Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 9:heart: 8:spade:

fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 2 BB, fold, Hero calls 1 BB

Flop: (4.5 BB, 2 players) 5:diamond: 7:club: J:club:
Hero checks, BTN bets 4.3 BB, Hero calls 4.3 BB

Turn: (13.1 BB, 2 players) 4:club:
Hero checks, BTN bets 6.3 BB, Hero raises to 19.4 BB, BTN calls 13.1 BB

River: (51.9 BB, 2 players) 5:spade:
Hero bets 74.3 BB and is all-in, BTN calls 74.3 BB

Hero shows 9:heart: 8:spade: (One Pair, Fives)
(Pre 42%, Flop 29%, Turn 0%)
BTN shows Q:club: 6:club: (Flush, Queen High)
(Pre 58%, Flop 71%, Turn 100%)
BTN wins 191.5 BB

I've just started playing NL10 zoom, moving up from playing NL5 regular tables. I've immediately noticed the difference in skill is quite considerable and have a feeling I will be posting a lot of hands here now.

As for the hand. I'm happy with the preflop call. I flopped a double gutshot on a 2-tone board and planned to X/R the flop and barrel turn regardless. If I hit the straight then wahey and if not then i'm hoping to push villain off a large portion of his BTN opening range. When the turn brings the flush I figure I have to find bluffs from somewhere as my range is now value heavy and blast off all 3 streets.

Is this a spew? It feels like a spew. He isn't capped and he pots the flop sooo....

Qniversity

Qniversity

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
OK thank you. Which part of our bluff range are we taking this line with or is it best to be exploitable and have no bluffs here at nl10.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
PokerStars - $0.10 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 108.6 BB
SB: 103.1 BB
Hero (BB): 100 BB
UTG: 116.8 BB
MP: 107.9 BB
CO: 152.4 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 9:heart: 8:spade:

fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 2 BB, fold, Hero calls 1 BB

Flop: (4.5 BB, 2 players) 5:diamond: 7:club: J:club:
Hero checks, BTN bets 4.3 BB, Hero calls 4.3 BB

Turn: (13.1 BB, 2 players) 4:club:
Hero checks, BTN bets 6.3 BB, Hero raises to 19.4 BB, BTN calls 13.1 BB

River: (51.9 BB, 2 players) 5:spade:
Hero bets 74.3 BB and is all-in, BTN calls 74.3 BB

Hero shows 9:heart: 8:spade: (One Pair, Fives)
(Pre 42%, Flop 29%, Turn 0%)
BTN shows Q:club: 6:club: (Flush, Queen High)
(Pre 58%, Flop 71%, Turn 100%)
BTN wins 191.5 BB

I've just started playing NL10 zoom, moving up from playing NL5 regular tables. I've immediately noticed the difference in skill is quite considerable and have a feeling I will be posting a lot of hands here now.

As for the hand. I'm happy with the preflop call. I flopped a double gutshot on a 2-tone board and planned to X/R the flop and barrel turn regardless. If I hit the straight then wahey and if not then i'm hoping to push villain off a large portion of his BTN opening range. When the turn brings the flush I figure I have to find bluffs from somewhere as my range is now value heavy and blast off all 3 streets.

Is this a spew? It feels like a spew. He isn't capped and he pots the flop sooo....
I think that in spite of the good odds we had preflop, calling these off-suited connectors is kinda strange. If it was 98s it would be better for both calling and 3-betting preflop. We must consider the rake structure every time we decide to call a hand preflop.
On the flop we have just a gutshot, so our line here is check-raise and pray for villain to fold. Besides, villain bets almost 100% of the size of the pot, which turns our bluffing and value hands not so good.
On the turn completes a flush and we elect to raise having no combos of clubs: one point is that if we are bluffing hands like this one (gutshots with off-suited connectors) we are bluffing a great range of hands, having much more bluffs than values on our range, turning our reading easy, for we are way out of line (unbalanced).
After villain calls we must expect some strong hand. When we shove river we are giving excellent odds for villain to call with many hands that have us beat and fold only the trash hands.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
OK thank you. Which part of our bluff range are we taking this line with or is it best to be exploitable and have no bluffs here at nl10.
This question wasn’t directed to me so forgive me for I’m intruding.
To have a bluff range we first must have a picture of our villain’ profile: is it loose passive/aggressive? Tight passive/aggressive? A maniac? Etc.
When we are playing Fast Tables (Zoom) this is hard to know. Because of this problem of having no information about villain we must have a plan before entering any pot.
And many times, even when we have plenty of equity to put up a bluff villain won’t fold, and we don’t want to toss blinds into the hearth.
Pot control is one of the principles of a good game, otherwise we are bluffing and praying for some miracle to happen.
Another point is try to call less and less preflop, for the rake charges a lot. Our strategy for micro stakes, most of times is to 3-bet or fold. And when we do call, we do it with suited connectors and broadways that will have a good playability postflop, and also all of pocket pairs and suited aces.
It’s complicated to state a bluff-value range in just a few lines, for these are embedded in GTO theory. I will give just one simple example of preflop play, and recommend to you read all the cash thread, for there are many hands GTO based analyzed.

