Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG (Hero): $18.20 (182 bb)
MP: $16.18 (162 bb)
CO: $23.42 (234 bb)
BU: $11.66 (117 bb)
SB: $5.48 (55 bb)
BB: $10.03 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero is UTG with K K
Hero raises to $0.30, MP calls $0.30, CO calls $0.30, 1 fold, SB calls $0.25, 1 fold

Flop: ($1.30) 5 2 3 (4 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $1.24, MP folds, CO calls $1.24, SB folds

Turn: ($3.78) Q (2 players)
Hero bets $2, CO calls $2

River: ($7.78) 3 (2 players)
Hero bets $4.02, CO calls $4.02

Total pot: $15.82 (Rake: $0.71)

Showdown:
UTG (Hero) shows K K (a flush, King high)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 68%, Flop: 48%, Turn: 0%, River: 0%)

CO shows 6 A (a flush, Ace high)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 32%, Flop: 52%, Turn: 100%, River: 100%)

CO wins $15.11

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
First of all, consider a bigger open from UTG if you're getting a lot of calls like this. 3BB is pretty standard but if 2/3 of the table comes along then I feel we need to increase it to better isolate.

On the flop, almost a pot sized bet on a wet board. I would bet 2/3 or 1/2. Yes, you have a possible flush draw with the Kh but it's the second best and your KK really isn't that great on this board to be building up the pot so much.

On the turn you bet about 60% and then 50% on the river. You're effectively betting for your villain at this point. There are straights, flushes, and full houses on the board now and it is highly unlikely that your villain is coming along without at least one of these draws completed for them. I also don't think you would have any decent fold equity here. It looks like you have a calling station that's locked in.

So I would slow down on the turn, check, and then try for the cheapest possible showdown on the river.

A

Ace of Spad3s

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
NL
Chips
I agree with the above about increasing the PF betsizing if they are frequently so much callers on the table, but it could also be a coincidence offcourse. It might be a dead giveaway you have a holding if they pay attention, but since a lot call, they might be oblivious to it anyway.

Postflop:
I think it's a good betsizing on the flop, you're basicly outpricing the draws, but since it completes on the turn and you have a K high draw, i'd suggest checking here and try to get to showdown as cheap as possible. Maybe even folding to serious aggression on the river.

You're leading out on a very wet board with just a single pair. And in the end you payed for it unfortunately. What are you betting the river for for example? On thus board, what will call you down here that you have beat? Maybe an AQ? But that's about it right? Only thing calling is something that has you beat here, so better to check it down, eventhough you got the cowboys...

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
PokerStars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.05/$0.10 - 6 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG (Hero): $18.20 (182 bb)
MP: $16.18 (162 bb)
CO: $23.42 (234 bb)
BU: $11.66 (117 bb)
SB: $5.48 (55 bb)
BB: $10.03 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15) Hero is UTG with K K
Hero raises to $0.30, MP calls $0.30, CO calls $0.30, 1 fold, SB calls $0.25, 1 fold

Flop: ($1.30) 5 2 3 (4 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $1.24, MP folds, CO calls $1.24, SB folds

Turn: ($3.78) Q (2 players)
Hero bets $2, CO calls $2

River: ($7.78) 3 (2 players)
Hero bets $4.02, CO calls $4.02

Total pot: $15.82 (Rake: $0.71)

Showdown:
UTG (Hero) shows K K (a flush, King high)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 68%, Flop: 48%, Turn: 0%, River: 0%)

CO shows 6 A (a flush, Ace high)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 32%, Flop: 52%, Turn: 100%, River: 100%)

CO wins $15.11
You played the hand just fine. If you had information that players call too much preflop you could’ve done a larger sizing, but this is not the problem.
Forget about this hand and keep doing good as you are doing and things will come in proper timing.
Nice hand and keep on grinding!

Best regards;

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nh... pre-flop, increasing the sizing is recommended. Turn, solver approved sizing would be slight over bet here, but your bet is fine. River looks good.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I dont agree with others about going bigger than 3x pre. 3x is fine, 2.5x better, but if you go larger you are going to get more folds unless your opponents are bad. I wouldn't vary preflop raise size so use a size that works well for your whole range 3bb to win 1.5bb is fine.

Flop is fine if a little large. You have to expect lots of nut flush draws to call, as well as A4s (of any suit) that beats you, sets and weaker overpairs.

Turn seems thin versus this range as many overpairs without a heart will fold , whilst flushes and sets will call. I prefer check here, but calling a bet

On the river I think bet is fine as long as it's small, as you will face the nut flush or FH alot and are really just hoping weaker flushes call. So I think ok. You were quite deep with the CO so could have lost more and slightly surprised he didnt raise (obviously v raise you have to fold)

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont agree with others about going bigger than 3x pre. 3x is fine, 2.5x better, but if you go larger you are going to get more folds unless your opponents are bad. I wouldn't vary preflop raise size so use a size that works well for your whole range 3bb to win 1.5bb is fine.
Strange, I thought he went 2x, but I guess he did go 3x. I just looked at the pre-flop pot, not the blinds.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard open and using 3BB sizing is fine. 2,5BB might be more "correct" though, and at 10NL Zoom there are already a lot of regs. This time you got a multiway pot, but that is definitely not very common at 10NL Zoom.

