0.05/0.10 NLHE Full Ring: Did I mishandle my nut flush draw on the flop?

D

dordordor

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker Stars - $0+0 Tournament (#0) - Blinds: 0.05/0.10 No Limit Hold'em (7 players)
Poker Stars Hand Converter Tool from CardsChat.com

SB: $10.20
BB: $10.90
UTG Hero: $10.40
MP: $16.34
MP+1: $8.00
CO: $9.12
BTN: $10.00
hustfool - Sitting Out

Pre-flop: ($0.15) Hero is UTG and dealt :qc4: :ah4:
Hero raises to $0.30, 2 folds, CO calls $0.30, BB folds

Flop: ($0.75) :kh4: :3h4: :8h4: (2 players)
Hero bets $0.60, CO calls $0.60

Turn: ($1.95) :kh4: :3h4: :8h4: :10s4: (2 players)
Hero bets $2.20, CO calls $2.20

River: ($6.35) :kh4: :3h4: :8h4: :10s4: :8s4: (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $3.50, Hero ???

Did I completely misplay my nut flush draw on the flop? I feel like this guy had the flush from the beginning. Maybe J-10 suited, or Q-K suited, or even suited connectors.

Thoughts? What move do I make on the river and what should I have done earlier?

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
idk how i feel about the flop bet....but definitely the pot-sized bet on the turn is a big mistake, your drawing to a flush with 9 outs, so you need roughly 4/1 odds to call, but betting the pot is not a good move here,

i would of probably check the flop and depending on his bet either call or fold...same strategy for turn bc at these stakes i dont think anyone is paying enough attention to actually put you on a big draw or anything

as played, i dont see how you can call the river with ace high here?

D

dordordor

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I ended up folding the river because I thought the same thing, "There's no way I can call with Ace high."

I agree with your thoughts on the turn, however. I thought about just checking the turn but I felt if I bet the pot if he was chasing his flush like me he would fold. He called without hesitation so that's why I figured at that point he had the nuts.

Thank you for your reply. Looks like I need to place a bit more ABC.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How could he have the nuts?

But I agree the big turn bet is weak. If he has, say the Q high flush draw, perfect, river hits heart and you take his money, if he misses, you follow through and he folds his Q high. I don't understand your reasoning for betting the turn so big.

D

dordordor

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
By the nuts I mean he came in with something suited so he's already holding the flush per the flop. I'm just gonna put him on J-10, Q-10, K-10, or some mid suited connector potentially and if he is halfway considering my hand in comparison to his own he probably put me on a draw and figured I missed once the river came.

My bet on the turn, albeit I now fully see it was pretty poor, was my way of trying to further determine if he had a stronger hand than me. More common than not I see 10NL players commonly call a c-bet on the flop but fold it up once they miss on the turn. If they continue to call on the turn they either have their hand already, or they are riding their single pair to the death. It's hard to say as every villain is different.

Perhaps my thoughts on this are a bit off and I would love for anyone to shed some light on the theory. I'm coming to the conclusion from replaying the hand and this discussion that I basically threw money away on the turn. I understand that my pot-sized bet on the turn was way out of my pot odds which leads me to believe that checking the turn and following through with his bet would have been the best option for me. If he made a bet within my pot odds I could call, otherwise it's an easy fold on the turn and I avoid losing more money.

Thank you both for your insight. Discussions on this forum seem to be a great way to improve.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only mistake on the turn was the size of the bet, it doesn't need to be so large. Also stop giving him credit for flopping a flush, if you actually hold suited cards you will flop a flush about 1% of the time, so virtually never. You also have the Ah so he can't even draw to the nuts.

Flop bet is great, maybe a little large but it's fine, we have a K high board after raising UTG against what I assume is a wide CO range (you didn't give any stats/reads for the opponent) and a draw to the nut flush which is about 30% equity with lots of fold equity.

Turn is damn near perfect giving us a fairly high card and adding a gutshot again to the nuts so 12 clean outs or 24% to the nuts with still a bunch of fold equity (I assume again without stats). I'm betting every time against most opponents, just a bit less than you we only need to bet like $1-1.20 as if he has the flush draw he's calling anyway and we want him to, but if he has like 99-77, 87/98 and maybe a weak to good K we can get folds.

The river is pretty meh and it comes down to reads a lot of the time. If he's called this far I don't think he is giving up on that river and it may have improved his hand. We're effectively trying to fold out a tiny part of his range (like KQ or something). If he has somekind of tardo draw and he bluffs then good for him but I'm probs check/folding the river too.

Even though you ended up check/folding the river and you lost the hand, what I want you to understand is that this doesn't make the decisions you made earlier on in the hand wrong. Sure you look back and he called the turn but when you add up your hand equity and perceived fold equity, I think a bet is correct.

I admit I'm a bit aggro and I play 6-max but there's 7 players sitting down and I don't believe you played it badly at all. Now if you tell me the villain was 65/5 or a 6/6 with 80% fold to c-bet over 100 hands then you can go ahead and ignore all of the above :)

REI53

REI53

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO he can't have a flush in that hand, otherwise he would rr the turn...he have something like TPTK...he can't have 2 pairs or set because he didn't rr on the flop/turn...so u should have shoved on the river.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is 10nl, he could easily have flopped the 10 high flush or something to that nature and slow played it thinking hes already got the winning hand

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMO he can't have a flush in that hand, otherwise he would rr the turn...he have something like TPTK...he can't have 2 pairs or set because he didn't rr on the flop/turn...so u should have shoved on the river.

Don't base what other players must or can't have based on how you think it should be played

Sysvr4

Sysvr4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do we have any kind of read on our villain? Without one, I play it the same (except maybe a 1/2 pot bet on the turn) and then fold the river.

L

liguolong

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is definitely a fold on the river. Considering you demonstrated a strong hand by betting twice, he should expect you to call his bet, so that is unlikely be a bluff. But I would rather check on turn and maybe even on flop.

Full Flush Poker Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands