$100 NLHE 6-max: Wild flop action in 3 bet pot. Stack off fine here?

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting hand. Thoughts on pre? His 3 bet sizing was so lol I don't think there's any way I can find a fold going 3 ways with position and closing the action. Small suited one gapper is definitely bottom of the range but folding seems criminal. 4 betting when BB flats there with action behind also seems suicidal with no blockers and the bottom of my range.

Flop? I figured I'm ahead of a larger naked flush draw (60/40) and also slightly ahead of over pairs with one club blocker (55/45) which should be a lot of their ranges. If someone has 65 that we partially block we can still draw to a chop, a flush, or a running boat.

PokerStars - $1 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 94.8 BB
SB: 87.33 BB
BB: 243.13 BB
UTG: 122.71 BB
MP: 108.32 BB
Hero (CO): 97.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 5 7

fold, fold, Hero raises to 2.5 BB, fold, SB raises to 4 BB, BB calls 3 BB, Hero calls 1.5 BB

Flop: (12 BB, 3 players) 7 3 4
SB bets 11.4 BB, BB calls 11.4 BB, Hero raises to 40 BB, SB raises to 83.33 BB and is all-in, BB raises to 126.66 BB, Hero calls 53.5 BB and is all-in

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We're honestly not in the best shape when we call this min raise against SB's depolarized range. If you think the blinds are players who are not going to fold often enough when you to 4-bet pre, I agree to call here. Otherwise he would try to knock down BB with a polarized 4-bet, as he is leaving dead money in the pot. Obviously if someone 5-bet, I fold.
As I played I like the call more in this texture. Even though we blocked the nut combos 25%, I would not play fast with top set here, because our opponents have little fold equity. If we 4-bet pre and they called us, I agree to jam OTF. But in this scenario I am calling 80% of the time and evaluating my actions according to the turn street.
Greetings.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is absolutely fine. When I look at this hand I think SB is nutty. Some players like to bet small like this when they have the nuts because they are afraid (I guess) others will fold. It also could be that they are someone who just never calls in the SB and either has to raise or fold. You have to call pre as you say closing the action and at that price with a hand that can flop well and be disguised. I dont like 4 betting there as what does it accomplish since I really doubt you will get a lot of folds unless you go big and if you go big and are up against it here you are just donating chips. Calling and seeing the flop seems best imo.

On the flop I like raising here once the BB calls too. I would be raising with the intention of getting it in. We just arent bad that often as we are ahead of big pairs here and bigger flush draws. The only thing we are losing to is a set or a made straight and we are still roughly 40% in both cases. Like I said I think the SB is strong here without knowing anything else so since I think that and BB has already put in a call, I like raising here with the intention of calling a jam.

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Yea, I don't think anyone can knock you for your play. OTF you have equity/are ahead of some draws. I'd actually be worried about the BB reshove... not really sure what he'd do that with, so it's good that your hand blocks many of his good hands in this spot.

Flop raise is good, so when it comes back to you against 2 players you likely have between 30-40% equity here and you are getting pot odds for that.

I'm assuming you hit the straight flush otr and won... am I right?:smile:

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm assuming you hit the straight flush otr and won... am I right?:smile:
LOL who guesses that the one outer is coming? It did, but still, who guesses that? Didn't even wait for the river. After seeing the hands it looked a lot thinner than I initially thought though. If I oversimplify an EV calc and pretend they both shove flop in front of me then we have about a +15.5 BB EV call. I guess this is why bankroll management is so key because risking 98 BB to win 15 on average seems kind of marginal. Of course we could have ran into some better scenarios where they both had overpairs but it made me second guess how fist pump, high five, I was about getting it in. I'm usually the guy with the over pair here getting stacked.

Turn: (282.33 BB, 3 players) 6

River: (282.33 BB, 3 players) 4

BB shows J J (Two Pair, Jacks and Fours)

Main Pot [261.99 BB]: (Pre 45%, Flop 33%, Turn 0%)
Side Pot#1 [20.34 BB]: (Pre 80%, Flop 49%, Turn 0%)

Hero shows 5 7 (Straight Flush, Seven High)

Main Pot [261.99 BB]: (Pre 17%, Flop 30%, Turn 100%)
Side Pot#1 [20.34 BB]: (Pre 20%, Flop 51%, Turn 100%)

SB shows Q A (Flush, Ace High)

Main Pot [261.99 BB]: (Pre 39%, Flop 38%, Turn 0%)

Hero wins 279.33 BB
Rake paid 3 BB

loafaBREAD

loafaBREAD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
EZ game, baby!

Yea this is a weird spot. If you go from one point of decision to another, everything makes sense- the call pre, the flop raise... once the flop is 3-bet, it might be close- yea, never a 'fist-bump' spot to say the least!

I mean what could we really change here? Could we do a smaller raise on the flop??? Flatting the flop would be tough, too. I really have no idea.