€2 NLHE 6-max: bet sizing river

J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Replay this hand on CardsChat

I wanted to target his hands that lacked SDV on the river and felt a smaller bet sizing would do the job. should i have bet 1/4 pot?
Is my play +EV in the long run.
Thankyou in advance.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The call in preflop is standard, you get the acceptable price to call, and the suitable middle connectors are part of your defensive range from BB. Nonetheless, the villain has a clear rank advantage from UTG. And the BU should have a strong picture too, so our preflop call was purely speculative, due to the price we got.
On the flop we have a tough situation. The villain makes a large bet and then BU folds. At this point, it is necessary to remember that the V has a very big advantage over us. However we have decided to call.
Honestly our implied odds of improving are really low, because if V does this to us with overpairs, we're not in good shape here.
Also if V has blockers of heart (Ah-Kh-Qh) we will really get little fold equity if we decide to continue, because it will be more difficult for us to make villain believe that we have played a set slow. Especially when the turn brings a street of heart.
On the other hand, our range is quite capped and therefore we have a lot of dominated draw combos, like 78s for example.
So, the only reason I can find possible to call OTF, is if we believe that our opponent has in his range, hands like: ATs; KTs; QTs without hearts and we perceive that V is weak and he will give up on many turns and rivers.
Obviously this will involve being prepared for a lot of action and playing aggressively on the turn and river.
But this prospect is very unlikely to consider. Because if we are in a flip OTF situation, we should try to steal the pot now and not wait for the next fairways. Since the villain could improve, because even his semi bluffs are also better than ours, due to his UTG opening position.
For all that has been said, I think that the most prudent play is the fold on the flop, if we don't want to play aggressively on all streets.
Greetings.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have played this hand exactly the way you did. Calling from the BB seems logical to me when we have a hand like 87 suited. The flop comes and brings us a straight draw but our straight draw has only 6 outs and not 8 due to the hearts. However, when villain bets as large as they do I read it as they dont have 2 hearts often. It seems like more of a protection bet to me that they want to deter others from drawing. With this in mind I would then have my mindset as if I hit the straight Im ahead, if the flush comes in I can rep it (problem is this is .01/.02 so maybe we cant get as many folds as we think). The flush comes in on the turn and you check as you should and villain checks behind. This would lean me towards villain does not have the flush (as I also thought on the flop) and now going to the river I will be leading a lot here to rep the hearts. Your bet sizing on the river I think is perfect as it looks valuey but villain called your bluff.

To me you played this hand well and realized after the flop you might have more than just the straight to win this hand. Villain I think also played this hand well and realized on the turn I should just be bluff catching on the river or if checked to me can make a small value bet. To me, well played from both you and UTG villain.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check raise semibluff on the flop.

J

johnmaltz19

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If lack of showdown value means beating his hands, sizing is a lot less important. I think you should pay attention to your opponent if he is a complete fish you could even pot it or overbet you will be surprised when he calls with second pair or top pair with weak kicker.

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy fold on flop for me.
Villain made decent bet. Most times he has a made hand. To be break even you have to win 30% times. You have 8 outs, so you have equity about 17%.