Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$.05/$.10
Table Format
6-max (6 seats)
Currency
$
I turned a set but my value bet on a river blank ran into a weird all in shove from preflop aggressor:

I get 4d4s on SB.

UTG straddles. HJ min raises to 30c. Then BTN reraises to 40c. BTN is a reg. I had never seen him do such a move before. I decided to call and see what happens. If there's more action then I fold.

Everyone just calls.

AdQh9c flop. I check and get ready to chuck it. But surprisingly everyone checks.

Turn is 4h.

I lead out with a 2/3 size bet. UTG and HJ fold and BTN calls.

River is 3c. Beautiful card for me. I bet $1.98 into $3.82 (rake adjusted) pot. He thinks for a few secs and shoves. I would be calling off about $6.50 against the roughly $13.50 pot. Getting decent odds though it has to be a monster right? But his line didn't make sense.

Did he flop a set of As and decided to slow play on a somewhat wet flop? QQ? I don't think he would do a preflop min raise with AA or QQ unless he was trying to induce more betting. 9s? Even more likely to bet the flop hoping others have an A or Q since 99 does not block either. That river shove was extremely confusing to me. I called.

With no straight or flush possibility, and being only afraid of AA, QQ, 99, and getting good odds, this is a call right?

Ac4c. I couldn't believe he would shove this. Villain seemed better than this. Happy to luck out with what was a 1 outer though. Been on the receiving end too often lately.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yes you cant fold here when all the draws miss. He could be value betting a rivered two pair or occasionally bluffing (ok here he turned the 2 pair). Like you say alot of sets would bet flop given and K,J or T complete a possible Broadway.

P.s. this is just a fold pre, you are getting bad odds and lots of players yet to act

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
The lowest pairs 22-44 is a fold preflop in the SB to any normal raise. And even more to a raise and a re-raise that opens up the action.

Postflop it was correctly played. Top set can be OK to slowplay since it's hard to get action on dry boards when you bet. But multiway and with some possible draws people rarely do it. And as you mention it would be a strange way to play AA pre-flop.

So you aren't afraid of anything that can occur more than maybe once in a while. Easy call on the river. The only hands that beat you only slowplay such a low percentage of the time that you can almost say they never have it.

But as mentioned in my and the earlier post by Station_Master: just fold pre-flop.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I would fold here. You are not getting great odds, when the raise is to 4BB. And even though the 3-bet by BTN is completely silly sizing (as is HJs raise), it has still reopened the betting for HJ. So some percentage of the time he might put in a 4-bet, which you cant call.

Flop
As you say a check-fold.

Turn
Totally fine leading out for value and protection.

River
Actually 52 is now a straight, but its highly unlikely, BTN has that, so for all practical intents and purposes you only lose to better sets. I think, this is an easy bet-call. QQ and 99 should mostly be bet on the flop, so the only likely slowplay is AA. And maybe he could be overvaluing two pair, as in fact he did. I am not surpriced, he did this. If someone is bad enough to make a silly min 3-bet preflop, then they are also bad enough to do many other things, that are ill adviced.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah 25 was extremely unlikely so I completely discounted it. Like I mention villain isn't bad, at least from previous hands. I have 600+ hands against him I had never seen him to something like this. I dunno what got into him.

Good advice on folding the small PP preflop. It's a leak for me.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
UTG straddles. HJ min raises to 30c. Then BTN reraises to 40c. BTN is a reg. I had never seen him do such a move before. I decided to call and see what happens. If there's more action then I fold.
Your action preflop is a fold. I don't know very much about straddles games but it seems that are bunches of multi way pots. Consider that UTG enters the pot, HJ min raises and BTN re raises, okay their sizing and actions are weird but if we do call we are generating a scenario where we do not want to hit a bottom set, because there is a great chance that it will be a 4-way hand, and our odds can be smashed very easily by any superior set or any other hand, so our action preflop dictates pretty much everything about this hand: we should've simply folded here 22-77 and wait for a better spot. We are not playing only the hand, but the ability to fold opponents is reduces against two or more players and also we are last to speak no matter what happens postflop. So what do we expect, to get quads? (rhetorical question, no making fun out of it).
No matter the outcome, there are great chances to lose in situations like this. Luck us we didn't get too much straights and no flushes completed.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know very much about straddles games but it seems that are bunches of multi way pots.
This hand was highly unusual, because there was a min-raise from 20c to 30c and then a min 3-bet to 40c. This is just button clicking and completely outside any sort of GTO strategy. But if we assume a more standard situation like an open to 50c and then maybe a call, than in a 3-blind configuration SB is basically never supposed to call. Its a pure 3-bet or fold situation, because there are two players behind, which you want to deny entry to the pot.