Example of balancing range preflop:

Let’s suppose we play only two hands preflop, the best and the worse. We are playing AA and 72s only. When we raise first villain, using a standard sizing of 3x for example, both for AA and 72s, villain will never know if we are opening AA or 72s. We are also only 3-betting and 4-betting with the same hands.
This example isn’t optimal because we own 6 combos of AA preflop and only 4 combos of 72s, but for the sake of didactic purposes, let’s assume they are equal.
We must have the same amount of value and bluffs for each spot we find ourselves in.
So this hand where you where bluffing your double gutshot having 98o, you will have much more bluffs than values for this situation: I would recommend at least you had one combo of clubs for doing it. And something more than 6 outs.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You would want a club in your hand, preferably the Ace of clubs

Qniversity

Qniversity

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Thank you for all your answers. So the best bluffing candidate would pretty must exclusively be Ac6x? With so few bluffs in my range and still a great deal of flushes I thought I could pull it off, ugh.

BluffTheSpot preflop bible has A6o and 98o as 50% defends BB v BTN and this is a min-raise so I don't mind this. It was my post-flop play that was horrific.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Thank you for all your answers. So the best bluffing candidate would pretty must exclusively be Ac6x? With so few bluffs in my range and still a great deal of flushes I thought I could pull it off, ugh.

BluffTheSpot preflop bible has A6o and 98o as 50% defends BB v BTN and this is a min-raise so I don't mind this. It was my post-flop play that was horrific.
The 6 would be good but optional.
Remember you would have probably folded it on the flop, so it might have to be something like As5x or As7x. There arent tons of combos to be honest so perhaps you would add Ks combos too, depending how much value you are actually raising (probably not that much, only strong flushes)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard defend.

Flop
You flopped a dubble gutter, which is a cool draw to have, because its fairly well disguised. With that being said there is a flushdraw on the board, and you dont have even a BDFD, which reduce the value of your draw. Its also a very large C-bet, which should be a range weighted more against strong made hands and good draws, that can call a raise. If he had a hand like A6 offsuit, that kind of missed completely (and might fold to a check-raise), he should not be C-betting this large. So where I might go for a check-raise against a small C-bet, when he go so large, its either just a call or even a fold.

Turn
You definitely dont want to bluff on a club turn, when you dont have a club in your hand. This was a bad card for you, since two of your outs are now very dirty, and you could already be drawing dead (as was in fact the case). So rather than turning up the aggression the prudent move here is to simply check-fold.

River
Now the board is paired, so when you jam, you are kind of saying, you have a full house. But you dont block any full houses, so once again this is just not the hand to pick for this line. A better hand would be something like 76 with 6 of clubs blocking at least some boats and flushes, that your opponent could have.

Results
Its not surpricing, he called you down with a flush. Even with the possibility of higher flushes and boats this is probably, what he is supposed to do, if we plug the hand into a solver. But you need to pick your spots better and not bluff with hands, that have low equity and bad removal.

