$2 NL HE 6-max: Raised on turn, bluff catching with QQ?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.01/$.02
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
More 2NL Zoom madness.

pokerstars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: $2.07 (104 bb)
MP: $4.47 (224 bb)
CO (Hero): $1.90 (95 bb)

BU: $0.86 (43 bb)
SB: $0.71 (36 bb)
BB: $2.08 (104 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with Q Q
1 fold, MP raises to $0.06, Hero 3-bets to $0.12, 3 players fold, MP calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.27) 8 4 J (2 players)
MP checks, Hero bets $0.13, MP calls $0.13

Turn: ($0.53) T (2 players)
MP checks, Hero bets $0.30, MP raises to $0.86, Hero calls $0.56

River:
($2.25) 3 (2 players)
MP checks, Hero bets $0.02 ???

Would you call the turn bet here?

On the river, I actually meant to bet more than 0.02. It was a misclick.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
More 2NL Zoom madness.

PokerStars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players

1 fold, MP raises to $0.06, Hero 3-bets to $0.12, 3 players fold, MP calls $0.06

River:
($2.25) 3 (2 players)

Preflop I think you could’ve done a larger sizing, something like 9 BB for example. Your mini-3-bet is kinda fishy and suspicious, besides it gives good odds for the players in the blinds to call.
Your c-bet flop is fine, you could’ve bet more on less here since the board isn’t that connected, and you are blocking most of possible straights for this board texture:
Rule of thumb: versus fishes bet as much as you think they will call and versus regulars bet 1/3 pot or even 1/4 pot for there’s nothing to worry on this specific board texture, i.e, most connected the board higher the c-bet and most dryer less the c-bet depending on villain’s profile (recreational or regular).
OTT we can bet a little bit more for we have none of the combos of spades, so we are charging his back door flushes, straight draws and Jx that might continue here in spite of your sizing.
When villain raises we have two options: either we fold because we believe our hand is losing or we jam expecting to get called for the aforementioned hands/combos. There’s no point going to the river with so small SPR, and in spite of another spade, 9x, Kx, Ax and even another Qx, that could come on the river, I think we are going up the country.
As played I think you should’ve jammed river, since you haven’t jammed turn.
Nice hand.

martinoni

martinoni

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If I think that it wasn't a missclick, then I think I would shove against this turn bet.

subluchuk

subluchuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
More 2NL Zoom madness.

River:
($2.25) 3 (2 players)

At first your 3 bet pre is too small.Way too small.Should be something like 0,22.On turn i would prefer raising,in case you sized up your pre flop 3 bet even all in is ok.After him checking river i would clearly jam.Looks to me like some kind of draw he s sitting on.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You are correct. But why would he call if he just has a draw?
Could be draw with pair e.g AJss.

There is plenty you lose to on the turn so I think it's actually pretty close, your small 3bet size means he could have all sorts, e.g. JT, T8, Q9 etc. If you are going to call down on rivers then it probably makes sense to shove unless you think he will fire his missed draws on the river.

Barthjolomeu

Barthjolomeu

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
More 2NL Zoom madness.

River:
($2.25) 3 (2 players)

Preflop i make bigger, 0.18 IP and 0.24 OOP. Flop i make bigger too, cause i wouldnt cbet 100% freq in this flop, so i would made 0.18. And turn, without info, this T is good for his range, and prob he doesnt have enough bluffs, the question is: Is he x/r turn for value with hands worst than QQ?? Without info i dont think so, so i would fold if playing my A game XD. One more thing, u are blocking his more obv bluff candidate ----> KQs, so i prefer to call AJ than QQ in this spot on the turn.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Could be draw with pair e.g AJss.

There is plenty you lose to on the turn so I think it's actually pretty close, your small 3bet size means he could have all sorts, e.g. JT, T8, Q9 etc. If you are going to call down on rivers then it probably makes sense to shove unless you think he will fire his missed draws on the river.
I hoped he would fire something, but I think I scared him off with my 0.02 bet and he just called. It was QJs.

And yes, I do need to adjust my 3betting sizing.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I hoped he would fire something, but I think I scared him off with my 0.02 bet and he just called. It was QJs.

And yes, I do need to adjust my 3betting sizing.
QJs makes sense for a fish to raise! Obviously it should never be raised as it's not strong enough but at 2NL you will see alot of bad plays like this.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You are correct. But why would he call if he just has a draw?
Because you are playing NLHE 2, full of nonsensical fishes and fat whales, who use to do whatever they imagine is a good move.
If you were playing at least NLHE 16 I would expect something better.
Thanks for posting and try to adjust your 3-bet sizing :LOL:

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
combo draws like AJs for example
Yes, Station Master had suggested that. I think when I asked the question, I did not consider AJs to be a draw given that it is already a pair of jacks. To me a draw is like you have no made hand at all and rely on just the draw to be completed for your equity. But now I know better.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
As others have said, your 3-bet is to small. You want to choose a sizing, which puts a lot of his range in a tough spot and gives you fold equity, when you are bluffing. The purpose of a 3-bet is not just to massage the pot larger. Even if he call you with a hand like A3 or K9, he is not making a mathematical mistake, when you give him better than 3:1.

Flop
Standard spot to C-bet for value.

Turn
Another Baluga-Whale spot. This one I think is much closer than the other one, you posted. His raise is not all-in, and its also a 3-bet pot, which makes the SPR a bit more shallow. You also block one of the straights, that just got there (Q9), and both straights were only gutshots making it less likely, they called on the flop. Finally you unblock top pair, and the J is not a spade, so he can have hands like AJ, KJ or QJ of spades, which many players get confused with, because they now have a flushdraw as well as top pair.

With an overpair you also have 8 outs against two pair, so you are not drawing completely dead, if he has a hand like JT, that just got there. So all in all I do think, its ok to continue here. The question then is call or jam, and since a call puts more than half the effective stack in the middle, I kind of lean towards a jam. I dont think anyone at 2NL can raise top pair for value on the turn and then fold to a jam. And if he has some kind of draw, he is probably not putting in more chips on the river, unless he gets there, so by just calling you are basically giving him a free card to draw out on you.

The reason to just call would be, that you intent to fold to a river jam. But in this situation you will be getting better than 4:1 on a river jam, and I dont think, we can completely rule out, that he might have a worse hand like AJ or KJ and jam the river for value. So if you call here, you kind of have to call on at least a brick river. And then I think, its better overall to just get it in now. It would not be crazy to just fold either, especially against a more nitty opponent, if you had any kind of read or HUD-data.

River
River is a complete brick, and for that reason it would be weird for him to check with two pair or better after raising the turn. So I think, you have the best hand a lot, and with only 79c behind and a pot of 2,25$ I would jam for value and hope to get called by mainly top pair. If he has some sort of busted draw like A9 of spades, he is not calling any bet, so against that part of his range your size dont matter.