)
SB: $2.01 (101 bb)
BB: $2.06 (103 bb)(VPIP: 24, PFR: 22, 3B Pre: 12, CB F: 91, Hands: 175)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with K A
UTG calls $0.02, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.08, 2 players fold, BB 3-bets to $0.26, UTG calls $0.24, Hero ???

BB here is a Light 3Bettor. Although I'm in position here, I think Call this 3Bet here is Bad 'cause I have to play very Fit-or-Fold( BB seems to be a Crazy Cbettor, besides UTG is very Calling Station on the Flop). Beyond all of this, UTG is probably calling any 4B( I saw this in other spots w/ him). If I 4B shove, possibly I have good advantage vs UTG, but too bad vs BB.
My answer is: Given that assumptions what is the best line here? 4Bet Shove, 4Bet a reasonable size or Call this 3Bet?

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t like 4bet because again we are forced to play fit and fold, also BB can’t CB too much when he knows fish don’t fold, I don’t like shove because fish might fold, I know calling 3bet is profitable if the fish is in the pot, so I would just flat the 3bet and play fit and fold =)

AK is good hand in a way that all possible plays are ok or at least not too bad scenarios.

I wonder if there is a correct answer to your question.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think i flat call. I think that is going to be the best play because if he is a "crazy 3-better" as you say, he will probably fold the middle of his range, which we have equity against, and 5-bet his value hands, AA and KK, as well as some of his bluffs. We would be in a bad way unless he folded.

If we call this goes multiway, i am not to concerned about UTG1, limps from EP and then flats a 3-bt, combined with his 83/2 tells us he is an idiot. We will be IP with a good holding, and can comfortabley call a lot of flops even when we don't pair up or flop a draw because villain is known to c-bet at a very high frequency.

Flatting also minimizes damage if we see a bad flop and need to fold.

Last edited:
Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Flat call for sure against opponents you describe. Your in position and BB is likely to cbet and UTG is likely to call => great implied odds for when you hit an A or K (~ 1/3 of the time).

If you hit the flop well you can just shove and get it in with way better odds then 4 betting preflop.

4 betting is ofc also +EV but would guess that in this specific situation is is more +EV to just call.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since folding is out what would the reason for 4 betting be? Build the pot? Drive better hands out? Take control of the hand? I don't think any of these reasons apply AND calling closes the action. If Hero 4-bets preflop to $0.75 he will only have $1.50 behind. If called or raised, he is racing at best.

If Hero calls he sees the flop for $0.16 to win $0.59 and is in position. As far as fit or fold goes, I am afraid your opponents have made that the play. After the call there is $0.75 in the pot and Hero has $1.99 left. If BB raises $0.40 and UTG calls can Hero float leaving him with a less than pot size bet left? Hero is looking to raise call AI any A or K on the flop.

I think it is a clear call pre, fold to a bet if no A or K flops, and raise, re-raise AI if one does.

M

micromoi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
4bet is the right play for me u need to know where u stand there u isolate the fish or u get re-poped back by the reg and it's a fold.

S

SacredCow

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Under normal circumstances this would be perfectly ok to 4bet from the c/o.And now you have added incentives to 4bet given the extra dead money from utg and the fact we are vs a known light 3bettor.Calling is my least favorite option as we just encourage a 3 way pot and don't take advantage of our fold equity.And i think both 4betting options are valid options although i prefer to 4bet to around .85 over a 4bet shove.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see need to have fold equity, on the contrary keeping them in the hand seems just perfect. First fish yeah, but secondary the expected range of BB has a selection of Ax.

4bet / fold is a plan I don't see merit in this case. I'm happy to change my mind if rationalized clearly to me.

Last edited:
S

SacredCow

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There's nothing wrong with picking up 27bb uncontested i just think flatting the 3bet is my least favored option here.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that braveslice just said we have very little/ no fold equity. We are probably going to get called at least once by UTG. Why risk 35ish BB to win 26? Doesn't work out in the long run.

S

SacredCow

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Utg's range is incredibly weak so you have tons of fold equity vs that range.I'm a little unsure whether shoving is better than 4betting smaller but i do think it's a very easy 4bet.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would 4 bet shove here.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I meant that 4bet /folding is not a good line. If we 4bet we should go atw, we don't really want to turn this strong hand to a bluff, so if we plan to fold we should only call. Also we don't want the fish to fold his wider range. I don't mind 4betting it's ok, but it kinda takes away our position and range advantage also the skill volume against fish is greatly reduced because of spr thus this would be my line more likely if I felt I don't know what kind of players they are / or if they maybe are more skillful than me, EV+ line I'm sure.

Last edited:
S

SacredCow

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
4bet folding would be terrible it's not even a consideration,it's pure value knowing if they shove then AK does ok vs their ranges equity wise.And i don't expect utg to ever shove if we 4bet so it's vs the bb and his 3betting range is wide given op's read.I just don't like flatting and enticing a 3 way pot especially given the situation and the added dead money.If it were hu vs bb i can see much more merit in slow playing AK vs that wider range though especially ip.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
4-bet shove.

I'm looking to get it in preflop. You may very well have the best hand preflop.

The only reason to flat is to trap. Flatting and folding on the flop is a huge mistake - generally.

You will be very happy with the results most of the time.

The rest of the time you will rue this advice and wonder what I was thinking.

Savage the table and make them fear you. Even if you do lose the hand after shoving - they will see your all-in hand and remember it the next time they tangle up with you.

Good luck !

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
.... I don't mind 4betting it's ok, but it kinda takes away our position and range advantage also the skill volume against fish is greatly reduced because of spr thus this would be my line more likely if I felt I don't know what kind of players they are / or if they maybe are more skillful than me, EV+ line I'm sure.

I am with braveslice on this 4 bet is +EV but in this situation calling is the more + EV line in the long run.

B

Bullseye187

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You are getting fantastic odds to call and you can get away from the pot if they show strength on the flop when you miss.

All in simply takes away their bluffs. When the BB calls you are almost always f****d.

With a small 4bet you keep a lot of their weaker hands in and you can easily stack hands like AQs when an ace comes out on the flop.

I am probably 4 betting to try and avoid a multiway pot where the fish can show up with 97s on a A 9 7 flop. If the BB 5 bets all in you are probably screwed but can't really fold so I can see merit in calling.

777alex777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
UTG-fish, BB-agro 3bet. Play push and do not invent difficulties