Qniversity

Qniversity

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
This is my defending range Vs a min raise which doesn't include 3bets or folds (440 Combos)

A9s-A8s, A6s, A3s-A2s, K9s-K8s, K6s, K4s-K2s, Q9s-Q8s, Q6s, Q4s-Q2s, T6s, T4s-T2s, 96s, 94s-92s, 84s-82s, 63s-62s, 42s+, 32s, Ad7d, Ah7h, As7s, Kd7d, Kh7h, Ks7s, Qd7d, Qh7h, Qs7s, Jd6d, Jh6h, Js6s, Kh5h, Ks5s, Kc5c, Qh5h, Qs5s, Qc5c, Jh5h, Js5s, Th5h, Ts5s, Tc5c, 9h5h, 9s5s, 9c5c, 8h5h, 8s5s, 8c5c, Jd4d, Jh4h, Js4s, 7d4d, 7h4h, 7s4s, Jd3d, Jh3h, Js3s, 7d3d, 7h3h, 7s3s, 5h3h, 5s3s, 5c3c, Jd2d, Jh2h, Js2s, 7d2d, 7h2h, 7s2s, 5h2h, 5s2s, 5c2c, ATo-A8o, A6o, A4o-A2o, KTo-K8o, QTo-Q8o, T8o+, 98o, Ad7h, Ad7s, Ah7d, Ah7s, As7d, As7h, Ac7d, Ac7h, Ac7s, Ad5h, Ad5s, Ad5c, Ah5s, Ah5c, As5h, As5c, Ac5h, Ac5s, KdJh, KdJs, KhJd, KhJs, KsJd, KsJh, KcJd, KcJh, KcJs, QdJh, QdJs, QhJd, QhJs, QsJd, QsJh, QcJd, QcJh, QcJs, JdTh, JdTs, JdTc, JhTd, JhTs, JhTc, JsTd, JsTh, JsTc, Jd9h, Jd9s, Jd9c, Jh9d, Jh9s, Jh9c, Js9d, Js9h, Js9c, Jd8h, Jd8s, Jd8c, Jh8d, Jh8s, Jh8c, Js8d, Js8h, Js8c

FLOP

Facing a PSB I want to discard 50% of range. (225 Combos)

Ad9d, Ac9c, Kd9d, Kc9c, Qd9d, Qc9c, Ad8d, Ac8c, Kd8d, Kc8c, Qd8d, Qc8c, Ad7d, Ah7h, As7s, Kd7d, Kh7h, Ks7s, Qd7d, Qh7h, Qs7s, Ad6d, Ac6c, Kd6d, Kc6c, Qd6d, Qc6c, Jd6d, Jh6h, Js6s, Td6d, Tc6c, 9d6d, 9c6c, Ah5h, As5s, Ac5c, Kh5h, Ks5s, Kc5c, Qh5h, Qs5s, Qc5c, Jh5h, Js5s, Th5h, Ts5s, Tc5c, 9h5h, 9s5s, 9c5c, 8h5h, 8s5s, 8c5c, Ad4d, Ac4c, Kd4d, Kc4c, Qd4d, Qc4c, Jd4d, Jh4h, Js4s, Td4d, Tc4c, 9d4d, 9c4c, 8d4d, 8c4c, 7d4d, 7h4h, 7s4s, 6d4d, 6c4c, Ad3d, Ac3c, Kd3d, Kc3c, Qd3d, Qc3c, Jd3d, Jh3h, Js3s, Td3d, Tc3c, 9d3d, 9c3c, 8d3d, 8c3c, 7d3d, 7h3h, 7s3s, 6d3d, 6c3c, 5h3h, 5s3s, 5c3c, 4d3d, 4c3c, Ad2d, Ac2c, Kd2d, Kc2c, Qd2d, Qc2c, Jd2d, Jh2h, Js2s, Td2d, Tc2c, 9d2d, 9c2c, 8d2d, 8c2c, 7d2d, 7h2h, 7s2s, 6d2d, 6c2c, 5h2h, 5s2s, 5c2c, 4d2d, 4c2c, 3d2d, 3c2c, T8o+, 98o, Ad7h, Ad7s, Ah7d, Ah7s, As7d, As7h, Ac7d, Ac7h, Ac7s, Ad5h, Ad5s, Ad5c, Ah5s, Ah5c, As5h, As5c, Ac5h, Ac5s, KdJh, KdJs, KhJd, KhJs, KsJd, KsJh, KcJd, KcJh, KcJs, QdJh, QdJs, QhJd, QhJs, QsJd, QsJh, QcJd, QcJh, QcJs, JdTh, JdTs, JdTc, JhTd, JhTs, JhTc, JsTd, JsTh, JsTc, Jd9h, Jd9s, Jd9c, Jh9d, Jh9s, Jh9c, Js9d, Js9h, Js9c, Jd8h, Jd8s, Jd8c, Jh8d, Jh8s, Jh8c, Js8d, Js8h, Js8c

