$2 NLHE 6-max: AJs Multi-way. Villains range on river?

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 5 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG: $7.51 (376 bb)
CO: $5.23 (262 bb)
BU (Hero): $6.38 (319 bb)
SB: $1.47 (74 bb)
BB: $1.00 (50 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with A J
2 players fold, Hero raises to $0.06, SB calls $0.05, BB calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.18) 2 A 7 (3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.09, SB calls $0.09, BB folds

Turn: ($0.36) 9 (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $0.22, SB calls $0.22

River: ($0.80) K (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $0.51, SB calls $0.51

On the river I had put villains range on basically Ax or broken draw. What do you think about the line? I am wondering... at what frequencies do we give to an average player for slow playing 2-pairs and sets? I almost checked the river but I thought to myself don't be a chicken your missing out on good value if you check this river

J

J_Slice

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop seems fine.

On the flop I think cbetting is good here however I would go more towards full pot. You mention good value and I think this is where you will find it, especially at these stakes. Villains seem fishy with short stacks so are more apt to make calling mistakes typically. I want to charge their flush draws as much as possible and I don't think they fold an ace hardly ever and I beat a lot of their weaker ones. They also likely continue with many pocket pairs or 7's.

On the turn as played I think the sizing is better although I would go bigger for the same reasons as above. Villain continues with a lot less of his flush draws after having missed the turn. An ace is more likely now though I think we still beat a lot of the ones he may have. If we get check raised we'll have to consider how often Villain may do this with a missed flush draw and what our pot odds to call are.

On the river as played I think betting is fine but may elect to go smaller here. If Villain has a weak ace and has faced two bets and now a third he may be more inclined to fold versus a larger bet. Half pot or smaller may be a bet he is more willing to call though.

Interesting hand and I look forward to what others have to say, thank you for posting!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, your line is fine, but I might go for a slightly smaller sizing on the river to get called by a wider range. Even though I am not so worried about being outkicked here, you do lose to hands like A9, A7 or A2, so you need him to call you down with hands as bad as say A5. Which ok some fish will do that, but others might actually be able to find a fold, if you use very large sizing. He could also have a hand like KQ/KJ/KT of spades, that missed its flush but backed into second pair, and that kind of hand might also be more likely to call a small river bet as opposed to a big one.