Stakes
$.01/$.02
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
VP$IP
Currency
$
Dear Com,

As part of my training program I want to share one spot per session (400-500 hands).

Here a spot I want to get you comments:
I had no specific reads or notes on this villain. Her had VPIP of 23 at this moment in that session. As he was in the BB I considered him defending the blinds with a range of kXs, Ax, QJ+. Therefor I decided to call having odds of more than 55% as not all of his range provides him 2 over cards.

However the strong c-Bet let me fold and as his range become more strong.

What do you think?

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Dear Com,

As part of my training program I want to share one spot per session (400-500 hands).

Here a spot I want to get you comments:
I had no specific reads or notes on this villain. Her had VPIP of 23 at this moment in that session. As he was in the BB I considered him defending the blinds with a range of kXs, Ax, QJ+. Therefor I decided to call having odds of more than 55% as not all of his range provides him 2 over cards.

However the strong c-Bet let me fold and as his range become more strong.

What do you think?

I think we should’ve folded preflop. SB is a position where players fold too often and call with good hands that aren’t good enough to flat and 3-bet their top range. Consider this is SB x UTG 3-bet, so we assume less then 5% range assigned to villain.
Consider that SB is the worst position by far in any poker table, because SB is out of position against any other player.
When we call a 3-bet here with 22-99 we are expecting a nice and sunny flop that won’t happen quite often. And we do not own the ability to make our opponent fold postflop when we hit semi-draws, for example you get a flop with 456 or 689, it could be good for bluffing with our 77 but even so we open these combos to play easier pots.
It is okay that villain won’t have 88 or a small pocket pair here but it will have 99+ and T9+ almost always.
We must have different ranges for every scenario and not follow range charts that don’t consider the table’s profile.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Solvers probably want you to defend to this 3-bet with 77 at least some percentage of the time. But in a 2NL game and especially a Zoom type game I think, its fine to just fold and move on to the next hand. There is not going to be that much light 3-betting in general and especially not from BB, where people can just call and see a cheap flop.

Flop
As played I dont see, how you can fold now. He probably dont have an 8 in his hand, since he 3-bet, so you still only lose to the same bigger pocket pairs, you also lost to preflop, and he could be C-betting AK/AQ or air. He did use a big sizing, but if you are going to fold to a single bet even on one of the best possible flops (other than flopping a set of course), then I would much rather save some money and fold preflop.

S

Samweis3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Fair point. I also will consider a fold pre-flop next time to avoid this waste of money in the next street.

We should only call it we are confident to call/raise also on turn.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fair point. I also will consider a fold pre-flop next time to avoid this waste of money in the next street.
At least its important to have a plan already, when we call preflop. And if the plan is to strictly setmine, we would ideally want more than 13:1 in implied odds, like you were getting here.
We should only call it we are confident to call/raise also on turn.
From a theoretical standpoint this is actually not true. If you are trying to defend "correctly" to aggression, then you need to have hands, that fold to each additional bet. And 77 could be one of those hands, that call flop but fold to further aggression on the late streets, unless you spike a set of course. On the flop you have a lot of A high, K high etc, which missed the flop, and even facing a full pot sized bet, you are supposed to call 50% of the time. And 77 is almost certainly in the top 50% of your range, since you hardly ever have an 8, and you most likely also dont have AA or KK. So you are making an exploitative fold here, and if you think, the guy is hardly ever bluffing, then why not make the exploitative fold preflop, when you had only invested 5c in the hand.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
As said already, it's ok to fold preflop here. I think the hand is fairly indifferent between call and fold. You have the implied odds to call, hit a set and stack your opponent, but most of the time you will miss and have to fold or be in an uncomfortable spot.

On the flop you are probably meant to defend all pairs on such a dry board but if villain is super tight and only has overpairs here then sure fold, but I would expect AK, AQ to also bet that you beat. I probably call one bet in the absence of other info and hope to see a check or 7 on the turn

Folding in Poker