10nl, boat any good facing huge overshove?

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I'm too late into this, but I'm with Chris on his read of players at this level, though admittedly I think a shove on the turn is the more common spot, but maybe the K scared him from doing so.

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I'm too late into this, but I'm with Chris on his read of players at this level, though admittedly I think a shove on the turn is the more common spot, but maybe the K scared him from doing so.
but how would the K scare him? if anything i think the king is a good card for anyone holding an A

J

JoeDi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I woud have pushed.. This guy unless he is holding AA, AK or KK is toast.. certainly its possible but unlikely.. There is no way this guy sees your pocket 66's coming so you call or shove.. Seems like a tremendous over bet on the river to get a call.. Possible but thats why girls dont play the game!

j/k ladies... figure of speech.. ;)

J

JoeDi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would have pushed or at least called.. Unless he has AA, AK or KK you are good.. There is no way he sees you pocket 66 coming..

S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I make a crying call, and if i'm beat i complain about how badly he played the hand, and move on. As it stands you're probably beaten, but I still call here. It is almost impossible for me, and from what i've seen, anyone else to lay down a boat... no matter the strength.

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty sure this is AQ/AJ enough to call. Your hand is so ridiculously underrepped that villain probably considers trips with a good kicker to be the nuts here. Definitely more combos of AQ/AJ than AK/KK if we think villain will play all 4 hands similarily - tho if that is true then we should be shoving not calling. Preflop range is more weighted towards AK/KK/AA than AJ/AQ however. If villain shoves river then i would be more inclined to fold (worse odds and hand range more polarised towards the nuts) but I call or shove here. If somebody is retarded enough to take this line with the nuts then they are probably retarded enough to do it with trips.

Anyways, these aren't good hands to analyse. You could never fold a boat in your entire life and be the best poker play alive (other than when the board shows trips ofc). Calling here is never a leak - you should be way more concerned with more common spots where you might leak quite a bit.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
let the blood rain down and drip from your skin

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
but how would the K scare him? if anything i think the king is a good card for anyone holding an A

I'm guessing he doesn't hold a Ace. He might hold a K and didn't want to lead out on the turn being afraid of slow played trips, being OOP. Or QQ.

Like feitr says this is a weird and wonderful situation. I run across these kind of plays with an Ace, a King or other pair more often at the $10 levels on smaller European sites than Stars or Tilt.

Given the differences of opinion here, I think the only way to figure out what he had would be to watch him play for another 100 hands and see if he is one of those people that believe slowplaying is the nuts, or if he's one of those players that overbet often at unclaimed pots hoping no one will call.