My call with 98o just about scrapes into the continuing range which is basically all pairs, all FDs my OESD, GSs and all BDFDs. It seems those 32 combos of top-end gut-shots are needed to ensure we aren't overfolding. The issue I have with my call here is that PSBs are usually much stronger at NL10 than MDF allows for so maybe I should be overfolding here but I think I'd rather have the double-gutter over 5x.

TURN

On to the spew. Villian bets half pot so I'm ditching 33% of my range (150 Combos)

For the sake of brevity I'll just continue with the value and bluff raises.

I think value raising any non AcXc flush is the value range imo. That's 29 combos but I'm not sure of what the correct X/R value:bluff ratio should be so I'll just say 1:1 and see what the best candidates are from the rest of my range.

Ac5x, Ac7x, 7d3d, 7d2d = 8 combos

These are the only hands I can find in the entire range which have decent blockers to both sets and flushes. After elimination, the only combinations I have left in my range which aren't X/R, X/C or X/F are now

{T8o, 98o} which is 24 combos so I'm actually not feeling too bad about choosing the OESD for this line. Maybe I should have picked the eight T8o and 98o combos with a club and just under-bluff the spot???

RIVER

My turn X/R bluff range would be {Ac5x, Ac7x, 7d3d, 7d2d, 98o} (20 Combos)

I think I can bluff half my turn combos? The original 8 combos are the prime candidates so I need two combos from the 98o and I want to block clubs and diamonds so meh, I guess we're jamming the river with 9c8d and 9d8c. So yes I think it was my hand selection on the turn that was the big mistake. If I had chosen the eight T8o and 98o combos with a club to X/R the turn and under-bluffed the spot I would have still had those two decent combos left on the river to bomb it with. But also I think over-folding the PSB OTF in the first place wouldn't have been such a bad idea either.

Does this seem reasonable?

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
This is my defending range Vs a min raise which doesn't include 3bets or folds (440 Combos)
Which part of this range you are 3-betting? How often do you 3-bet?
Are you calling a 100% with these 440 combos versus min raise?
And versus 2.5x, 3x, 3.5x and 4x opening raises? How much do you call and 3-bet? Using which part of your range?
Do you ever change your range depending on villain’s profile?

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Note MDF doesnt really apply when you are defending from BB, you are meant to overfold usually as you are at a range disadvantage and were only calling due to pot odds, then on turn and river you have a stronger range that can defend appropriately

Qniversity

Qniversity

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Which part of this range you are 3-betting? How often do you 3-bet?
Are you calling a 100% with these 440 combos versus min raise?
And versus 2.5x, 3x, 3.5x and 4x opening raises? How much do you call and 3-bet? Using which part of your range?
Do you ever change your range depending on villain’s profile?
For the first two questions, I use the BluffTheSpot preflop bible ranges but I am guilty of still overfolding a little bit because I don't think I'm a good enough player to play that many hands just yet.

Question three yes I change my ranges based on opening size, bigger the raise, tighter the range. Weaker the player, wider the range. I use intuition so my range is like a sliding scale based on my opponent. I try to follow the preflop bible for the 3bet ranges but the BB v BTN 3bet range is utterly insane. I basically use a tighter, linear 3bet range. BB v BTN would be something like 88+, Suited broadways and A5-A2s but again that depends on the opponent.

I always change my range depending on villain profile.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop and flop ok. On the turn I don't understand your bluff, because if I'm not mistaken, you don't have 68s defending preflop, so you shouldn't worry about blocking those values. You could also be short of flushes that now V could have hit.
The river is reasonable, although I don't really like it for these stakes. Your villain is already engaged and this would be a bad beat for him, at worst. As played you should check the river and give up, since you don't have many hands in your range that have enough strength to make your opponent fold.
Greetings.