$2 NLHE 6-max: Is this a call or a fold on the turn?

J

JackOscar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess raising on the flop when you get donked out on would also have been a possibility, so would you consider calling or raising there?
When the turn comes a blank and we face another sizeable bet can we call or is this just a fold? I figured I was getting good implied odds if an ace hit the board since he might have AJ or AT here, but the ace of hearts or 9 of hearts could also put me in a reverse implied odds type of situation if he's betting 2 hearts so maybe it isn't such a favorable spot to call.

Is raising on the turn also viable considering he's very likely to have a missed draw himself? If I had any part of the board I might've called his all in even since it seems pretty bluff-ish, but since he could very well be bluffing with Ah in his hand here that didn't seem like an option in this hand.

888Poker Snap, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

JackOscar95 (UTG): $3.79 (190 bb)
mligor777 (MP): $2.08 (104 bb)
arahna64 (CO): $1.95 (98 bb)
Egesekundno (BU): $2.00 (100 bb)
sellphish (SB): $2.06 (103 bb)
KROHN_MM (BB): $2.67 (134 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero (JackOscar95) is UTG with K Q
JackOscar95 (UTG) raises to $0.06, 4 players fold, KROHN_MM (BB) calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.13) 2 J T (2 players)
KROHN_MM (BB) bets $0.08, JackOscar95 (UTG) calls $0.08

Turn: ($0.29) 7 (2 players)
KROHN_MM (BB) bets $0.19, JackOscar95 (UTG) calls $0.19

River: ($0.67) 2 (2 players)
KROHN_MM (BB) bets $2.34 (all-in), JackOscar95 (UTG) folds

Total pot: $0.67 (Rake: $0.04)
KROHN_MM (BB) wins $0.63

JimmyBrizzy

JimmyBrizzy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I honestly don't mind the way you played it and your thought process. I also don't mind raising the flop to try and take it away, but it usually depends on my reads on the villain to some extent.

The flop would seem to connect with a lot of his range (89's, Jx, possible flush draws). If we raise the flop I think he's calling a lot of the time so we have to be prepared to fire off another bet on the turn and possibly river when they blank.

I'm interested to hear what others think

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I guess raising on the flop when you get donked out on would also have been a possibility, so would you consider calling or raising there?
When the turn comes a blank and we face another sizeable bet can we call or is this just a fold? I figured I was getting good implied odds if an ace hit the board since he might have AJ or AT here, but the ace of hearts or 9 of hearts could also put me in a reverse implied odds type of situation if he's betting 2 hearts so maybe it isn't such a favorable spot to call.

Is raising on the turn also viable considering he's very likely to have a missed draw himself? If I had any part of the board I might've called his all in even since it seems pretty bluff-ish, but since he could very well be bluffing with Ah in his hand here that didn't seem like an option in this hand.

888Poker Snap, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

JackOscar95 (UTG): $3.79 (190 bb)
mligor777 (MP): $2.08 (104 bb)
arahna64 (CO): $1.95 (98 bb)
Egesekundno (BU): $2.00 (100 bb)
sellphish (SB): $2.06 (103 bb)
KROHN_MM (BB): $2.67 (134 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero (JackOscar95) is UTG with K Q
JackOscar95 (UTG) raises to $0.06, 4 players fold, KROHN_MM (BB) calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.13) 2 J T (2 players)
KROHN_MM (BB) bets $0.08, JackOscar95 (UTG) calls $0.08

Turn: ($0.29) 7 (2 players)
KROHN_MM (BB) bets $0.19, JackOscar95 (UTG) calls $0.19

River: ($0.67) 2 (2 players)
KROHN_MM (BB) bets $2.34 (all-in), JackOscar95 (UTG) folds

Total pot: $0.67 (Rake: $0.04)
KROHN_MM (BB) wins $0.63

OTT the best options seems to be either raising for bluff, since we have equity for rivers to come, or we are folding immediately.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing your OESD more passively by just calling flop and turn is fine. You have position, so will be sure to get paid if you hit.

E

ev10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Calling turn and river

I think the flop call was perfect as it has good implied odds and villains bet was already fairly large so raising would bloat the pot and getting 3 bet would be bad for us as it would lower our implied odds or even make us have to fold. We also have position which makes the hand a lot easier to play and gives us fold equity on the turn (if villain checks).

On the turn when villain leads again our implied odds are quite a bit lower, we would need the villain to call about a pot sized bet on the river to break even here, but considering theirs a flush draw on the board and Ah or 9h might make it harder for us to get value or even worse we may be beat. I think the turn call is still +EV but a raise on the turn would work better as it would give us some extra fold equity and it would ensure we got paid off as we could more easily jam the river when we get there.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard open and standard sizing.

Flop
Interesting spot facing a donk bet. You have a very strong hand with an OESD with two overs and a BDFD as well. Folding is obviously totally out of the question, so its only between raising and calling, and I think, both options have merits. We probably dont have reads here, since its SNAP poker, so I am ok to take the more pot controlling option and just call him. At 2NL there is probably not all that much fold equity, and a little bit of caution is warrented, since we will now and then be way behind to a set or two pair.

Turn
Especially in position your hand is definitely strong enough to call once again. As I already said, you dont just have an OESD here, you also have two overs, and sometimes you even have the best hand already, if he is semibluffing with a hand like Q9 or 5h4h.

River
Obviously nothing to do now other than give up. Hero calling his overbet jam with K high would be spew, since he might even be bluffing with a better hand like AhXh, which missed its flush draw.

Folding in Poker