Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
We've all heard the stories (or maybe lived it) about players winning a seat to a major tournament through small-stakes satellites. There is definitely a strategy to playing to satellite into big tournaments. Is it worth it to satty in, or just play the buy-in? Should you fold that big pocket pair pre-flop on the bubble? There are a lot of factors to consider when playing satellite tournaments. That's why we put together this guide for you:

Poker Satellite Tournament Guide

Read through the article and then let us know your thoughts! Were there pointers that you hadn't considered? What are some of your satellite tips? We're all ears!

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great article, love the format. I have seen this formula around in many articles and will repeat it here because of its usefulness in determining the BI requirements for a satellite:
2000/x, where x is the percentage of the field that gets paid. The result is the minimum BIs you need to enter the satellite. Some people say you need to be rolled for the target tournament to enter the satellite but I think that's too conservative.

Bricxjo

Bricxjo

Just some happy guy
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Well, the last part spoke to me: I have been the bubble boy on a couple because I woke up with AA and the "call all in with any 2 cards" guy luckboxed it on the river. Oh well, but I have to admit, there is a bit of luck and usually a bad beat for somebody else on the road to this. I have made it in the multi-stage sattys right up to the final step for the guaranteed million dollar Sunday tourney. I have also had one of the steps cancelled because of not enough players and I had my ticket traded in for tourney bucks, which was actually great.

Do I think it is worth it? Sure, for a free buy-in. For a paid buy-in, not really.

I do think it is important not to let this looser play to affect your regular game. Too much of satty play and I don't usually play a cash game until a fresh day.

Looking forward to reading everyone's comments on this one. I am sure some may disagree with me, and that's okay.

:icon_sunn Brian

Last edited:
acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The cheap entrance is relative. It depends of the values you play. How much more expensive to play, more secure you will tend to play. An important factor is to observe the big blinds, the stacks on the table and see who is guaranteed or not.

R

RicardoInciarte

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great article,

In my opinion I dont trust in my luck, so I dislike hyper-turbo tournaments at all. I prefer normal time tournaments.

I am totally agree with satellite tournaments because they bring us the oportunity to get big tournaments with low cost. I hope some day win one. :)

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love the bit about folding ACES pre flop.

I bet there are loads of players sitting there reading this going...NOOOOOOOOOO, i simply cannot do that. And others that say they can, but when push comes to shove, they shove....and get beat by 94o hitting two pair on the board. BANG...their satellite life has gone.

It really is about weighing up the cost and benefit of your actions, and especially in relation to how many satellites you play before you start losing. I like that aspect of this advice as it really does focus your attention on cost.

Great Article...now go and play some satellites and see how you get on and how far you can get.

Good luck

BB

RidersFan

RidersFan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Satellites are a great way to take shots in tournaments above your bankroll. You should set an amount you are willing to invest in satellites to a tournament, especially online you can quickly find yourself into the target tournament for more than the buyin.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the article, very extensive and very good, has been a great help to improve some things in these games.
I think being turbos satellites should play aggressive, to try to bend the stack as soon as possible, and bank management should also be very good.

IlyaSavinov

IlyaSavinov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great article!
Satellite is a big plus and not a big expense, in which you can select with the smallest entrance!
This is beneficial for the majority of players who are given such an opportunity to get into larger and more serious tournaments in which they can play with pro players at the same table.

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Very appropriate and accurate article.
To play satellites requires a lot of discipline and strategy.
I don't think it's exactly the most profitable way to use bankroll, but it's a way for someone who has little money to invest in poker to get a chance to feel what it's like to play a high stake tournament.

vavilen_

vavilen_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many thanks for the article! poker does not stand still and we must develop with it!

Sss888111

Sss888111

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love satellites where you can qualify from a few cents to a great tournament !!

CadoARAJ

CadoARAJ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very good article. The EV +/- is very usefull and a good reason to avoid any sats.
All the satellites are with only players paying all the tickets or there are some sats that the poker site puts some money to reduce the EV- cost of the buy in for it?

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In General, I can agree with the assessment of satellites in the article. But in my humble opinion, you did not mention that a large number of satellites ends shortly before the start of the main tournament and players need to calculate their strength quite correctly, because it's hard to play in the satellite for 1-3 hours and then immediately in the main tournament. Therefore, the endurance you must train for the satellites. Of course I meant online poker.

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I very rarely play satellites, precisely because of their turbo structure. If the structure were slower, I would play more often. But still, it’s psychologically difficult for me - after I win a ticket - to lose in the main tournament

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The real point of the article is risk reward. How much does the room charge to play it vs. how much can be won.

And, as the article points out....Satellite Tournaments are essentially Survivor Tournaments. So, adjust your game !

But really....couldn't you win more in a tournament that has a different pay structure? Or even a cash game?

Good luck !

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
According to your 20% statistic, satellites are waste of money. I have only tried them a few times, and then I felt like the structure had forced me to change my game, from good "betting" to risky "gambling". Now, I only do the freeroll satellites, and pay for the real tournaments.

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Excellent guide, the good poker player has to take risks and play any satellite applying the basic knowledge of poker, there are badbets in any type of tournaments, saelites and buyin, although the satellites is a bit more difficult by the amount of maniac and fish players

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
everyone say that satellites are a good way to get your hand on a big prize , by going step by step . But from what i have read in the guide , the profit for the site that s offering the satellite is very big , and the average and chances to win the ticket are small . so if i can afford it then i should just play the main tournament without trying to win the ticket in satellite that will cost me time and maybe i will play the ticket that i want to win only in rebuys and addon . Thank you cardschat , a very useful guide , i learn many new things i didn t know about .

A

aj88xa869

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks!

Thank you very much for this! Something I desperately need and was looking around for. I'm off to reading now cheers.

Ventoman777

Ventoman777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is undoubtedly worth choosing through satellite to expensive tournaments, it gives a chance for a small amount of money to win a big prize, it is also a kind of training before the tournament.

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
very good this article satellites, is an optimal form to be able to win a wonderful collection of money without spending a lot for it but it is very difficult to play this tournament then have to be played very cautious

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
After reading this article and researched more about the tournament satellite. I'll get to play this satelites and try to get a spot for a tournament with a prize otimo paying very little to go

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great article, thank you for help, I have played a lot of satelites and didn't get really lucky at them, after reading this article I will change my strategy and play for the win

veritasi

veritasi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i really like satellites, they give opportunity to play tournaments that go beyond bankroll management. I think it's really useful article, thanks for it!

Poker Tells