No Limit
Stakes
$5/$10
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
I have AK on the BB.

It comes around to me at a call and I raise to $65. Only one player calls this.

The flop comes KQ9 rainbow.
Checks to me. I raise to $150.
He calls.
The turn is 8.

Checks to me again. I go all in for $500.

He calls and shows Q10.

Of course the river is a J and get rivered with a straight.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I have AK on the BB.

He calls.
The turn is 8.

He calls and shows Q10.

I think we should've slow down on the turn and if we like to bet on the turn, we bet less. Many combinations got there such as Q9, Q8, 98, JT, etc.
Do you have any doubts?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have AK on the BB.

He calls.
The turn is 8.

He calls and shows Q10.

I'm not sure what you want analyzed in this hand? Might be more suited to bad beat section (although it's not that bad and really we should be super happy to get calls like this so... idk... maybe the 'River section')

C

canbora

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ah yes... the panic bet, as I call it. Fight or flight has been triggered. Everyone does it, but its a huge leak that all of us need to patch. You get a premium hand, you hit, the board is semi-wet and you progressively bet so hard because your hands good-ish, but not great. Next thing ya know, you're all in by the river, if not before and you reaaaaaaaaaally don't even have that good of a hand as per the board.

There's clearly a potential, if not a straight out there. You're basically just giving them chips for free. Again.....ive done this too lol. It seems when I patch one leak, a new one springs up. Like I don't do it with Top top anymore, but then it was overpairs. Then I fix that and its marginal hands that Im out of position with and I just check call down because I have secondary odds like a straight draw, and half my stacks gone by the river because I don't improve and I should have just raised or folded.

Also, I'm assuming there were others in the hand preflop? That's why you raised so hard? To isolate?

Obviously you're villain had no business being in that hand either. They shouldn't have called preflop at all. That's their biggest mistake.

I don't know what the math is on the flop. I get why they called, although I cant say its 100% justified. Look at it from their perspective. They have second pair with the nut straight draw, plus they can improve by hitting a Q or a 10, even though that would spell bad for them potentially as per the board. That's a 40% chance of improvement by the river.

Now, the turn doesn't help them at all. Now that 40% is a 20% chance. But they're still getting 2;1... i think, right? I'm guessing at your pot sizes here. But you also have to remember, that 8 makes your hand worse. So many hands now get there. Why jam? I know why you did it, that's rhetorical.

Grab a bucket of spackle, You have some leaks to repair.

------------

side note: Im personally thinking of adjusting my personal cash game strategy for the more passive players to be passive myself. I'm coming to believe that playing standard and proper to super passive people is a way to win big when you hit, yes, for sure. But as you can see here and as I've known myself, you give it right back. I'm thinkin..........maybe its best to just call here. And on the flop either check call, or bet small, like 1/3 pot. Especially with that board.

Y

Youvraj365

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MU
Chips
That was a good way of playing but the river flood you with a straight and you lost.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seems like this is mostly a bad beat story? Also what kind of game was this? Live cash or play money?

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have no problem with the way you played the hand. I understand the people saying slow down and bet smaller and all that, but it wouldn't have accomplished a whole lot in this one hand. It would be near impossible to find a fold on the river anyway considering you'd have most of your stack in the pot even with smaller bets. I feel like they're giving more of a tournament strategy answer than anything. In a cash game, you get them bad boys in the middle when you have the best of it and hope the dealer cooperates.