dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
okay had this happen a few times in live poker
We are heads up to either the turn or river
Guy bets and I re raise him big. He tanks and makes a speech which I don’t listen too. I just look at the guy and try to make no conversion Then he folds showing me his cards. Then gets mad or upset that I don’t show him my cards.
Don’t sure if this common practice now a days.
Observe another situation when player A ask player B to show if he folds and player B obliges and show his bluff/strong hand
Maybe I mutter okay. But I hate when guys talk a lot when tanking and stares at me and I don’t like to engage other than saying “okay “ to shut them up cause I know they are angling me me for info
I just take the pot when they fold and throw my cards in face down and the dealer doesn’t re I force that I show anything.

Last edited:
playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a no talk policy during hands....it really screws up the future of your session or MTT.

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And that's how you should do it. When some players start to ask over and over again to show, more chances you got to make them tilt and lose concentration.

ANATOLII1981

ANATOLII1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Voluntary display of your own cards can cost you dearly, since you provide free information to your opponents. This gap can be closed by refusing to show your cards in principle. Nevertheless, the optimal strategy still seems to be the display of maps in individual, carefully selected cases. A complete rejection of the display of maps is only a small deviation from the optimal strategy, in the worst case, this is only a small blot. But the demonstration of cards at the wrong time can be a gross and costly mistake.:bandit::bandit::bandit:

rikisrakis

rikisrakis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're in no way obliged to show if your opponent folds. It's free information that you shouldn't be giving away, unless you have a good reason for showing; some people like to show their bluffs to make their range appear wider than it is. If someone gets pissed about you not showing, that's just more advantage for you, because if nothing else that player is more likely to call you down next time out of sheer frustration (so maybe try to avoid bluffing them in the near future in this situation).

The "will you show if I fold" situation is a different beast. I tend to either stay quiet or say something ambiguous, because giving a yes or no answer is providing a lot of information. However I do think that if you say yes, you should probably show your cards when they fold. I see the value in saying yes as a bait to make them fold, but in terms of etiquette it seems a bit wrong.

D

Dontnonothin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think he was fishing for information when asking if you would show if he folded. If you agreed and then did not show, he might think that this is against poker ettiquete. I guess that is why he got mad. But of course, he cannot really expect you to show your hand.

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think he got mad because you said "Okay" to his question. You aren't obligated to show your cards (never do it anyway, unless you think it will be good to put them on tilt mode, they will pick up information and you will have to change gears, or they will easily read you). But when you said "Okay" he understood that you were breaking a courtesy, so just let clear to the table (before the hands starts) you don't like talking while playing.

D

Dontnonothin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a no talk policy during hands....it really screws up the future of your session or MTT.

So here is, what I disagree with: Poker is not just about the cards and the odds. It is mostly about psychology, and the talking is a big part of that.

If we are talking about oline poker, I fully agree with you.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

It don't matter if you show or don't show. I like to show. It helps and it don't help. The person is suppose to know when your bluffing and when your not bluffing. You get them in that guessing game. It does backfire they get you like that. It is really the same if you show or don't show.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I rarely show in that instance. Like the fact the a guy shows and gets bent. Always to my advantage having someone pissed with money at a poker table. Might even of said I didn't want to show a bluff just to get them going more.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So here is, what I disagree with: Poker is not just about the cards and the odds. It is mostly about psychology, and the talking is a big part of that.

If we are talking about oline poker, I fully agree with you.

I'v seen on youtube plenty of times especially live at the bike where the guy talked and screwed up his bluff or was very comfortable talking and screwed up their value bet. Either way semi intelligent players will sniff you out.............DON'T TALK....Show at your own risk. They should pay to see.

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dont pay attention to those guys,if some one dont pay to see your cards,u are not forced to do so.

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know why poker players get so mad about that its a part of the game:0) you show them and you basically show your game:0) so good for you bro keep up the good games:0)

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would not show, like you I dont talk while in the hand. Not really when I am not in a hand either. I just stare at the middle of the table going over possible hands in my head.
One time near the end of tourney I was doing my thing and I went my standard 3 BB bet, one guy keeps trying to get my attention hard. i finally realize he is talking to me. What? I say, he says you can not have AA every time you bet like that. Caught off guard I say no. He goes all in, I call and as am showing my cards I say this time I do though.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
okay had this happen a few times in live poker
Guy bets and I re raise him big. He tanks and makes a speech which I don’t listen too. I just look at the guy and try to make no conversion Then he folds showing me his cards. Then gets mad or upset that I don’t show him my cards.
Observe another situation when player A ask player B to show if he folds and player B obliges and show his bluff/strong hand
Maybe I mutter okay. But I hate when guys talk a lot when tanking and stares at me and I don’t like to engage other than saying “okay “ to shut them up cause I know they are angling me me for info

I just take the pot when they fold and throw my cards in face down and the dealer doesn’t re I force that I show anything.

He most certainly COULD have seen your cards. All he had to do is pay the bet !

He flips his cards up when he mucks? FANTASTIC ! Give you more info.

Show him your cards? Why ? NEVER !

Keep dong whatever your opponent is not comfortable with.

Good luck !

V_Sigme

V_Sigme

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
when me and my friends playing IRL we politely ask to see the hand, if smbd dont whant to it's ok, mb that was missunderstanding. anyway it only depends on you, to show hand or not, just be honest.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had a guy who I learned quickly was a hell of player(meaning a winning player). He was very sociable and quite a character. But he got to get people to show their hands cause he showed his own hands for a few hands in a row, and was so personable.

He made a comment to me, after realizing I wasn't showing any hands. We were in a hand I had the second nuts in, And said I'll fold if you show. I said i'll show if you bet. He folded and laughed.

Completely different energy than what the original poster dealt with. But asking in and of itself is not necessarily a negative, nor does it need to be addressed imo.

E

EL1t1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless they are super fishy and you want to make friends with them to keep them in the game etc, u have no reason to show, i would literally just ignore the guy once i told him i wont show my cards, i couldnt care less if someone gets mad at me at a poker table, lol. whats he gonna do ? u got nothing to worry about most players wouildnt and would support you and your decision not to show the cards, just ignore the guy and move on, but if table is super fishy i wouldnt mind showing either once in a while just to "keep it friendly" guys like that you can make alot of money from.

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
I never show my cards, when not required to do so. If I am asked to, my polite answer is always, “Sorry, you will need to call to see them”.

If they ask again later, my answer is “As I have said before, you would need to pay to see them”. That has always been enough.

It is important that you do not let guys like that, get under your skin. For me, it is just one polite answer and then I do not engaged any further, for that hand.

J

jbear54321

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You aren't obligated to show your cards. I wouldn't show them either.

Pharaoh39

Pharaoh39

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you play with this guy that gets angry often?

crimsonblur

crimsonblur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just stare him down to assert your dominance and tell him he folded the best hand.

B

bzvz222

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Knowing when it's good to show what you had is a good part of the poker fun, I think that in most times is better to not show.

M

mekhmanr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
passs

Folding in Poker