$10 NL HE 6-max: Monster Flop in 3way Pot, Call or Raise?

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.05/$.10
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
Some background first. The two players in this hand with me are both very bad. SB is more of the calling station type and UTG is more the overplay type. Threebetting with junk, betting river with bottom pair, etc. My BOL client isn't working and I don't have hand tracker on the cellphone App so I dunno their VPIP but both have to be well over 50%.

Two hands before this hand, I cleaned out UTG, he had just rebought in and seemed to be tilting. The first hand he played after rebuying, he limped then 3bet the btn and got a fold preflop.

I am on BTN with AcKc. UTG limps. I raise to 41c. SB calls UTG calls. Others fold.

7c8cKh flop.

Before I even could think about how much to bet, UTG leads out with a pot sized bet $1.19 into $1.19. I am pretty sure I am ahead here because he would likely check the flop with anything I am in bad shape against, except maybe two pairs.

I raised it to $3.57 but instantly had second thoughts. SB folded UTG called.

Turn is Qd. He shoved. I instacalled.

On the flop I was just targeting UTG and forgot about SB. With my hand I really am not afraid of much. If I called, SB might tag along. I've seen him make calls with nothing. Might have been able to win more. Against a calling station type on this hand, would you just call the pot sized bet to try to clean out both players? Or would you just go hard after UTG like the way I played it?

Ks3h

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The two players in this hand with me are both very bad. SB is more of the calling station type and UTG is more the overplay type.
This is a perfect scenario: our objective is exactly this, to play in position versus bad players.

I am on BTN with AcKc. UTG limps. I raise to 41c. SB calls UTG calls.

Pretty standard preflop.

7c8cKh flop.
A very good flop that gives us a lot of equity versus any kind of hands, even versus sets.
UTG leads out with a pot sized bet $1.19 into $1.19.
If it was a respectable villain we could be worried but there are draws and dominated kings that could’ve done the same, coming from a bad player.
We have two options here, call or raise, we are never folding this, we need to be right just 1 out of 3 times and we have plenty of implied odds.
I think both calling and raising have their merits. It’s not good to be slow playing at the micros, although we have implied odds for the nut flush, your raise was good because eliminated SB out of the pot.
When UTG calls our raise there’s nothing to worry about: if UTG is holding 77 or 88, good for him/her, we are going anyway! We also don’t expect villain to be holding many KK (top set for this flop), for it had limped into the pot.
Turn is Qd. He shoved. I instacalled.
We couldn’t expect anything better than this: even if we are dominated for just a few combos of sets, we are still drawing to the nut flush on the river.
The hand was well played. Now I haven’t see the results but I’m afraid UTG was either overplaying or overbluffing: if UTG wasn’t doing any of these things, good for him/her, we are never folding here and life goes on! To the next hand and let the chips fall as they may.

Best regards;

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard isolation spot sizing looks good.

Flop
When you have the flushdraw yourself, there are less turn cards, that are bad for you, and its also a little less likely, someone else has a draw. Also when he lead for full pot, he is doing a great job of building the pot for you. So I do lean towards slowplaying here. Not only does it make it a bit easier for SB to come along, but it also allow UTG to continue bluffing or overvaluing his hand on the turn. And of course we dont mind keeping SB in with some dominated hands either.

Turn
A donk-call then donk again line is actually pretty strong, and KQ obviously got there. But even so I dont think, folding is even a consideration here. If you are behind, you at least have equity with your nut flushdraw.

Spoiler
Clear proof poker is not yet dead :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Two hands before this hand, I cleaned out UTG, he had just rebought in and seemed to be tilting. The first hand he played after rebuying, he limped then 3bet the btn and got a fold preflop.
Just want to add, that this is actually very important information. A fish on tilt is the most profitable kind of opponent, we will ever be up against. And its really important to let him think, he still has fold equity, when he might be on some wild bluff. So this information makes me like a flop call even more. Or perhaps a goofy min-raise, which might induce him to come back over the top. But it still worked out for you, so well done :)

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree that just calling on the flop is best. I think we could potentially (although not worried about it) be going against sets here that would lead due to the two clubs but would they lead pot? probably not so here what we want is to keep in the hand all the stuff that is behind us. We have TPTK and the nut flush draw so not worried about much other than a straight card coming and I just dont think there is a lot of that here either. So I am not just calling to keep the third player in (although that is a bonus) but I would call here not to lose my customer and would really be thinking that the odds they double barrel the turn are here are high. Depending on their turn sizing is where then I would make my move to even further sweeten the pot.

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think you played it sweet. You have a head for the guy and as you said his reeling from donking off to you a few hands previous. The raise is a good one as you want to eliminate the SB who could also be drawing or have a peice that improves on a pair in case your flush doesn’t come in he sneaks it from both you guys. UTG has a piece of it but that shove is more to scare you off than get you to pay him.... I’ve just clicked the spoiler.... What was the river? You scoop it?

And micro is crazy, that shove to make you fold I see way too much lol

Last edited: