SB: 134.4 BB
Hero (BB): 110 BB

UTG: 39 BB
MP: 107.1 BB
CO: 127.1 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K:diamond: 8:spade:

fold, fold, fold, fold, SB raises to 3 BB, Hero raises to 10 BB, SB calls 7 BB

Raising as a bluff, I believe pool raises from the SB too much, so if they are bluffing, or have a weak hand, they can easily over-fold

Flop: (20 BB, 2 players) T:diamond: 5:diamond: A:club:
SB checks, Hero bets 7.6 BB, SB calls 7.6 BB

CBet to rep Ax with a back door flush. Again, I think this flop is good for my range and he can have a lot of air here - he calls, not great he could easily have Ax, or could just be calling a small cbet with a draw or middling hand

Turn: (35.2 BB, 2 players) K:club:
SB checks, Hero bets 26.4 BB, SB calls 26.4 BB

A big bet continuing the story of repping Ax while gaining some equity, villain calls which is not ideal - this now feels like Ax, Kx most of which beat me, or a flush draw - I block natural diamond flush draws with K:diamonds, villain could have, they could also have turned a club draw

River: (88 BB, 2 players) 8:diamond:
SB bets 90.4 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 66 BB and is all-in

Villain jams really quickly, which makes me suspicious -
Villains value range I now beat Ax, Kx (except AK,KT)
Villains value range I lose to is AK, KT, QJs, diamond flush, although I block a lot of 3bet preflop calls with K:diamonds, sets.
Villains bluffs are missed club/diamond draws, J9s

I think this is a bad call against pool, I need 30% equity to call and I am not sure pool bluffs enough but in game, I make the call hoping they have Ax and not a diamond flush

SB shows 5:club: 6:club: (One Pair, Fives)
(Pre 42%, Flop 74%, Turn 32%)
Hero shows K:diamond: 8:spade: (Two Pair, Kings and Eights)
(Pre 58%, Flop 26%, Turn 68%)
Hero wins 209 BB

Didn't think they would call 3bet pre with this hand as most players do not find enough calls with low suited connectors in NL10.

Let me know you thoughts on this

C

canbora

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yeaaaaaaaaaah. I dont like any of it. At 10NL. There is no "range" Its "any two cards". You're opponent can literally have ANYTHING here. Any set, any two pair, any xx flush. They can have 9 6 of diamonds and have you smashed

However, it sure does seem like a steal doesnt it? I honestly don't know whats right here other than to say..proooooooooobably shouldn't have been here in the first place, but at this point thats besides the point. The Question is, what do we do when here?

Honestly, Yeah... make the call.

But you lost didn't you?

Just a note. I get why you did what you did. I don't like the 1/3 pot bet. I know solvers "teach" us to do that. I mean... whats that doing unless you're targeting someone to have absolutely nothing or you're value betting. And at this level stake, they aren't folding. I would have either just checked for pot control or C bet larger to see where you are. maybe even 2/3, At least half pot. And fold to a large raise. And then checked the turn. I don't know if it would have turned out much different though. Its a messed up hand, or else it wouldn't be here.

Looking forward to the results. I hope you won.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
SB: 134.4 BB
Hero (BB): 110 BB
Effective stacks are a bit deeper. Pay attention to this. Okay, we can wide our range a bit in situations like this and of course SB could be over stealing. But when this is the case per se, they fold to a 3-bet right on the spot. When SB calls our 3-bet we must reconsider our bluffing according to the flop texture.
fold, fold, fold, fold, SB raises to 3 BB, Hero raises to 10 BB, SB calls 7 BB
Here we can go for 12 BB so we can achieve more fold equity. Considering our total hole cards (K8o) I don't think this is a good spot for bluffing preflop. We are overbluffing a little, but if we are certain that the SB is over-stealing, that could be okay. Remembering that our plan is to get a lot of folds preflop. This hand will not play very good postflop after SB calls our 3-bet. There will be a ton of hands that dominate our range on the flop.
Raising as a bluff, I believe pool raises from the SB too much, so if they are bluffing, or have a weak hand, they can easily over-fold
Yes, this is our intention as I mentioned before. We want them to fold a lot here.
Flop: (20 BB, 2 players) T:diamond: 5:diamond: A:club:
SB checks, Hero bets 7.6 BB, SB calls 7.6 BB

CBet to rep Ax with a back door flush. Again, I think this flop is good for my range and he can have a lot of air here - he calls, not great he could easily have Ax, or could just be calling a small cbet with a draw or middling hand
Now what do we want here? Okay that we might block some combos of Kx and try to represent AK as long as we own the king. But we really believe that villain would call with K7, K6, K4...? Or villain would defend JT, QT, KT, T9? If we believe it so, okay, we can continue our story and bluff. Otherwise, if we have no other information over villain, we could simply check, maintain the pot size slow and wait for a diamond on the turn.
Turn: (35.2 BB, 2 players) K:club:
SB checks, Hero bets 26.4 BB, SB calls 26.4 BB

A big bet continuing the story of repping Ax while gaining some equity, villain calls which is not ideal - this now feels like Ax, Kx most of which beat me, or a flush draw - I block natural diamond flush draws with K:diamonds, villain could have, they could also have turned a club draw
After villain called our 3-bet preflop and our c-bet flop I don't think this turn card would ever change it's mind. Our plan is to abort the hand as long as the pot isn't that big and wait for another opportunity. Do we know the ability of this particular villain to fold some Ax? If we were certain that it could fold some A2, A3, A4, A6, A7, okay betting. If we do not believe it we must check it back and wait for the river.
River: (88 BB, 2 players) 8:diamond:
SB bets 90.4 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 66 BB and is all-in

Villain jams really quickly, which makes me suspicious -
Villains value range I now beat Ax, Kx (except AK,KT)
Villains value range I lose to is AK, KT, QJs, diamond flush, although I block a lot of 3bet preflop calls with K:diamonds, sets.
Villains bluffs are missed club/diamond draws, J9s

I think this is a bad call against pool, I need 30% equity to call and I am not sure pool bluffs enough but in game, I make the call hoping they have Ax and not a diamond flush
Now we are almost comitted to the pot and this is a hard decision. 30% equity to call, that's fine but poker is not only based on numbers and statistics. We must use our instincts and common sense in order to make the most profitable decisions.
I quote your entire hand in order not to see the spoiler.
I think you played the hand fine, given the overall info, but you can play even better if you observe attentively those things I talked about.

S

SrMartis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Hello buddy!

I'm playing NL4 and most of the time I did some plays like this and guess what, I lost after the call.

In rare cases I got some bluffs and win.

Here's what I would do:

Pre flop: OK, same.

Flop: OK, I'm with you.

Turn: Your main objetive of steal was not completed Pre-flop and the flop.

Now that I have some equity, I'll check back to control the pot size and try to get my hand to the showdown instead of bluff.

River: You have some scenarios:

Now he has a less risk reward ratio to bluff you by shoving like this.

Because by check-in he can think you can have the draw and he can now try to bluff you with another bet size and you could call with a better pot ods using yout hands as bluff catcher maybe.

If the shove aganist you that's and easy fold for me unless I'm pretty sure he's a maniac. In this scenario I would certainly consider my K as a blocker and make the call.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I did not check the solver or charts, but pretty sure K8o is supposed to be played as just a call, while K8s might be 3-bet some percentage of the time. But ok you state, why you did it, and I dont know your player pool, so no objections here.

Flop
This looks like a flop, that can be basically range bet, and like you say, you have a BDFD, which is at least something. Without that maybe its a giveup? It is difficult to have a much worse hand, since its a 3-bet pot.

Turn
For me this is a key point in the hand, and I think, this bet is a major mistake. Your hand dont need protection, so the only valid reasons for betting is to get worse hands to call or better hand to fold, and neither of this will happen often enough. If he has a worse hand like JJ-QQ or TX, he is probably going to fold it facing this large bet, since he now only have third pair, and even if he has a gutshot, he is not getting the odds to draw.

Whereas if he has a better hand, he is usually going to call. He is not folding top pair, when its a blind vs. blind battle, and KX with a better kicker is a very small part of his range. Your hand is to in between to bet here, and the play is to check back and try to get to showdown. If he bet the river, you make a decision, and if he check, you check back, unless you have improved to two pair or trips, in which case you bet for value.

River
Interesting card and action, since it gives you two pair, but it also complete the frontdoor flushdraw, and the opponent donk shoves into your face. I think, we can all agree, that he is not doing this for value with a worse hand than yours, so its a bluff catching spot. It is relevant to have Kd, because it block some flushes, he might shove for value. But Kd is not as relevant a blocker as Ad, since he will have far more nut flushes in his range than K high flushes. So I would rather call here with AQ or AJ with A of diamonds instead of K8 with K of diamonds.

Also while donk bets are sometimes bluffy, on a river card, that complete draws, its pretty common to donk for value. If he has a flush or even a set or a strong two pair and check here, you are just going to check back a lot and not pay him. So there is a lot of value in his range, and its difficult to find natural bluffs, unless he is turning made hands into a bluff like AX with A of diamonds. This is something, you might see in a high stakes game but rarely at 10NL. So I think, this is a fold, even though it sucks to fold, when you finally have a decent hand like two pair.

Results
So he did in fact turn a made hand into a bluff. Not top pair with the nut blocker but bottom pair with no relevant blocker. Clearly this hand should have folded on the turn and probably also preflop. So it seems like, you ran into the particular kind of opponent, who just never gives up. If you had that kind of read, then well done, but if he was just a random unknown, I dont like this line. The main problem though is the turn bet. If you check back turn, his range is much weaker, if he bet the river, and then you have an easy call with two pair and a flush blocker assuming normal sizing.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Turn is the biggest error here. No need to turn second pair into a bluff as you will tend to only get called by better and have worse fold.

For me river is a fold, as there are so many flushes available and few natural bluffs.