£1/£2 Live Gutshot Club Ring Game - Went Bad.

P

Paul_G

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

This hand actually happened a while ago in a live cash game playing at the Gutshot in London - R.I.P. The game was £1/£2 pot limit holdem. My stack was ~£300. Most at the table were around this stack. I'm relatively new to the table. Been in for about 1 orbit. I think I've remebered the numbers right...

I'm in the BB and catch the rockets. There are 4 limpers in the pot including the SB and the button. There's £10 in the pot. I raise to narrow the field a little to make it another £8 to go. I get two callers - 1 in mid position and the button. The pot is now £34.

The flop hits Ace, Jack, Ten. Sorry can't remember the suits.
So I've tripped and quite happy, but the board looks potentially nasty to me.

I stick in a bet of £25 and get 2 callers. The pot now contains £109

Turn comes out another J. I've progressed to a boat. Very nice. I bet again to £60. The mid position folds but then the button reraises me all in. Ouch!

So I run though the hand in my head. What did I do, what does he think I have, what does he have etc.

1. I raised in the BB. He called. So I possibly have him on something half decent. The fact he's on the button opens his range up though. He could have a pocket pair or AK maybe. Would he raise me with AK, don't know, since I'm coming out with guns blazing in the BB.
2. With the flop A,T,J I bet out a decent amount and he called again. Did he hit the straight, trip up, have the other Ace with a J?
3. Turn comes out with another J. The button pulls out a bazooka! Bam he raises me all in. Talk about a big bang. First reaction is to jump for joy and get it in quick. But I sit back and have a good think. That's a might statement he's just done there.

What does he think I have? Well, I played the hand like AA in the BB and right the way through to the river. I suppose he could think that I got the straight also. Would I have played like that with a KQ in the BB (possibly suited) - doubtfull, but I'm new to the table - he can't be sure. Could I have TT? Possible Or JJ? Equally possible. What other hands could he have me on in the BB under these conditions? Not a lot.

What do I think he has? Doubt he has KK or QQ. The only hands I could put him on were either a TT, JJ or KQ or a bluff. The bluff was unlikely due to my williness to get the money in, in this early position. He must have suspected I'd probably call this bet, so a bluff imo would be quite foolish. The one hand that seemed to scream out at me was quads believe it or not, although the least likely.

The clock got called, I call, he turns over quads. Wipes me out. Very nice hand. Had him, but and he hit 1 out to take it down.

Now I was talking to a guy to my left and he called me an idiot for calling?
He said it was obvious what this guy had. I did suspect he had quads and told him his hand when I called it. This guy then started babbling on about how I should have raised differently. Although I can't see anyway out this situation. The guy in mid position agreed. He said that he'd folded the straight and so made a good lay down.

So my questions are:
1. Would you have called the allin?
Normally, I'd do it in a heartbeat here. My boat is impossible to lay down thinking he hit a 1 outer with quads - but there's not a lot of hands to choose from. Moreover, my gut had convinced me he had quads. It really was hurting me to call this bet - my stomach was turning over saying it was wrong.

2. Would you have bet any differently?
I thought my betting was solid enough, but will be willing to listen to any differences of opinion.

3. Was the mid position player correct in laying down the hand after my bet? - assuming he did actually have the straight. My bet wasn't an over the top bet. It was quite reasonable I thought.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks absolutely standard to me. The guy holding the straight is criminally bad for not raising the flop while he was ahead. On turn, boat vs. quads are always playing for stacks playing 150bb deep and it's just a cooler.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say this is really standard. You didn't do anything wrong, and neither did the other players. You really can't fold in fear of the quads. Quads are the only thing you lose to and you still have an out to win the hand.

Organize a Home Poker Game Top 10 Games