$2 NL HE 6-max: GG Poker - Which range do you put the player?

S

Samweis3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.01/$.02
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
VP$IP
Currency
$

Please comment on preflop action before you move on to the flop. What do you think about my 3 bet size? What do you do about the 4bet?

Do you lead the flop and what is your size on this specific board?

I was happy about my all in to be honest.
I gave him TT, JJ or QQ, or even KK.

Looking forward to feedback as this was my most negative hand played in 2024 so far.

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I'm not a great cash player, so take my comment with caution. 😛

Preflop:
Since your OOP, I'd go bigger with the 3-bet about 4x.

I'm not happy to call a 4-bet OOP since most times you'll miss the flop but you can't fold here and I wouldn't 5-bet AKo, personally.

Flop:
Ofc a great flop for you but since he was the pre-flop aggressor, I would not lead here and I would expect him to bet.

When he raise you, we should erase all the PPs from his range since both of your ranges contain a lot of Ax, so he'll not risk his stack with an underpair. I also don't think he'd 4-bet 77 or 88.

I'd also go all-in here as he might also play the same with AJ, AQ or another AK. 🤔

Result:
Just another cooler. I don't think you made a big mistake here.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
This is a nothing hand. He hit his two pair. You still had outs. You could have done better by letting him lead out. Maybe you might have found an exploitative fold based on his betting action, but very likely you would end up all in by the river.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
In general I would just 5bet all-in in these positions. However at 2NL many players will only 4bet for value, in which case you need to be careful and just call or even fold (depending on reads you have on the player).

On the flop you should just check and then call or raise depending on size. As played I would call the raise rather than shove, but still looking to stack off unless the runout is horrendous.

As said above a bit of a cooler and not a hand I would get too upset with.

Obviously now you know how wide he 4bets this hand is a clear 5bet shove if the spot comes up again v this villain

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Out of position I would go 4X so slightly larger with your 3-bet. Often getting 4-bet is a bit troublesome with AK in a cash game. But here its BTN vs. SB, so I would definitly not fold to someone, who seem to be a bit loose. I assume 28 is his VPIP from the GG Poker HUD. And playing AK OOP in a 4-bet pot is never that much fun, so I would just jam and be done. Occationally you might get him to fold something, and if you get it in against QQ or JJ, you are only a slight underdog.

Flop
Dont see any reason to lead in a 4-bet pot. If he check back, you can get your value on the turn and river. As played, when he raise, I dont see, how you can get away from the hand. And I also dont see much point is just calling and delaying the decision to the turn. Or possibly allow him to check back turn with a spade draw. A lot of the time he will have another AK, and you will end up chopping.

Results
Obviously a pretty bad result for you. But if his 4-betting range is wide enough to include hands like A8s or A7s, then 5-bet jamming preflop becomes much more profitable.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Please comment on preflop action before you move on to the flop. What do you think about my 3 bet size? What do you do about the 4bet?

Do you lead the flop and what is your size on this specific board?

I was happy about my all in to be honest.
I gave him TT, JJ or QQ, or even KK.

Looking forward to feedback as this was my most negative hand played in 2024 so far.
Preflop our 3-bet sizing is good. But if we go for 3.7x, 3.8x instead of 3.2x as we elected, it might be even better. About the 4-bet is a little bit high, villain goes for 2.75x versus our 3-bet and this is a large number, but we cannot simply fold considering our total hole cards.
I do not lead this flop because although I have AKo, I might be behind to a couple of AA combos. If I had AA and KK would I have called the 4-bet or made a 5-bet/shove instead? Think about it.
When we lead this flop we are expecting villain to be holding AQ, AJ, AT and lesser. If villain has KK it would be hard to continue and KK isn't raising flop on a 4-bet pot. When we lead we are getting a lot of folds and only getting actions of hands that have us beat.
You assigned villain TT, JJ, QQ or KK but most of players at the micros aren't 4-betting with TT, JJ and QQ for example.
Considering position (SB x BU) it is a great risky to put a 4-bet with KK and AA because opponent can fold a lot to it.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre: As others have said I would go bigger here with the 3 bet. Villain can be wide here opening on the button and I would not want to give implied odds being out of position for the hand so I think 4x is better here than what we make it. Is it terrible to do what we did? No, its just better to 4x there though or at least 3.5x if we were at higher stakes where the difference between 3.5x and 4x wasnt a few pennies. When we get 4 bet then it comes down to villain reads and what we think of them/what they think of us. I think 5 bet jamming as some of said is fine and I think calling is fine too. I actually lean towards calling here which may not be correct but I know in game thats what I would lean towards.

Flop: I would never ever lead here as played and especially not on this board. Are we ever leading QQ and JJ type pairs here? Nah cause the only stuff that would fold would be what we beat so when we lead here coupled with our preflop activity, we really give away our hand. I know this is 2NL but any thinking villain whatsoever is going to put you on AK here a lot. Then we get raised. We just announced to the world we have AK and we are getting raised... if I dont think villain is playing with me here I really think about if not actually folding. I would have never led to put myself in this spot but what do we think villain has here? They dont have KQ of spades and if they dont have that then they have no flush draws. They are not raising here with QQ or KK as that would be suicide (except maybe against players like me?) so what are they raising and again remember we just bet saying we have AK. I think this is a pretty bad spot here to be in where you will be up against it a lot even if it seems like you could rarely be up against it.

Another point I will mention is why are we jamming over villains raise? They have very few spade combos, if any (and I think its more like none) with their preflop action and if they are trying to bluff us here (or thinking they are valuing with AQ), which again I doubt but there is always a maybe, then we should just be calling and let them bluff off the rest on the turn and not give them an escape route. The lead on the flop was bad and the raise all in was bad. The raise all in does not hurt you for this hand but its something to keep in mind on future hands.

C

canbora

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its hard to judge because I'm of two minds. One half of me is screaming to go with GTO and 4 bet all in preflop. The other half was saying, just call. You did, and you hit. Normally you'd be WAY ahead to milk this guy. But he hit his hand, that's all there is to it. He got lucky. He WAY overplayed his rando Ace garbage on the button and he hit.

And I think the reason why you went all in flop was you probably knew he had an Ace rage and he was clearly overplaying his hand and figured you'd get called.