2/4 six-max - turn and river decisions.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pokerstars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: Bet The Pot)
Villain is 50/10 over a sample of maybe 50 hands when this hand happened. He's not great, but he's not stupid either (even if he's way too lose preflop).

His flop donkbet is surprising, but when people bet into the field like this, I figure there's a pretty good chance he's trying to pump the flop on a draw (everyone and their dog have read Small Stakes Hold 'em by now). I have two overcards and a backdoor nut flush draw, and folding is out of the question on the flop, when I'm offered 9:1.

The turn is trickier. Here, I'm only getting 5:1, but now I have an inside straight draw to go with my overcards. If I'm behind, I have at the most 10 outs, and at worst I have 3. It's a dubious call, but there's still a chance that he's betting a draw, and I'm factoring that in.

Why do I call with ace high on the river? Well, here's the thing: What hands did he bet the flop with that he will bet the river with? Would he really bet a hand like 8-7 after I've called two streets? Shouldn't he be checking his mediocre hands on this river, to induce a bluff? So I thought about it for two seconds, decided that he either has a very strong hand (flopped set or two pair) or he's firing the third barrel hoping that I'll fold ace-high.

Being offered 8:1, I just had to decide if the likelyhood of him having nothing but a busted draw was greater than or equal to 1/9 = 11%. I figured it was.

I'm posting this per my promise to myself to post more hands where I find that I stop to think about a decision. The outcome is not important, but the thought process is.

Preflop: Hero is Button with [Ad], [Qc].
1 fold, MP calls, 1 fold, Hero raises, SB calls, BB calls, MP calls.

Flop: (8 SB) [5c], [7d], [10d] (4 players)
SB bets, BB folds, MP folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) [Kh] (2 players)
SB bets, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) [4h] (2 players)
SB bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why did you call after the flop?, your obviously beat

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop - standard.

Flop - standard. I initially thought about a raise being worth it here but a free card play on the turn could do more harm than good, and we don't want to pump the pot with a nothing hand (especially if we will feel compelled to call a 3-bet). So the call is ok.

Turn - I have no real idea about shorthanded limit, but this looks like a fold to me. We have no hand no draw, SB's vpip% is large so his range is accordingly large (and thus difficult to predict, there's no way we can put him on anything with any reasonable degree of certainty), and he's led on two streets, showing no signs of weakness. Without an 'overplays draws OOP' read I fold here.

River - given that you've come this far, the call is fine. Quick question though, what are you doing on the river if say the 3d falls and he leads?

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why did you call after the flop?, your obviously beat
Here's why:
I have two overcards and a backdoor nut flush draw, and folding is out of the question on the flop, when I'm offered 9:1.

Turn - I have no real idea about shorthanded limit, but this looks like a fold to me. We have no hand no draw, SB's vpip% is large so his range is accordingly large (and thus difficult to predict, there's no way we can put him on anything with any reasonable degree of certainty), and he's led on two streets, showing no signs of weakness. Without an 'overplays draws OOP' read I fold here.
This is a thin call but pretty standard to me. With the pot odds, I need about 7 outs to make the call, and I think that there's a pretty good chance that I have that, on average. If we also add in the chance that he's betting a draw (which has to be at least decently big) and the fact that I may be scoring multiple bets in implied odds if I hit my straight on the river, I think a call is alright.

River - given that you've come this far, the call is fine. Quick question though, what are you doing on the river if say the 3d falls and he leads?
I think I'd have to fold. I'd be hoping that he's been betting 9-8 all the way down, and that's a pretty slim range.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like I had mentioned to others, I'm new to the forum and relatively new to hold-em(1yr), so I appologize for the stupid question

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like I had mentioned to others, I'm new to the forum and relatively new to hold-em(1yr), so I appologize for the stupid question
Oh, don't feel that way. In fact, if you think I'm right*, then you learned something - and you wouldn't have if you hadn't asked. Any question you learn something from is a good question. :)

Cheers,
Fredrik

* If you don't think I'm right, let me know. I'd be happy to explain why calling this flop is correct.