Poker usernames...do they matter? Do you care?

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It can matter, a lot of times their names denote the opposite of their style of play.

AndyGamesPoker

AndyGamesPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It matters when studying your opponents tendencies.

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello, in my particular case the usernames do not matter. In yes, those that if it goes without saying the best known, the stremers and those people: D

RichardHeard

RichardHeard

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think usernames can be read into for population trends. My username is my RichardHeard and I believe others see me as a tight/passive player because it is boring and lacking creativity (so how could I manage a creative play?) When really, I'm just using it to create consistency with my Twitch streaming "brand".

Usernames do affect my biases, even when I do not want them to. I tend to see name+birth years as tight/aggressive. Birth years, and hence age, can be a good indicator of one's style. Whereas I'll see someone called "Bluffinator" as a loose/aggressive. I feel that most people choose their username when they start on a site as a representation of themselves, without trying to cleverly deceive everyone before they sit down.

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree

I do believe that usernames gives you a sense of pride of who you are and hoe you want to be seen on a table. So for me yes it is important to a certain point.

p0kerh0ntaz

p0kerh0ntaz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
eeehm n0pe

humans, lol ... what does anyone expect from someone ?

S

souza155

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't care much about the username, but if it bothers you, I think it's not a silly concern, sometimes when you signed up on the site, you thought the name you chose was cool, now you don't like it anymore.

T

tata777rus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The name in poker is important to me. My name at pokerstars and cardschat is the same. tata is a derivative of Tatiana.:) That's what my younger sister called me, we have a difference of 11 years, but this was the first word she uttered in her life, she could not yet say the full name. :D:) Three sevens bring good luck. And rus is Russia, the country where I live.I like this name even now.

G

Gameguyguru

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This guy was named thirdlegGreg and it was just intimating. I folded every time against him 😂

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are worried about your nick name and you play at pokerstar, you already have the option to change it, you would have to ask pokerstar support.

There are people who take it seriously like their game avatar, but personally if it can be something serious since you will be registered in all the sites of the poker world with your nick name and even on the websites and the day you make a professional or goal a good tournament everyone will remember you is by your nick name.

S

sweeper21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't care about my user name. I would never use my real name, but as far as the pretend username, I don't care at all.

Artbart805

Artbart805

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker site username vs Cards Chat username

Were can you get a list of Pokerstars users names that are registered with pokerstars or GG or .... whatever site?

horscht22

horscht22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Sometimes there are some funny names, but in general i dont care about them...I only take a look if theres is a red symbol on the right corner of the name...u know what i mean ;)

steveeeee

steveeeee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont really think they matter depends on how you feel and if you think others really care Its only a handle

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think usernames suck, once you pick it, you're stuck with it for life

on some sites i picked my username all the way back around 2005, fifteen long years ago... luckily I didn't pick an embarassing name or anything like that (I'm looking at you, Phil "OMGClayAiken" Galfond LOL)... but still, the name I picked 15 years ago might have been relevant in my life back then, but today its like I'm a whole 'nother person with totally different interests and attitude about life. The name I picked then has zero meaning for me now. They should allow a username change every few months or so, for this very reason, however I don't think the major sites like poker stars have ever allowed username changes, and don't even think about signing up for a new account just so you can get a new username... because that is illegal per the terms of the site. Lovely. (Edit: perhaps I'm incorrect, someone indicated in a previous post that you can indeed change your username on stars, but since I'm a "free" American and banned from real money play on Stars by my own damn government... yeah.)

I think ignition has the best idea, just don't have any usernames and give everybody a random number which changes every time you log in so nobody can get a read on you and so nobody can use a HUD to keep track of you.

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, I don't believe that it changes anything, avatar neither.

psihoz35

psihoz35

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm wondering what peoples thoughts are on poker usernames.

I'm sure I have read a post once where some say that their username is a big deal; while others couldn't care less.
For some reason I have a bit of an issue at the moment with it (probably unnecessarily). For example, my current stars username is the same as my username on here, one that I made when I very first started playing poker.
I'm not all too happy with the username but unfortunately it is stuck with me on these sites now.

Do you care what your username is? Is your username a one made years ago when you first started playing? Do you use different ones for different poker sites? Am I being stupid putting this much thought into my poker username?

how your poker name can affect your skill or luck

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh can you? I didn't think that you could. In case it created an unfair advantage to other players who have built up reads on your style of play.

I personally do not care about my, or others, usernames. But that is just me.

As far as an unfair advantage, I very much disagree. You are both on a level playing field. You have just as much of an opportunity to read your opponents as they do you, so where is it unfair? If you do not take advantage of this, and they do, they are simply playing the same edge you have, but you are not.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think that a username should in some manner reflect who you are, so yes it does matter to me. Same goes for choosing an avatar so that it gives people a little insight into what type of a person we are. :) The internet is really such a cold place that usernames and avatars are one of the best ways to bring a little human warmth and interaction into it.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Sometimes usernames can tell you a little bit about the player. If they have numbers or X's after their names, that means they wanted to get registration out of the way and play. Thus, they might be more aggressive. I've met plenty of fish like this.

On the flip side, those who have well thought out usernames might be slower, more thoughtful players that can be more capably bluffed out.
Very perceptive. :)

kkuk

kkuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hi.I don't care what the opponent's nickname is.sometimes the country matters,but even then it doesn't always.and the fact that someone calls himself the God of poker, he will not play better.)

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi.I don't care what the opponent's nickname is.sometimes the country matters,but even then it doesn't always.and the fact that someone calls himself the God of poker, he will not play better.)

While I agree what you're saying... your post still made me laugh. Why?

See here:
https://www.pokernews.com/news/2020...hatifgod-wins-ept-online-main-event-38296.htm

For those not willing to click links, you really only need to see the headline:
EPT Online Day 11: "WhatIfGod" Wins EPT Online Main Event for $1,019,082
:D

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Tbh I care about mine nickname))
I'm making a note to never try staring you down if we ever play head to head. LOL!! I have fun reading some of the names, and one has given me a chill up my spine. Hopefully the achronim isn't referring to what I think that it is.

Scooopy

Scooopy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, as you name your ship, you will float