$2 NL HE 6-max: Zooom - top pair + flush draw - fold again overbet at turn?

S

Samweis3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.01/$.02
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
VP$IP
Currency
$
Hello com,

Here was a spot which was tough for me to decide.

Questions as usual:

Any improvements on bet sidings?
To call or not to call?

I had no specific information on this player as I play zoom and do not have history with him. VPIP is at 28, so not too tight preflop.

I put him on 1010+

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard open.

Flop
I would imagine, that solvers prefer a smaller bet here. But in a 2NL game it cant be that bad to go a bit larger, when you are betting for value.

Turn
Interesting turn card since it gives you a flushdraw, in case you are behind, but it also complete 65, which is one of his potential draws. With a VPIP of 28 I would imagine, he dont call preflop with 65o, so it should really only be 65s, and therefore I think, its fine to bet for value again. With the flushdraw you can even call a normal raise. However he does not make a normal raise. He moves all-in, which is an overbet of $1,52 into a pot of $0,67, so more than 2 times the size of the pot.

I will go with, what I have written in several other threads, that a big bet (or raise) on the late streets is usually skewed towards value in the micros. I dont think, there is much of a chance this guy is ever bluffing. Its far more likely, he panicked a bit, when he saw another diamond and wants to protect his hand. And I dont think, the hands, he is trying to protect, is just top pair with a worse kicker than yours. You are almost always behind, and unfortunately you are not getting the right odds to draw. So for me this is a sad fold.

S

Samweis3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Just one more question out of curiosity:
56o is in his calling range pre flop against 2,5BB open raise from HJ (6 max!)?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just one more question out of curiosity:
56o is in his calling range pre flop against 2,5BB open raise from HJ (6 max!)?
No it should not be, which is why, I am not so worried about 65 coming in on the turn. He could flat with 65s though. And of course, given that its 2NL, anything is possible ;)

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello com,

Here was a spot which was tough for me to decide.

Questions as usual:

Any improvements on bet sidings?
To call or not to call?

I had no specific information on this player as I play zoom and do not have history with him. VPIP is at 28, so not too tight preflop.

I put him on 1010+
Preflop isn't a standard open, per se: we can open all of the suited aces when the table is easy, and in this case it is only standard because there is a broken stack sitting in position. But this is not enough, because we don't to play too much out of position in a game where when we miss flop we cannot try to bluff our opponent in a decent level, so considering that we can fold many of weak suited aces from EP (Lojack?) when it comes to. And by that we can fold A6s-A9s quite a fair chunk of times.
The situation would be standard if there were decent players sitting in front of you and one or two broken stacks sitting in the blinds: we open to try to play in position versus weak players. In this case we assume we are playing versus a weaker player (because of its broken stack) but we do not have position, which isn't good.
And as the hand had demonstrated, the broken stacked player called in position, most likely a calling station where no GTO no way of intelligent poker will work in order to bluff it out of the pot when we miss: and we are going to miss this flop a lot. When we hit even with a top pair we are not happy, because we have no idea what this player is calling with.
As played, I like your c-bet on the flop and your turn bet could a little bit larger, because when we own the nut flush draw, instead we own AA, KK, QQ, 88, 77, 44, 22, 87s (?) we do not want to give excellent odds to our opponent. In this case betting small on the turn allowed you to fold to a preposterous turn shove.

Full Flush Poker Folding in Poker