$10 NLHE 6-max: A5s : commited to broken flush draw

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyway, per street, I'd: Call pre, call/shove flop, fold turn, check back river.

TheKid84

TheKid84

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and just for the record, the most likely scenario in my opinion is that villain has AK and when i called that turn monster bet, i convinced him that i had the Q. thats the only thing that makes sense here.

I'm not so certain on this.

If you had the Q, you probably wouldn't have called that turn monster bet.

I don't think he's limping with AK to begin with.

My theory (not that its a good one): He maybe had 10's or J's (with a possibility of AJ). If he had 10's or J's I feel like maybe he would have repopped it preflop, hopefully to get the other two to fold. He could have had them, just played them oddly.

I honestly think it was something like AJ or A10, and he was hoping to hit his hand but failed. With these hands, he was acting first to hopefully get you guys to fold and take it down. This hand is quite perplexing to me honestly. Anyway, grats on recognizing his timidness and betting that river, after his weakness check.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not so certain on this.

If you had the Q, you probably wouldn't have called that turn monster bet.

I don't think he's limping with AK to begin with.

My theory (not that its a good one): He maybe had 10's or J's (with a possibility of AJ). If he had 10's or J's I feel like maybe he would have repopped it preflop, hopefully to get the other two to fold. He could have had them, just played them oddly.

I honestly think it was something like AJ or A10, and he was hoping to hit his hand but failed. With these hands, he was acting first to hopefully get you guys to fold and take it down. This hand is quite perplexing to me honestly. Anyway, grats on recognizing his timidness and betting that river, after his weakness check.
your right man. i got confused my bad. truth is i had no clue where he was. got lucky that came out the way it did. some people are just really bad.

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good hand to 3bet pre.

This
10nl you have to bemore agressive, 1st to weed out the guys who call light but fold to a 3bet

And also you may get HU and this is key

you rep a strong hand

Plus you can Cbet that flop light since it does not look very drawy.

On the other side if he 4bets you then you know you're behind and should def be folding.

Calling pre is bad, folding or R/R would have been more efficient

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the way things went,i bet 3.75 and hoped it looked like value. he FOLDED. have no clue what he had.

Very risky, but you calling the turn, when he made such a big bet may have scared him more.

If you played to win, the river bet was perfect. Actually the only way to win in that spot the way the hand played out. But this does not work as often as one would wish it to.

A lot of hero calls in the micros, but well played.

(whats zoom? lol )

Yoshimiii

Yoshimiii

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very risky, but you calling the turn, when he made such a big bet may have scared him more.

If you played to win, the river bet was perfect. Actually the only way to win in that spot the way the hand played out. But this does not work as often as one would wish it to.

A lot of hero calls in the micros, but well played.

(whats zoom? lol )

http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/zoom/

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This
10nl you have to bemore agressive, 1st to weed out the guys who call light but fold to a 3bet

And also you may get HU and this is key

you rep a strong hand

Plus you can Cbet that flop light since it does not look very drawy.

On the other side if he 4bets you then you know you're behind and should def be folding.

Calling pre is bad, folding or R/R would have been more efficient
This line is good, but I don't get why people are so afraid to get in multiway with this hand. A5s is literally the best hand to have multiway, because most of the times you hit you will hit either the nuts or the second-nuts + blocker, and in either case your hand is well-disguised. You will therefore extract massive amounts of $$$ from anyone who hits anything good, up to and including a whole stack or more if they're particularly spazzy.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think this is one of the hands where the importance of POSITION can not be neglected. Position position position.

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^ always goes back to square one, position :)

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really don't see why almost everyone seems to hate 3betting here? We have an EP limper and a LP isolation. Ranges are likely wide. We have blockers, position, and a decent equity hand if we have to see a flop but mostly we're going to get folds.

Maybe we're too agressive
:itsme:

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think this is one of the hands where the importance of POSITION can not be neglected. Position position position.
Well your R is always gonna be better IP than OOP with anything, but really I'd be more than happy to play this hand OOP. Hell being UTG in this board with this hand vs anyone capable of folding is advantageous, because you can donk semibluff, and donking into two people looks insanely strong. So, outside a scenario where you get 3bet and have to reevaluate your implied odds (possibly causing you to dump the hand), you can either win right on the flop or hit the nuts and stack someone when whatever strong hand they have is demoted to second-best.

In fact, I would quite honestly prefer to play A5s to KQo UTG. Any hand that can't improve to a well-disguised monster can run into trouble easily when you're OOP vs everybody.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no KQ dominates far more hands that A5s. more over we arent UTG, we are acting after a limper and an Iso.

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no KQ dominates far more hands that A5s.
When it's offsuited its implied odds are mega-shitty because it can only hit broadway flops, so it's dominated by AK/AQ, broadway draws that miss it and sets. And when you hit and everyone misses they freeze up, so your value-extraction is super limited. Ergo, unless villain is a fish who will dump 3 streets of value on middle pair you're dead in the water with it.

A5s on the other hand can improve to (in order of strength):

-TPWK
-Aces up
-Trips
-Wheel
-Nut flush

TPWK is a super-marginal hand for the same reason any hit to KQo is, but it's a showdown-value hand and a value bet hand versus a lot of fish, which is the same thing that KQo is on a Kxxr/Qxxr board. Aces up is a strong hand which plays extremely well HU and like 2-way, Villain is liable to call with a worse Ace and may even call with like KK/QQ or bottom two etc. depending on board. Trips are marginal, because they're down to 3 outs versus any set. And the only thing that calls besides it is like KK/QQ.

A nut flush on the other hand, so long as the board doesn't pair (which 70% of the time it won't), dominates EVERYTHING. Villain can hit a set, twopair, TPTK, straight, flush, what the **** ever. The only thing they will accomplish is handing you their stack faster. A wheel is more vulnerable as 56 insta-crushes it, but you hold a blocker to the 5 which is why A5 is a better wheel-draw hand than, say, A2.

more over we arent UTG, we are acting after a limper and an Iso.
Well I was directly responding to the above post about position being necessary to play this hand.

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You cant always imply your odds. When you miss? What happens then? All implied odds go strait to hell...

Lets say the turn gave us our nut flush, and the board didnt pair. Now what?
Villian (if he is decent) will more times than not check the flush thus giving up and now we bet he folds.

Implied odds gone^

Lets say he bets the turn, calling would give us the same scenario as before as our hero displayed it. R/R would only give us a fold more times here than not since the chances he has a lower flush are slim, and he is never letting it go in the micros.

So implying odds in this hand is not as great, implied odds work much more for hitting sets, straits, 2 pairs because most players slow down on a draw heavy board.

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You cant always imply your odds. When you miss? What happens then? All implied odds go strait to hell...
You're slightly better than 1 in 10 to hit (and 1 in 5 to flop the draw), and there's plenty of worse hands that you can stack. All sorts of weaker straights, sets, top pairs, flushes, etc. etc. etc. will gladly hand you if not their stack at least a sizable portion of it.

If you miss just whatever. Dump the hand and wait till you hit.

Also if we're up against tough opposition and the turn freezes the action we can semibluff a bunch of non-hits. And sometimes (3.75%) we'll hit the wheel, which is one of the harder hits to see.

And of course a hit will always work much better if villain thinks you're capable of repping the flush.

Last edited:
darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If being underdog works for you then feel free :)

Full Flush Poker