€100 NL HE 6-max: KJo in sb, 1400 bb deep 5-MAX, Villain long monologue before the hand

M

MrBronze

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
LT
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.50/$1
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
VP$IP
PFR
AF
Currency
Villain Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 21/5/3
Hi all, I need you wisdom and experience on this. Apologies in advance about the messy writing.

Situation in the game before the hand:

So we are playing 6-Max cash all night 1$ NL, then one player leaves(so we are 5-Max), another one loses his stack to me(this dude was playing 95%VPIP betting 15bb every hand for at least 1h or more) and goes for a smoke with the Villain.
Also we are playing 72 and the winner gets 5$ from each player. Villain has noticed that I did bluff on a previous hand 120$ (preflop 4 - betting another player) into a 40$ pot to win with 72 which at that time got me only 20$ from other players (5-Max game) and he has commented on this. Mine VPIP maybe was around 18-25% at the table before they left... but before that we had one super loose aggro player who was in every hand raising to 15bb so I could not have been calling him very often

This is important => so approx 25 min later both players return. During that time I win another 100 bb +-. And the table calls me the big winner & I have 1440 bb +-
So the Villain goes into this speech(45s) how he's going to win my stack or part of it.(Sit & Go reg who knows Nash algo very well) and this Monologue is before the cards are delt. And this is the first hand with those two joining our 3-Max so we have a 5-Max again.

The Hand:
I'm in the sb or bb with KJo (1440bb).
Villain: bb or UTG (670bb)

Villain: he either bets 3$ or limps(we had one crazy player who was constantly raising to 15bb the one who lost his stack and went for a smoke)
I from say SB/BB raise to 15$.
Villain calls.

FLOP: 9c10d2s maybe +-(can't remember perfectly)
I bet 20$ or 25$
Villain calls

TURN: 9c10d2s6d (or something similar for the last card)
I bet 30 or 35$ cant remember
Villain calls

River: 9c10d2s6dAd
I bet 40 or maybe 50
Villain raises to 120$
I fold...

After thoughts:
I tank on the river raise and Villain starts talking that I'm taking a long time to think and that I should fold or something in that regard using minimal comments(he is a sint&go reg who played poker professionally for 7 years or so). Over the years there were quite a few cases when he bluffed and got me off a hand in the past, yes I'm good enough to fold sometimes maybe even too often! As well as in some cases** giving commentary/advice for me to fold in some hands where he was not playing in order for me to save $ f.e. "it seems like that guy has a K..." and yes that guy had a K. I don't think this was necessarily the case. Please remember the long monologue how hes going to win money from me. And what his image will be at the table if he loses the first hand....

I also remember similar situation happening in another game where I was betting like 40$ into 100-120 $ pot on the river and he had raised me and then I folded and he showed a bluff.

Now I see that I was betting way too small on the river... because on the flop we already at least had 31$ in the pot so likely the pot before my river bet pot was at least 100 - 135$ +- & I was definitely barreling all three streets.

Questions:
So How often can I raise on the river? I should be easily able to at least raise to 300-500$ maybe even go All in and play for his 670bb stack. I don't think he has a flush... most def did not had the pot odds to call the flop.. maybe he had them on the turn assuming he gets paid of on the River.

Can I ever looking into the commentary before the hand and all the other small nuances you no doubt have noticed just go all in? for 670bb? raise 700$?

He in theory should be able to call me with a flush or straight... maybe a set. My image should have been solid enough for his fold perhaps. I felt like he had 2 pair type of hand but again I need advice on this one. Maybe I should have overbet the river barreling like 200$ ... yes the river bet was idiotically small. Could have been a great blocker bet and then I could have reraised him, will do it next time.

Thanks.

Last edited:
S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If you had Kd maybe you could have reraised river , otherwise it's just a spew (you said you had KJo but committed the key information of your suits!). As you say your sizing was too small, so villain took advantage. His river raise is small too, as though he is just trying to get your bluffs to fold, so a 3bet is viable but he may just call you down if he doesnt believe you (or has a strong hand)

Note I dont think it's necessary to triple off in this spot with KJo.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
sizing is terrible throughout

What are you playing for? $$ ? or is it just a dick swinging contest? (I say this because WHO CARES what the guy said about taking your stack, etc. etc.)

M

MrBronze

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
LT
Chips
Right I think I had a K c J h... so no diamonds. Also flop bet of what 55% pot does not seem too bad? Still I'm certain I should have gone all in with the raise on the river. Also If I'd had the nuts I'd play exactly the same just raise all in after his raise on the river. It would disguise the strength of the hand. And if he just calls I'd lose only 20-30% of extra value not a very big deal...

Last edited:
Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
(VPIP/PFR/AF): 21/5/3
How do you get these stats of a live game?
Villain has noticed that I did bluff on a previous hand
If I got this right, you were bluffing 72...if you are doing this either you are tilted or crazy. 72 is not present on any suitable range.
Besides all of that you have no precise information about the hands, position, flop texture, these things matter a lot.
Mind your own gameplay and have patience.
Take a notebook and a pen or pencil and write notes while you are playing.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Right I think I had a K c J h... so no diamonds. Also flop bet of what 55% pot does not seem too bad? Still I'm certain I should have gone all in with the raise on the river. Also If I'd had the nuts I'd play exactly the same just raise all in after his raise on the river. It would disguise the strength of the hand. And if he just calls I'd lose only 20-30% of extra value not a very big deal...
It's difficult to fully follow the actions. But broadly yes flop size looks ok, turn and river too small. Preflop I cant tell what happened, but huge sizes seem to be the norm.

If you had the nuts you would want to bet turn and river bigger to build a bigger pot, you cant rely on getting raised at the end.

M

MrBronze

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
LT
Chips

If I got this right, you were bluffing 72...if you are doing this either you are tilted or crazy. 72 is not present on any suitable range.
Besides all of that you have no precise information about the hands, position, flop texture, these things matter a lot.
we had one guy at the table rasing each hand to 15bb so you cant really play more pots if you will be raise with any two. and we are quite deep. plus hes a pro so not that unlikely. Also these are approx numbers. And 72 is a game some if you win with it everybody pays u 5 moneys

M

MrBronze

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
LT
Chips
So what would be the likelihood of him calling my all in +500bb for him on the river bet?

M

MrBronze

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
LT
Chips

What about betting the flop? or checking or even perhaps just calling with KJo from sb

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands