Poker usernames...do they matter? Do you care?

J

johnoman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm wondering what peoples thoughts are on poker usernames.

I'm sure I have read a post once where some say that their username is a big deal; while others couldn't care less.
For some reason I have a bit of an issue at the moment with it (probably unnecessarily). For example, my current stars username is the same as my username on here, one that I made when I very first started playing poker.
I'm not all too happy with the username but unfortunately it is stuck with me on these sites now.

Do you care what your username is? Is your username a one made years ago when you first started playing? Do you use different ones for different poker sites? Am I being stupid putting this much thought into my poker username?

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you can apply to pokerstars to change your username.

J

johnoman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh can you? I didn't think that you could. In case it created an unfair advantage to other players who have built up reads on your style of play.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the player's name may indicate that he is not new to the world of poker and should be treated with caution
I read this somewhere on poker learning theory

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t care about the others usernames, but I also care about my username. I really dislike my pokerstars username, I had 18 years when I created and makes no sense now. And unfortunately pokerstars doesn’t allow to change usernames. :(
At least I like all my others usernames in the others rooms :)

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh can you? I didn't think that you could. In case it created an unfair advantage to other players who have built up reads on your style of play.

I think you can try, but in my experience it’s almost impossible. Pokerstars only changes usernames if the player can prove it that your username is affecting your real life (like if you put your real last name in your username). :(

FastEddie777

FastEddie777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker Name

I'm wondering what peoples thoughts are on poker usernames.

To most people it represents something to them. How they feel about themselves or how they want to project themselves at the table. There are other persons who could care less. You know, those names like 12345xyx, or abcdefg123, or something without thought. Some names are very creative. Those usernames make you say, "why didn't I come up with that username?". Mine name is a combination of my name, my favorite pool player and my lucky numbers. GLTU at the tables.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I start with the assumption that a names which look like not a lot of thought went in to it are people who don't take poker too seriously, unless they are deliberately trying to mislead you and they are crushers. Ha ha. I use Redrydinhood on ACR cause I used to play a poker game with fictional characters and I would choose Red Riding Hood when I played it. Plus I like that she wears a hoodie/cape (good poker attire :) and that she seems sweet,but you never know if the wolf is under that cape. Ha Ha. I do use different names on different sites.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think you can try, but in my experience it’s almost impossible. Pokerstars only changes usernames if the player can prove it that your username is affecting your real life (like if you put your real last name in your username). :(

Correct. I believe the only time I have heard someone 'allowed' to change their username on PokerStars was an ambassador and I can't quite recall who that was.

As regards usernames, I do not really care what people use, but as I already had an idea you were stuck with that name for good, I chose simply. Many regret their initial choice.

And also - I use different names across every platform as I like the idea of as much anonymity as I can muster!

E

eluwinka0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that the username doesnt matter much. Maybe only for the best poker players, where many people knows his aliases

muse713

muse713

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Someone tweeted that they saw Potamophobia as a screen name and had to google it. Love it!

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe some names show just the opposite the way the players like to play or have it as a main feature, but could be not. But it doesn't interfere my game at all. Indeed it shows a bit fun players expressing themselves by their nicknames.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe it shows the age of the user sometimes,,,,which is useful when u know your playing an 18 yr old.;)

J

johnoman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good point yes

As long as it doesn't affect my game (which it doesn't) I should stop worrying about it.

Szyilard

Szyilard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi!

I think it’s not your username that matters, it’s how much money you’ve already uploaded to the site. My position is that I would have a better chance of winning with my old name that I had already topped hundreds of dollars with than if I were making a new one that I had just started a tournament with and had only topped $ 20. Of course, there will be those who disagree with me because they have an example of winning under the new name, but that will be less.

Szyilard

AllenKll

AllenKll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a username is just a necessary way to access a site. The fact that it can be customized is a fun feature, but it is not important to the game.

I've seen the gamut of user names from 15 digit random numbers to fun plays on words to the old boring bob1972. It doesn't matter. What matters is that you can remember the user name when logging into the site.

Personally, I like a consistent online presence. It allows those that wish to find me to do so. Some people want to be more anonymous, because of the "scary internet people," and they have that right too.

In the end it doesn't matter. If you want a different name, make a new account.

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Names

user names don't matter much to me as I am there to play my cards not some name. Have seen some pretty interesting names used but again others names don't much matter to me.

GL ALL! :D

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think some user names are tells that show their skill level.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't put too much stock into usernames. Only if they use the same name on multiple sites.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A few things can be deduced from the username, but this style of play can still be modified by the given player. So a little can be deduced from it but I don’t think much.

RimworldDoctor

RimworldDoctor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes usernames can tell you a little bit about the player. If they have numbers or X's after their names, that means they wanted to get registration out of the way and play. Thus, they might be more aggressive. I've met plenty of fish like this.

On the flip side, those who have well thought out usernames might be slower, more thoughtful players that can be more capably bluffed out.

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
i like to use the names of people I know on different sites...throws everyone off.

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't care, I used to try to classify villains by nicknames @_@

medusegorgon

medusegorgon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tbh I care about mine nickname)) But not about the others. Anyways it's still kinda amusing - analyze their nicknames while playing long distance session.