Flop
On a low connected board like this and against 3 opponents an overpair is definitely not strong enough to bet almost full pot. Either opponent could have flopped a set or straight. And even when you get called by the nut flushdraw, as in fact you did, you are actually slightly behind, since that hand has 14 outs. So this is either a check or a much smaller bet.

Turn
As played this is definitely also a check. If you bet again, the only worse hands, that will call, are those with the nut flushdraw and maybe a hand like JJ with J of hearts. Since you have K of hearts, you can easily check-call.

River
Once again a clear check. Maybe you can occationally get called by a hand like that JJ with J of hearts, which just "got there" and makes a crying call. But its a paired board with 4 to a flush, and you only have the second nut flush. So really your hand is mostly a bluff catcher, and you are just value owning yourself throughout this hand in my opinion.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I

Flop is fine if a little large. You have to expect lots of nut flush draws to call, as well as A4s (of any suit) that beats you, sets and weaker overpairs.

Turn seems thin versus this range as many overpairs without a heart will fold , whilst flushes and sets will call. I prefer check here, but calling a bet

On the river I think bet is fine as long as it's small, as you will face the nut flush or FH alot and are really just hoping weaker flushes call. So I think ok. You were quite deep with the CO so could have lost more and slightly surprised he didnt raise (obviously v raise you have to fold)
I think that at lower limits our sizings are important, personally I don’t change my opening sizings 90% of times, but for every rule there are exceptions: if I note that players are super-calling stations, I don’t mind at all raising up 1 or 2 BB of my standard opening sizings.
The reason is that I intend to inflate the pot as fast as possible and by the same token turn the odds worst for my calling station opponents.
That being said, our sizings matter most postflop, where we can make huge mistakes if we change the sizings too much (specially increasing of decreasing it).
At lower limits I think that even “regulars” are too much calling stations, so no problem to vary the sizings from time to time to try some exploitation, instead of the same old GTO.
We are not programmed machines and we must use our creativity when the opportunity shows up and try to make as much value as possible.
As declared in another posts of myself, I don’t like super-opening raises, like 7 BB or more preflop, and I’m not a fan of mister “blackrain79” methods of increasing the sizing of the pot too much depending on opponents.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I

I think that at lower limits our sizings are important, personally I don’t change my opening sizings 90% of times, but for every rule there are exceptions: if I note that players are super-calling stations, I don’t mind at all raising up 1 or 2 BB of my standard opening sizings.
The reason is that I intend to inflate the pot as fast as possible and by the same token turn the odds worst for my calling station opponents.
That being said, our sizings matter most postflop, where we can make huge mistakes if we change the sizings too much (specially increasing of decreasing it).
At lower limits I think that even “regulars” are too much calling stations, so no problem to vary the sizings from time to time to try some exploitation, instead of the same old GTO.
We are not programmed machines and we must use our creativity when the opportunity shows up and try to make as much value as possible.
As declared in another posts of myself, I don’t like super-opening raises, like 7 BB or more preflop, and I’m not a fan of mister “blackrain79” methods of increasing the sizing of the pot too much depending on opponents.
I wouldn't suggest 7BB but if we keep getting community pots with AA and KK from 3BB opens, then something is going on with the fish in the pool and I feel something needs to be done about the temperature of the pool. Maybe try 3.5BB and 4BB? Especially when we don't get respect playing from UTG.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I

Remember when varying open sizes you are open to counter exploits. I have made some pretty big exploits against regs who vary their opening sizes, so if you are going to do it best when there are only fish left to act

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Remember when varying open sizes you are open to counter exploits. I have made some pretty big exploits against regs who vary their opening sizes, so if you are going to do it best when there are only fish left to act
That's exactly what I was talking about, versus recreational ones or those that we suspect to be recreational.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Your Villain is deep stacked and got the ideal flop to try and crack a big pair. Believe or not Ax suited hearts is in front on the flop,
8e1975f4245f1a0f927499dfc57873d4.png

Raising 5 bbs may have kept that an other speculative hands out, but also consider your KK may then have only won the blinds.
Many times big pairs win a small pot and lose a big one, because they are hard to release.
The other thing to consider is that this was Zoom poker. Normal rules don't seem to apply playing Zoom. You appear to have a lot more gungho chancers there. A flopped nut flush draw is a big opportunity for these guys. Always be aware of nut flush possibilities.
Your bet on the Turn keeps all the good hands that beat you in, and folds out anything that you are ahead of.

Last edited: